The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

Shindig in Somerset got hammered last night and today - at one point thunder lightning and hail! Worst of it was the heavy rain then the sun coming out giving you hope and it then bucketing down again ( and again and again etc) sloppy wet mud conditions and the lanes all around quite flooded in places. At least I gave the wellies an outing and learnt how not to pack up a tent in the rain! 

Monday 10 Jun - Monday 24 Jun

Current indications are that the chances of high pressure or low pressure dominating are fairly balanced for this period. There is no strong signal for either dry or wet conditions being the more prominent feature of the weather. On balance, it is probable that a continuation of variable, slow moving, weather conditions are likely through much of June, similar to that which has been experienced through May. However with potentially slow moving weather systems there is still a chance that longer-lived drier, or even wetter, spells are entirely possible too. Temperatures are most likely to be around or above normal.

A chance of longer-lived drier spells 🤞

On 5/27/2024 at 12:11 AM, sedra said:

Shindig in Somerset got hammered last night and today - at one point thunder lightning and hail! Worst of it was the heavy rain then the sun coming out giving you hope and it then bucketing down again ( and again and again etc) sloppy wet mud conditions and the lanes all around quite flooded in places. At least I gave the wellies an outing and learnt how not to pack up a tent in the rain! 

I was stuck out stewarding in the rain and hail at Shindig for 8 hours on Sunday morning/afternoon.  It was amazing that people were coming in on day tickets (and overnight camping) in trainers and inappropriate clothing.  I am not sure they would have had a great experience, especially ones with kids.  It was a shame that the rain hit so hard for the final festival.

Some cars made it out, but campers were getting towed out quite regularly.  The Oxfam stewarding team in the car parks did a great job trying to get cars in and out at the same time, with only one track lane put down.

22 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

The rain this weekend was intense at times in Norwich. We were caught in a downpour on the the way home from the cinema that felt like the earth was ending. Did actually give me the fear for next month. 

We really need a good sustained period of settled weather, which we just aren't getting at the moment, not just in the UK but in the north of Europe....I'm away in Ireland and then Germany before Glastonbury and I've got my weather app tracking both those two...its the same story there too.

It could all change(and I hope it does), but if it continues like this much longer, I think we could be in for a muddy one, and it may churn up quick even if it doesn't rain much over the festival weekend given the site could possibly be sodden from a wet build for the crew. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

We really need a good sustained period of settled weather, which we just aren't getting at the moment, not just in the UK but in the north of Europe....I'm away in Ireland and then Germany before Glastonbury and I've got my weather app tracking both those two...its the same story there too.

It could all change(and I hope it does), but if it continues like this much longer, I think we could be in for a muddy one, and it may churn up quick even if it doesn't rain much over the festival weekend given the site could possibly be sodden from a wet build for the crew. 

Posted earlier, looks like at least 4/5 days of drive weather this week to come which is something at least.

On 5/25/2024 at 8:26 AM, Toilet Duck said:

Oooh, is this our first ensemble this year? Love it! (Don’t care what they say at this stage, but their appearance means we’re on the cusp!)…

No ha ha I posted one last week.

What we can say with a degree of accuracy is pressure builds this week so we are in for a dry period coming up to next weekend which should dry the site out of any residual water.

The mean of all runs retains high pressure until around 7th June.

image.thumb.png.e4aac6e3b2632e19600a819f15081a3d.png

• Like 1

Looks like the jet stream is beginning to head northwards which should bring drier and warmer weather to the south. Next few days will be changeable, then Azores fingers crossed, the site dries for the build. 
Quite happy to see the rain move up here!  (Until the end of June)

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

@The Nal  it's all your fault 🤣

747cb1f9a9cdfb62e87df667a184e633.webp.0edcb70b69f2ac29f141f8a596077d4c.webp

Britain could face one of the wettest summers on record with the Met Office reportedly warning nearly six weeks of rain could fall in just three months.
The forecaster is said to have told the Government and transport chiefs that there could be wet conditions throughout June and August.
In the same period last year, at least 2.5mm of rain fell on 40 separate days and this summer could see at least 50 damp days.
It could be the wettest summer since 1912 if rain falls on more than 55 days.
Major events such as the Trooping of the Colour, Royal Ascot, Wimbledon, the Formula 1 British Grand Prix and Glastonbury could all be disrupted by the weather.
The Met Office long-range forecast said: “The chances of a wetter-than-average period are higher than a drier-than-average one.
With the naming of Storm Kathleen, in April, the letter K was reached for only the second time since the annual storm alphabet was established in 2015.

16 minutes ago, gazzared said:

Britain could face one of the wettest summers on record with the Met Office reportedly warning nearly six weeks of rain could fall in just three months.
The forecaster is said to have told the Government and transport chiefs that there could be wet conditions throughout June and August.
In the same period last year, at least 2.5mm of rain fell on 40 separate days and this summer could see at least 50 damp days.
Major events such as the Trooping of the Colour, Royal Ascot, Wimbledon, the Formula 1 British Grand Prix and Glastonbury could all be disrupted by the weather.
The Met Office long-range forecast said: “The chances of a wetter-than-average period are higher than a drier-than-average one.
With the naming of Storm Kathleen, in April, the letter K was reached for only the second time since the annual storm alphabet was established in 2015.

Excuse me...there's no place for this kind of negativity here. 

Move along, nothing to see everyone!!

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, gazzared said:

"nearly six weeks of rain could fall in just three months."

So half the usual amount of rain then. 😆

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, briddj said:

"nearly six weeks of rain could fall in just three months."

So half the usual amount of rain then. 😆

Obviously we would say this, but this really feels like a ‘scary’ article for clicks… especially as it contradicts the long range paragraph on the Met Office website!

6 minutes ago, robahht said:

Obviously we would say this, but this really feels like a ‘scary’ article for clicks… especially as it contradicts the long range paragraph on the Met Office website!

Exactly, that's exactly what it is 👍🏼