LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

Longshot but could see a tie-in announcement if Fred again.. gets bbc sound of 2023 no.1 similar to when they did simz west holts individual announcement (but that would mean this week!) (and I don't think Fred should get it when he's already huge lol)

Fun thing on Twitter over the last few days was some band creating an account called "The Boys Are Back" and dropping clues as to who they are. Quite a lot of One Direction fans had convinced themselves it was their idols and for some reason they would be playing Glastonbury, despite all logic meaning this would be more than a little unlikely. 

Anyway, the band have now revealed themselves (I've still no idea who the are) and upset a lot of 1D fans. Lots of talk of using 1D to build excitement.

On 12/30/2022 at 10:54 PM, Matt42 said:

Saw a coachella prediction on Reddit I thought was pretty cool, got me excited to pick apart another lineup.

022D5CCA-AF3C-4160-91DC-C67CA3876593.jpeg

I don't mind Friday but the other two are god awful.

18 hours ago, Matt42 said:

It’s still only 4am west coast time so we won’t know for a while yet if it’s imminent or not. 

I didn't expect it until Wednesday morning here anyway

7 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Anyway, the band have now revealed themselves (I've still no idea who the are) and upset a lot of 1D fans. Lots of talk of using 1D to build excitement.

Do 1D fans never age? They should be able to handle mild life disappointments like this by now, surely? Hell, most of them ought to be menopausal or something.

• Downvote 3

5 hours ago, kalifire said:

Do 1D fans never age? They should be able to handle mild life disappointments like this by now, surely? Hell, most of them ought to be menopausal or something.

Ahem! Sexist… also my daughter was a massive 1D fan when they nearly won X factor. She is now… 25!

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Yeah I sat on my hands but it did annoy me. The casual chucking around of menopausal as a slur.

Um, not meant as a “slur” at all. More an admittedly cheap but entirely tongue in cheek dig at the amount of time that’s passed since 1D were at their peak.

Apologies if it landed badly. 

Edited by kalifire

27 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Um, not meant as a “slur” at all. More an admittedly cheap but entirely tongue in cheek dig at the amount of time that’s passed since 1D were at their peak.

Apologies if it landed badly. 

Thanks for a very gracious response. Admittedly it isnt as annoying as Facebook moms. Its just a bit wearying when you get over 40 to notice it everywhere. 

28 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Thanks for a very gracious response. Admittedly it isnt as annoying as Facebook moms. Its just a bit wearying when you get over 40 to notice it everywhere. 

I can appreciate that. It was honestly mentioned as a way of noting the passing of time rather than being a butt of a joke. But, lesson learned. I hadn’t recognised how it would feel for anyone for whom it’s relevant. Again, I’m sorry for being so crass. We live and we learn and I’ve done both today.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

I can appreciate that. It was honestly mentioned as a way of noting the passing of time rather than being a butt of a joke. But, lesson learned. I hadn’t recognised how it would feel for anyone for whom it’s relevant. Again, I’m sorry for being so crass. We live and we learn and I’ve done both today.

Thanks 😊 let’s just say it is never used as a compliment!

Would be nice if they were also able to drop something that was a genuine surprise as well. These 2 names have been on the cards so long that it would be a pretty underwhelming announcement. I wonder if the wait is to try and get one of the more exciting undercard announced as well. I appreciate obviously that exciting is a subjective thing but I just think something that hasn't been on every Glastonbury outlet for months a bit of a genuine surprise would be nice. 

29 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Would be nice if they were also able to drop something that was a genuine surprise as well. These 2 names have been on the cards so long that it would be a pretty underwhelming announcement. I wonder if the wait is to try and get one of the more exciting undercard announced as well. I appreciate obviously that exciting is a subjective thing but I just think something that hasn't been on every Glastonbury outlet for months a bit of a genuine surprise would be nice. 

gnr will be a genuine surprise to plenty of people, who'll be expecting something more contemporary-relevant. the surprise will mostly be expressed as "why have Glastonbury booked that old shit!", just wait and see.

1 minute ago, Joshuwarr said:

Quite surprised at a lack of female headliner as things stand!

yeah, there must have been some suitable bookable female acts who could have headlined.

1 minute ago, Joshuwarr said:

Makes me wonder if there may be some surprises for 2024 and certain acts just couldn't commit (beyond some obvious names).

i don't think anyone does their bookings by saying, let's book some sub-standard acts this year, as we've got some great acts lined up for next year.

1 minute ago, Neil said:

i don't think anyone does their bookings by saying, let's book some sub-standard acts this year, as we've got some great acts lined up for next year.

Well the sub-standard part is subjective, isn't it? My point is that struggling to secure female headliners this year may mean an extra effort to pull it off next year. Maybe I just worded poorly.