2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

19 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I'm wondering if Emily dropping pretty obvious clues about Stormzy will change how the headliners are announced for next year. 

Personally I think It's a great booking and if the other predictions are right, makes for a good trio. But I've just had a look on the responses to NME's article and a few others on Facebook (I know) and it's wall to wall "That's shite", "Glastonbury is dead", "Why can't it be Fleetwood Mac?".

Do you think perhaps Emily was testing the water to see what the reaction would be? I don't know, maybe she wouldn't care but you can see the stories in the media stating fans go mad etc.

Could this lead them towards announcing a huge chunk of the bill in one fell swoop like they did after the last fallow year? Hit people with all 3 headliners, a Gallagher, a big pop name and the overall reaction would more likely be positive? 

Honestly I think its smart the way theyve done Stormzy kindof out front like this. I think she's making a statement in a different way. I don't think they would book him without knowing some people wouldnt be on board. Especially when there was a petition against Kanye when he headlined. 

I think she's proud of booking Stormzy and wants everyone to get into it. Glastonbury is going to live on, no matter what acts they book. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I'm wondering if Emily dropping pretty obvious clues about Stormzy will change how the headliners are announced for next year. 

Personally I think It's a great booking and if the other predictions are right, makes for a good trio. But I've just had a look on the responses to NME's article and a few others on Facebook (I know) and it's wall to wall "That's shite", "Glastonbury is dead", "Why can't it be Fleetwood Mac?".

Most of the idiots making those sort of comments never go anyway.

Fucking hell, I know Emily’s got one of the best jobs in the world, but it’d drive me doolally trying to keep everyone happy.

Trying to work out if it’s alright enjoying factually incorrect historical drama is enough to keep me awake at night. That and the speeding ticket I haven’t paid yet. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, H.M.V said:

As much as it pains me to say this but the Scum have generally been pretty good at their predictions. I feel dirty typing that. 

They can be, but only when they use definite language.

Other times they'll pull names out of their arse and add a qualifier like "in negotiations" or "likely to". This year alone they've run articles about Kendrick, Madonna, and The Kinks and probably others I've forgotten headlining in 2019 and I'm not expecting any of those to show up on the farm.

8 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Do you think perhaps Emily was testing the water to see what the reaction would be? I don't know, maybe she wouldn't care but you can see the stories in the media stating fans go mad etc.

Could this lead them towards announcing a huge chunk of the bill in one fell swoop like they did after the last fallow year? Hit people with all 3 headliners, a Gallagher, a big pop name and the overall reaction would more likely be positive? 

Where did Emily say this? I can’t find it

I think want Emily has done is effectively manage expectations. Better to tell people now they want to promote up and coming artists as well as having superstars than after an announcement people are disappointed with. 

She said during the 2017 festival that stormzy would headline one day. Whether their decision to have him do so now is pragmatic, principled or whatever they’ve been planning his for a while.

• Upvote 1

I know it's been said before but I'm all for giving the bloke a go. Who cares if grime is dead in a couple of years and he disappears...though something tells me he will be active somehow. Not every headliner has to be heritage or international stars, and not every headliner needs to go on to become one of those either.

Not the sort of music I'm in to but would be tempted to go if nowt grabs me elsewhere. Be more inclined to see him than I was Kanye for sure.

The Cure better be darn playing as will be gutted if not now.

9 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Yeah the reaction is pretty heavy about it, probably about 90% to 10% have an issue with it and to be honest whole I applaud the booking, you can't blame then for thinking an artist that in all fairness right now has not stepped upto arena play arenas as yet is a right booking.

Me personally I think they've got him as the best out of ideas as there is no way he was the 1st choice this year, a sub would have been perfect positioning.

9 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

That "Glastonbury is Dead" people really are fucking ridiculous. Maybe they're right and with a bit of luck all of the  idiots complaining about it will act with their wallet and stop going and allow me to have a much less stressful T-Day and enjoy 2020 in peace 

10 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Kind of like how Bethesda announced Starfield and TES6 at the same time as Fallout76, something Blizzard didn't do last week at Blizzcon when they revealed Diablo Immortal - and we all saw what happened then!

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Does anyone think there’s gonna be a bit of a scorn from the GP regarding the lineup this year? I reckon there may be some tickets back in the pot. (I can surely think of a few of my mates that are gonna be a bit dissapointed with the bill this year). 

Fingers crossed ? 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Does anyone think there’s gonna be a bit of a scorn from the GP regarding the lineup this year? I reckon there may be some tickets back in the pot. (I can surely think of a few of my mates that are gonna be a bit dissapointed with the bill this year). 

I'm amazed when anyone bases their entire Glastonbury experience on three acts out of five hundred. I appreciate that they're very important and of course the Pyramid stage headliner experience can be absolutely magical but it seems a little short-sighted. Each to their own though, I guess. I, like many on this forum tend to view the festival with rose-tinted glasses, maybe a bit too much at times.

To answer your question, yes I think there might be many that decide against it given the strong headliner rumours this year. Hopefully that means a lot of people for who the festival means the world will get another opportunity to secure a ticket.