2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

22 minutes ago, caballosblancos said:

Interesting! Well, put like that. I’m 40 and NY was a major influence on the bands I liked growing up, like Pearl Jam, so always delved into his stuff from that perspective. Then saw him at Reading 95, playing with most of PJ (except Vedder) because of the Mirrorball album. I always wrote off Cure as dull when younger and have only more recently come to enjoy them... 

That makes a lot of sense then! Maybe they're in similar situations just 15-20 years apart.

27 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

I'm 43, and none of my friends would have a clue about Neil Young either, but grew up with The Cure.

I'm 55. Neil Young was, and remains, a huge figure in my taste/experience/music collection. The Cure? Not so much. Suspect age plays little part in it for me, as clearly I was fully aware of The Cure throughout their heyday and subsequent career. All boils down to personal preference I guess. Glastonbury would be a heck of a dull lineup if we all loved the same things. Ironically though, of the 3 mooted headliners at Pyramid, The Cure are the ones I'll most likely be at 

• Upvote 2

My experience of Neil Young is similar to @Gucci Piggy's, but I've since made an effort to get into his music. Knew his name but barely - if any - of his music before listening to an album. Then with The Cure I've known a bunch of their songs just from hearing them on music telly or the radio or something before I'd ever listened to one of their albums. With that, I do feel like The Cure will have songs known to casuals but then long spells where there may be unknown songs that could lose that crowd. Seems a bit more comparable to Radiohead in that respect, although they don't have as big a cult following.

Whenever I think of Neil Young headlining in 2009, it encourages me that Nick Cave's headline slot is still in the pipeline.

1 hour ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Glastonbury would be a heck of a dull lineup if we all loved the same things. Ironically though, of the 3 mooted headliners at Pyramid, The Cure are the ones I'll most likely be at 

Absolutely! So I've googled and am about to Spotify just to educate myself and see if missing out. Interested to know if you heard him and liked it or sought him out after hearing about him? In short how did you come across his music?

I know who his wife is :D

Edited by slash's hat

29 minutes ago, zico martin said:

I'm shocked that anyone of an adult age doesn't know any of Neil Young's back catalogue. Some serious homework overdue from a few in here like!

Have to say, 25% success rate so far, even skipped a couple. Can understand if you like that kinda stuff that it's good, but not for me. Sticking with it though. I liked I'm the ocean - any more like that? Less countryfied? The ones I've heard off harvest album are doing nothing for me, except old man.

38 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

Absolutely! So I've googled and am about to Spotify just to educate myself and see if missing out. Interested to know if you heard him and liked it or sought him out after hearing about him? In short how did you come across his music?

I know who his wife is :D

Assume you’re referring to Neil Young.... I kind of came at him through the Joni Mitchell/David Crosby connection. Was (and remain) a huge Joni fan for as long as I can remember... some background / LP sleeve reading led me to Crosby/Stiils/Nash/Young and on to Neil himself.

15 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

Have to say, 25% success rate so far, even skipped a couple. Can understand if you like that kinda stuff that it's good, but not for me. Sticking with it though. I liked I'm the ocean - any more like that? Less countryfied? The ones I've heard off harvest album are doing nothing for me, except old man.

Try the Mirrorball playlist, his album with the Pearl Jam boys: 

40 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

If you like the heavier stuff, try live album Weld (great versions of electric material from throughout his career), or Ragged Glory.

His very best albums, IMHO, are After the Gold Rush and On The Beach. Decade is a great compilation, though only up to ‘77 (plenty of great stuff since then).

14 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

If you like the heavier stuff, try live album Weld (great versions of electric material from throughout his career), or Ragged Glory.

His very best albums, IMHO, are After the Gold Rush and On The Beach. Decade is a great compilation, though only up to ‘77 (plenty of great stuff since then).

Am enjoying the mirrorball one actually, will give the above a try tomorrow, thanks. Am feeling duly educated. Never really cared much for what country music I was exposed to by my dad so I guess I don't delve into that area. I looked in to Motown a bit more when younger as not something the 'rents listened to.

Edited by slash's hat

Just to say...

What Emily has said today is probably the best corroboration I'm going to get for Stormzy apart from him being announced, and next time I'm at my desk will be changing him to 'tbc' on the rumours page.

She's also made me more confident that the cure and macca are right, too - and I've always been confident in those anyway.

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Just to say...

What Emily has said today is probably the best corroboration I'm going to get for Stormzy apart from him being announced, and next time I'm at my desk will be changing him to 'tbc' on the rumours page.

She's also made me more confident that the cure and macca are right, too - and I've always been confident in those anyway.

I think you're pretty safe on that one. I don't think there's anyone else who could fit what she said who could possibly be headlining Glastonbury next year.