Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

Was working all weekend. Only just heard . Devastated. Wouldn't be surprised if some people attending didn't know about this. Only saw it as a gig guide had a link to pitchfork article . Not going tomorrow. Can't see them making through set without heckling, if you were local and not getting money back, nothing to lose.

I do wonder how many other bands have this stuff going on currently or had in the past... Recent long overdue shift in culture means the music may have stopped, but I reckon  there are way more dancing instead of sitting on chairs...

I'm going out on a limb here, but I bet of everyone's top three bands here, there is a wrongun in the ranks, depending on where you draw the line...

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, jparx said:

Yikes this whole thing is a gross situation.

Point taken above re: selling tickets, of course the market for those won't be strong (aside from the morally reprehensible @Hugh Jass II 😂)

Honestly I checked too, but it was half my plan to search for cheap tickets anyway.

Oddly enough, barely any in the Netherlands, but quite a few in Belgium. Looks like the Belgians find it more... reprehensible I guess! (all still have regular tickets available anyway)

Yeah, even with the benefit of the doubt, he’s at best a sex pest and a menace of a man.

In either case, given that live performance usually implies a degree of adulation from crowd to band, its hard to envisage going along and merrily singing along, even as somebody who has seen them 6 times.

I don’t have experience of it. Morrissey is a fair comparison. What are other people’s experiences of watching someone you dislike perform the songs you love?

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Welp there’s me totally wrong! I guess the fact that he hasn’t done anything illegal or physically abusive means that technically these shows can still go ahead for those willing to attend. Be interesting to see the turnout and general vibe from both the crowd and band. Tickets didn’t look to be selling well at any of the shows in the first place and now with this added on I wonder if they’re gonna be playing to half empty arenas. 

We'll see how the crowd is tonight. The next stories that can come up will be them getting booed and such so thatll make headlines and explain why which will give another chance for the allegations to be mentioned and for more people to find out.

Have tickets for Antwerp and Amsterdam and yeah that’s a weird situation. I was also hoping it would be cancelled but now a choice has to be made.

They’re still the best live band I’ve ever seen but I can’t see myself enjoying and singing along in this context (and this early after the news).

We’ll see how it goes for the first few shows...

15 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Yeah, even with the benefit of the doubt, he’s at best a sex pest and a menace of a man.

In either case, given that live performance usually implies a degree of adulation from crowd to band, its hard to envisage going along and merrily singing along, even as somebody who has seen them 6 times.

I don’t have experience of it. Morrissey is a fair comparison. What are other people’s experiences of watching someone you dislike perform the songs you love?

Depends on the level of offence: I normally stop when they are outed as a sex pest or racist! 

I know people who say they separate the art and the artist, but cant really do that for live music. Too much of an artist/audience connection

11 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Morrissey was slightly different for me in that he's never been really likeable, has always played off being a bit of a contrary dickhead, so I don't really struggle or need to reckon with anything when I seen him live (generally always cheap resale tickets or freebies off mates). He sings the songs I like but I don't support him, stream his tunes, buy his merch. It's just about having a moral line in the sand and saying "I enjoy the tunes, but I'm not directly putting money in his pocket", and this differs for everyone.

Arcade Fire's schtick is generally euphoric singalong-y stuff and that requires a level of trust/respect/connection between the audience and the artist so I think they're definitely more in danger of losing a fanbase than Morrissey or whoever.

I see they’ve added a load of Arcade Fire dates to the concerts for carers website with a six ticket limit rather than the usual two, so they must be desperate to fill the arenas as much as possible now. The email I saw said “Following their magical headline performance at Reading Festival” and while it was a great performance, I’m not sure it’s too relevant 12 years later!

Edited by kingcrawler

4 hours ago, Superscally said:

I do wonder how many other bands have this stuff going on currently or had in the past... Recent long overdue shift in culture means the music may have stopped, but I reckon  there are way more dancing instead of sitting on chairs...

I'm going out on a limb here, but I bet of everyone's top three bands here, there is a wrongun in the ranks, depending on where you draw the line...

Absolutely loads, esp the 60's/70's rock bands with groupies throwing themselves at the band.

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

Apparently Win was outside the venue and greeted people. Selfies taken and hands shook. So this is gonna be weird

There'll be loads who have no idea about any of what's happened- some just not that obsessive about keeping up with news and others have only had to have a couple of busy days not going online much and they'd have missed it

Great banter over at setlist.fm: 

Edit: ha beaten to it

10CED197-EB5D-4E00-A29B-167FBBEB2566.thumb.jpeg.a03ebc58fd435917db097976bb89c106.jpeg

Following somebody on Twitter who’s at the show and apparently it’s not noticeably empty, or at least not embarrassingly so, although they’re already fifteen minutes late coming on. 

Edited by FloorFiller