2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

9 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

😂 I dont think you know what point youre making.

You said "Your under 30's scenario is arbitrary and generalising to the point of meaningless."- the post youre commenting on argue against that.

Please re-read my response to you. we're making different points 

Deaf Nobby Burton makes the point 'when you’re really young your music taste tends to be far more narrow' which I agree but 30 is far from being really young. When I was a teenager I didn't care for electronic and hip hop but did by the time I was about 22 or so. 

Deaf Nobby Burton also so said 'I get the point about many under 30s not being that bothered by Macca, but of course there will be plenty that will be.' Which I agree, I was a fan of the Beatles as a teenager despite my more narrow musical tastes and I'm clearly not unique in that sense.

33 minutes ago, Quark said:

That's just standard a lot of the time though. I've been at sets that were amazing live and sounded like absolute plop when I've watched it back. If I'm there I wouldn't give two hoots about how it comes across on telly

I also think back to the Eilish set that I didn't like live but got great writeups on TV.

25 minutes ago, jparx said:

This is one of the more recent full pro shot sets on YouTube and he still sounds good here. Yeah, obviously not sounding at his absolute best but still great for someone his age. Blackbird in that set sounds awesome and the age of his voice makes it even more emotional I think (plus the cock ups are downright hilarious). His band really helps, they always sound so tight. A few years off the road might have helped his voice too.

Just confirm already. The first few chords to Let It Be will be worth the entry fee alone.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

Deaf Nobby Burton makes the point 'when you’re really young your music taste tends to be far more narrow' which I agree but 30 is far from being really young. When I was a teenager I didn't care for electronic and hip hop but did by the time I was about 22 or so. 

Deaf Nobby Burton also so said 'I get the point about many under 30s not being that bothered by Macca, but of course there will be plenty that will be.' Which I agree, I was a fan of the Beatles as a teenager despite my more narrow musical tastes and I'm clearly not unique in that sense.

So you have an issue with under 30 but under 22 is ok? . Big age milestones are 16, 18 , 21 and 30 then its 40 so choosing 30 is wholly appropriate cut off.  Otherwise how else can you split an audience. Age is a big influence, if I was born in 2010s I would be more likely to be a rap fan as Rock doesn't have a hold on the industry as much.

Ive never argued that under 30s dont like Macca ( highly likely they like the Beatles vs his solo stuff) I've just said that its not making it on young people Spotify wrappeds which would indicate its not at the forefront of their listening habits. 

People will enjoy Macca but what I've argued is younger people have lots of others they prefer headline. Like I said before, Lionel Richie got a massive crowd, doesn't mean people want him to headline over Arctic monkeys 

2 minutes ago, henry bear said:

I suspect that The Beatles influence far fewer acts these days than they did in the 1990’s. People born in the 60’s/70’s will be very familiar with so much of their music even if they weren’t fans. Young people now will presumably think they’re old farts 

Yeah but the acts influencing newer acts today were probably influenced by the Beatles themselves.

30 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

So you have an issue with under 30 but under 22 is ok? . Big age milestones are 16, 18 , 21 and 30 then its 40 so choosing 30 is wholly appropriate cut off.  Otherwise how else can you split an audience. Age is a big influence, if I was born in 2010s I would be more likely to be a rap fan as Rock doesn't have a hold on the industry as much.

Ive never argued that under 30s dont like Macca ( highly likely they like the Beatles vs his solo stuff) I've just said that its not making it on young people Spotify wrappeds which would indicate its not at the forefront of their listening habits. 

People will enjoy Macca but what I've argued is younger people have lots of others they prefer headline. Like I said before, Lionel Richie got a massive crowd, doesn't mean people want him to headline over Arctic monkeys 

Speaking a lot of sense here.

I'm in my early 20s and those of my friends that regularly gig and festival would all acknowledge Macca and The Beatles as a hugely influential part of pop and rock music, but that we'd be a bit disappointed to have him headline a festival we were at. Even though we do enjoy the beatles tunes it kinda doesn't hit the same spot with people my age that other bands/acts do. Especially when you think he'll be 80 - not exactly gonna be an energetic performance is it...

Chuck fleetwood mac up there however.... their popularity has diffused down to my generation far more heavily than the beatles' has.

I'd assumed the modal average age at glasto would've been 30s/40s is it an older demographic than that?

Edited by George1399

2 minutes ago, George1399 said:

Speaking a lot of sense here.

I'm in my early 20s and those of my friends that regularly gig and festival would all acknowledge Macca and The Beatles as a hugely influential part of pop and rock music, but that we'd be a bit disappointed to have him headline a festival we were at. Even though we do enjoy the beatles tunes it kinda doesn't hit the same spot with people my age that other bands/acts do. Especially when you think he'll be 80 - not exactly gonna be an energetic performance is it...

Chuck fleetwood mac up there however.... their popularity has diffused down to my generation far more heavily than the beatles' has.

I'd assumed the modal average age at glasto would've been 30s/40s is it an older demographic than that?

Same here really. I’m 26 and me and my mates are all into rock/indie music more than anything else and no one wanted Macca to headline in 2020. He’ll obvious get a massive crowd and have a fair amount of young people there but I bet loads won’t care.

2 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

Same here really. I’m 26 and me and my mates are all into rock/indie music more than anything else and no one wanted Macca to headline in 2020. He’ll obvious get a massive crowd and have a fair amount of young people there but I bet loads won’t care.

My group ages range from 25 - 30. There's going to be 7 of us at Glastonbury, all 7 are going to see McCartney, a few for Billie and a few for Kendirck, only 2 of us were going to see Taylor Swift. 

I think its all subjective and none of it actually matters. 

We had some 19 year old new starters at work... between them they only knew 2 Britney Spears tunes (womanizer & give me more) they called that "old" too.

None had heard of top of the pops.

I then went home to my pipe, slippers & a cup of Horlicks. Never felt as old in my life.

Each demographic is different within an age range. These lot know a lot about Carl Cox, Bicep & Defected acts.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

5 hours ago, The Martini Police said:

There was absolutely nothing in their post about bands like the ones you've listed - you've jumped to that because you didn't agree with the comment and wanted to have a pop. Seems to be driven by the chip on your shoulder you seem to have when it comes to rock bands like that. I happen to agree with you (and others before you) about McCartney packing out the field, but your comments here are so misplaced and you're doing it very regularly.

Also, as it's related, you don't have to keep doing this anti-bands, pro-artists of TikTok fame for the younger generation thing. It's tiresome and self-indulgent when you try to make every conversation on this forum about it. You're on social media and in touch with what young people like, we get it, so give it a rest.

How about just enjoying finding new music and not being stuck with the old tried and true stuff. Thats all a lot of people ever want. There really is a lot of gatekeeping at the festival  when it comes to the headliners. Emily has surely been trying to knock those walls down. But she hasnt been able to just put on a take it or leave it  kind of top 3 yet. If the festival is always sold out then it doesnt matter who the headliners really are due to the other choices, so why not push the limits. People will always find something to complain about anyway. Hopefully one year Emily says "fuck it" and books Bad Bunny, BTS and Sheeran. Would be incredible to see how uncomfortable people got. You can always return your ticket, but the chance you ever did is slim to none. There has to come a point when you cant keep looking back and you just move forward. 

2 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

How about just enjoying finding new music and not being stuck with the old tried and true stuff. Thats all a lot of people ever want. There really is a lot of gatekeeping at the festival  when it comes to the headliners. Emily has surely been trying to knock those walls down. But she hasnt been able to just put on a take it or leave it  kind of top 3 yet. If the festival is always sold out then it doesnt matter who the headliners really are due to the other choices, so why not push the limits. People will always find something to complain about anyway. Hopefully one year Emily says "fuck it" and books Bad Bunny, BTS and Sheeran. Would be incredible to see how uncomfortable people got. You can always return your ticket, but the chance you ever did is slim to none. There has to come a point when you cant keep looking back and you just move forward. 

Who's Bad Bunny?!  Off to google...

1 minute ago, Suprefan said:

I mean, she has booked Stormzy, Billie Eilish and Kendrick Lamar to headline recently. How's that "looking back"? There's nothing wrong with balance. 

There's plenty of new music at Glastonbury in general, but headliners are generally and naturally going to be those with some experience, having had time to build up back catalogues and fan bases. And even then, you get exceptions like Billie, Stormzy and going further back, Arctic Monkeys. The cultural phenomenons, if you like.

"Hopefully one year Emily says "fuck it" and books Bad Bunny, BTS and Sheeran" - well, Sheeran has obviously done it and got a huge crowd, a popular choice (just not on this website). As for the other 2? Why? Specifically to annoy people? Doesn't seem the smartest move. Yes, Glastonbury feels untouchable and always sells out right now but making moves like that is a sure fire way to ensure the festival loses its great reputation. 

Finally, you lost sight of the original point. Those bands Matt42 listed weren't even mentioned, there was no craving for them at the expense of new stuff.

15 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Hopefully one year Emily says "fuck it" and books Bad Bunny, BTS and Sheeran.

Sheeran is already an established headliner, BTS would get a huge crowd and already have a song lined up for the inevitable Chris Martin guest appearance but I cannot stress to you how much Bad Bunny isn't a thing in the UK. It's not grumpy old rockists ignoring what's big with the kids it's a Latin artist who has had virtually no splash in the UK market.

14 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

I mean, she has booked Stormzy, Billie Eilish and Kendrick Lamar to headline recently. How's that "looking back"? There's nothing wrong with balance. 

There should always be, IMO, a first time headliner, and it should be as diverse a trio as possible in terms of genre/gender/race. The days of three lots of white lads with guitars is coming to an end, it's good to see the festival embracing rap and pop at the top end of the lineup.

In terms of balance they should really be striving for a first timer, a currently huge act and a heritage act each year. I think they've got it spot on this year. You've got a pop megastar headlining her first UK festival, one of the hottest hip hop stars on the scene (if he gets an album out before the festival he could be even bigger) and a Beatle to round things off.

You don't get much more balanced than that.

1 hour ago, aj6658 said:

Yeah 22 is arbitrary too. I think all ages are arbitrary in this case because people in all age groups like the Beatles.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

There should always be, IMO, a first time headliner, and it should be as diverse a trio as possible in terms of genre/gender/race. The days of three lots of white lads with guitars is coming to an end, it's good to see the festival embracing rap and pop at the top end of the lineup.

In terms of balance they should really be striving for a first timer, a currently huge act and a heritage act each year. I think they've got it spot on this year. You've got a pop megastar headlining her first UK festival, one of the hottest hip hop stars on the scene (if he gets an album out before the festival he could be even bigger) and a Beatle to round things off.

You don't get much more balanced than that.

I really, really want to see them book a new/newish act for the Friday night that, by traditional standards, wouldn’t be at a headline level. Foals a few years ago, Wolf Alice now, Sam Fender etc. Stick with your huge names the other two nights, but specifically give a huge leg up to an act on the Friday and establish that as the star making slot. Over the last few years you could have given it to Florence (before the bump up), Foals, The XX, Ezra, and Wolf Alice this year. The thing sells out in minutes anyway, and it’d be really exciting trying to guess who gets the big slot each year, forces them to pick something out of left field and adds some extra anticipation and unpredictability.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

I really, really want to see them book a new/newish act for the Friday night that, by traditional standards, wouldn’t be at a headline level. Foals a few years ago, Wolf Alice now, Sam Fender etc. Stick with your huge names the other two nights, but specifically give a huge leg up to an act on the Friday and establish that as the star making slot. Over the last few years you could have given it to Florence (before the bump up), Foals, The XX, Ezra, and Wolf Alice this year. The thing sells out in minutes anyway, and it’d be really exciting trying to guess who gets the big slot each year, forces them to pick something out of left field and adds some extra anticipation and unpredictability.

I could get on board with that.