2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Someone hasn't seen Get Back.

Doesn't really matter if an act like Paul McCartney is at the forefront of anything these days, he's a bona fide living legend, anyone with even the slightest passing interest in music knows who he is and can name at least a dozen songs he's been involved with. He transcends bullshit words like "relevance" and will draw a huge crowd, especially as people will be acutely aware that there aren't likely to be many more chances to see him.

Never said he wasn't a legend . I even said he was part of the most consequential band of all time. Stop putting words in my mouth just because I dont gush over Macca headlining. 

Get back wasn't out when he was originally announced so the comment is moot.

Sorry but relevance still applies to him - its a matter perspective. Kendrick is a bigger star than Macca if you're aged 16-30. Taylor is a bigger and more relevant to the same demographic. Its cos they're at the forefront of the music industry. They have massive launch parties and massive listening number which Macca doesn't match.

Someone who is under 30 wouldn't rank him highly as must see headliners. That's the point im trying to get across. 

21 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Radiohead and Arctic Monkeys are repeat headliners though, Radiohead did it two festivals ago and they don't exactly have mainstream pull do they? I'd say Radiohead and Kendrick are a similar sort of booking, both critically acclaimed and massive artists in a certain demographic. I'm a huge Radiohead fan and have only listened fleetingly to Kendrick, but it's clear that Kendrick's current output is held in the highest claim the same way Radiohead's earliest output was. They're completely different genres but somewhat comparable in that sense. 

Just because a band is well known doesn't mean they're a great booking. Especially if they're headlining for the 3rd or 4th time. Eilish/McCartney/Kendrick is a really good mix. Most people lauded 2020's headline trio as the strongest yet, and there's only 1 change from that in Swift to Eilish. 

In terms of name value then 2016 was huge, but Adele aside wasn't really that intriguing as Muse and Coldplay had both played the festival plenty of times before.

First point that’s mildly relevant here is that not everyone attending next years festival will have been at the previous Monkeys or Radiohead gig. There’s upwards of five years since they last headliner which is significant. Secondly and particularly relevant is the fact that this is a UK festival. Kendrick is huge in the US no denying that, similar with Billie Eilish but neither are household names with a back catalogue like Taylor Swift or the Arctic Monkeys. Clearly we don’t agree and that’s fine, personally if that was to be next years line up I’d be gutted as I likely won’t be there for it.

9 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

In a way I'm jealous. I'd love to hear all the Beatles songs for the first time again, if that was somehow possible.

I'd advice to listen to the 1 album, it's a compilation of all their number 1's. I'm sure you will recognise a lot of the songs

In 1h19m i'll give a tally of what i recognise, could surprise myself. Recognise the first one already 🙂 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aj6658 said:

Never said he wasn't a legend . I even said he was part of the most consequential band of all time. Stop putting words in my mouth just because I dont gush over Macca headlining. 

Sorry but relevance still applies to him - its a matter perspective. Kendrick is a bigger star than Macca if you're aged 16-30. Taylor is a bigger and more relevant to the same demographic. Its cos they're at the forefront of the music industry. They have massive launch parties and massive listening number which Macca doesn't match.

Someone who is under 30 wouldn't rank him highly as must see headliners. That's the point im trying to get across. 

So do under 30's only listen to contemporary stuff? They don't draw on the 60+ years of popular music that's gone before?

Of course Taylor Swift is going to have bigger numbers, she's a young woman being marketed at young people. Not sure if you've noticed but Paul McCartney isn't out there trying to appeal to the kids (awkward Kanye moments aside). As I've said, he doesn't need to, he's a Beatle, there's a reason why his work has endured from generation to generation, there will always be a place for it. Without wishing to slag Taylor off, will people still be listening to her stuff and seeing her perform 60 years from now?

1 hour ago, lighthouse said:

That's literally the thing I asked you not to do. The buildup of that show to the end is really strong, starting very loose, getting more and more intense as it progresses.

And yes, Kendrick always has his band backing him during liveshows.

Glasto will be grand. 

But time is money.

I'm sure he'll go down a storm, I listened to some of his stuff when he was announced for 2020 but it wasn't doing anything for me. I watched the Superbowl half time show and preferred the other artists stuff to his. Go figure.

[Cliché]It would be a dull world if we all liked the same stuff.[/cliché]

I'm made up for the people on this site who are so excited to see him. I just hope they get the announcement out soon, hopefully it'll be Saturday night rather than the more likely Sunday so Harry Styles is ruled out. That will be funny.

23 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'd be shocked if anyone posting on here couldn't name a dozen Beatles songs.

Hey Jude, AYNIL, Help, Can't Buy Me Love, Let It Be, Yesterday, hell even Yellow Submarine - these are some of the most famous and iconic songs ever written.

It's no different to previous generations. Go back to Twitter and Facebook in 1930 and see how many of the Silent Generation knew many Tchaikovsky numbers. It was all "Benny Goodman this", and "Count Basie Orchestra" that...

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

I'm in my 20's, and although I'm not too interested in any of the headliners, the one I am most likely to see if any is Macca, even if it's just The Beatles songs I know. It will be huge to see a Beatle...

3 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

Do we think McCartney will pull as big a crowd this time as last? My opinion is that is unlikely. 

It will be interesting to see who gets th biggest crowd out of the headliners. Kendrick gets the smallest, that's a certainty...

If Dua Lipa is opposite him she'll certainly pull a decent crowd away from him.

21 minutes ago, jparx said:

He better play Yesterday on the pointy one. Hasn't been a staple for a while, hope it comes back in. 

Tbh, the set list he’d been running with up until the last shows in 2019 wasn’t his best. I get that he likes to shake things up a bit, but I hope some of the missing bangers come back into contention 

1 hour ago, The Martini Police said:

There was absolutely nothing in their post about bands like the ones you've listed - you've jumped to that because you didn't agree with the comment and wanted to have a pop. Seems to be driven by the chip on your shoulder you seem to have when it comes to rock bands like that. I happen to agree with you (and others before you) about McCartney packing out the field, but your comments here are so misplaced and you're doing it very regularly.

Also, as it's related, you don't have to keep doing this anti-bands, pro-artists of TikTok fame for the younger generation thing. It's tiresome and self-indulgent when you try to make every conversation on this forum about it. You're on social media and in touch with what young people like, we get it, so give it a rest.

I do have a bit of a chip on my shoulder about people with very narrow music tastes who basically complain about what Glastonbury books every year. I think they can handle a bit of a tease.

Just now, Matt42 said:

I do have a bit of a chip on my shoulder about people with very narrow music tastes who basically complain about what Glastonbury books every year. I think they can handle a bit of a tease.

Bro you are the one who goes mad when people don’t like a certain very narrow subset of the musical landscape!

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

So do under 30's only listen to contemporary stuff? They don't draw on the 60+ years of popular music that's gone before?

Of course Taylor Swift is going to have bigger numbers, she's a young woman being marketed at young people. Not sure if you've noticed but Paul McCartney isn't out there trying to appeal to the kids (awkward Kanye moments aside). As I've said, he doesn't need to, he's a Beatle, there's a reason why his work has endured from generation to generation, there will always be a place for it. Without wishing to slag Taylor off, will people still be listening to her stuff and seeing her perform 60 years from now?

You're just being flippant now...

Do you really think the people under 30 are listening to the Beatles as a significant proportion of their music times. Or better yet, how many have them on their playlists. Vast majority would have music from the last 15 years and they will have elements from older eras. 

Thanks for proving my point, Perspective is important to relevancy. Her music is more relevant to young people. Wasn't hard was it?  Im going in a big group., Macca isn't high on their lists. Different generations, different tastes. We can appreciate his music and his standing but we do the same with Lionel Richie. Jheez you are really out of touch with young people. 

The argument of who's music will last is just dumb. Really doesn't matter for someone who doesn't listen to the Beatles but listens to Taylor in the here in now. Im going to the festival this summer, dont really care about the next 60 years. 

Never seen someone so rattled by someone saying that they aren't as excited to see Macca as other people. 

• Upvote 1