2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

10 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Something very similar to this was played on my first night out as a fresher: 

We always get Wonderwall ones or Mr Brightside, pretty much a guarantee one of them is mashed with Tour by Macky Gee

10 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

I'm in my 20's, and although I'm not too interested in any of the headliners, the one I am most likely to see if any is Macca, even if it's just The Beatles songs I know. It will be huge to see a Beatle...

My point exactly - you're not too interested in any of the headliners. Exactly what im getting at

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I do have a bit of a chip on my shoulder about people with very narrow music tastes who basically complain about what Glastonbury books every year. I think they can handle a bit of a tease.

Why do you keep saying you were joking/teasing (you did the same to me recently) when nothing in your post comes across as a jest? I’d be careful about calling people narrow-minded too

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Erol Alkan used to drop Temporary Secretary into his sets and it would go off.

I can imagine that just from a quick listen.

--

10 songs into 1 now, got to hand it to him he has got tunes (not that I doubted it for a second just never got round to listening, I listen to very few artists before the late 80s)

I will say one of my group was considering Macca for the heritage / last time factor. There's definitely going to be a huge gap between Kendrick/Billie and his crowd size.

If we are talking about attendees checking out an artist out of curiosity surely acts like Macca absolutely top that list.

Pretty sure my group would never buy a ticket to his show but he would be near the top of their must see list. People are extremely familiar with his material and it will be a box ticking exercise for many. Even if some people see a bit of him and then move on, the demographic matchup with the attendees is enormous. 

Clue is in the fact that they’ve booked Dua Lipa as an other stage headliner to try and stop literally everyone at the festival turning up to see him.

19 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

Do we think McCartney will pull as big a crowd this time as last? My opinion is that is unlikely. 

It will be interesting to see who gets th biggest crowd out of the headliners. Kendrick gets the smallest, that's a certainty...

Which brings us back to the point about the possible pyramid field extension. It’s going to look a lot more sparse than usual for any headliner that doesn’t bring a huge crowd. 

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

If we are talking about attendees checking out an artist out of curiosity surely acts like Macca absolutely top that list.

Pretty sure my group would never buy a ticket to his show but he would be near the top of their must see list. People are extremely familiar with his material and it will be a box ticking exercise for many. Even if some people see a bit of him and then move on, the demographic matchup with the attendees is enormous. 

Clue is in the fact that they’ve booked Dua Lipa as an other stage headliner to try and stop literally everyone at the festival turning up to see him.

On the contray, could see Foals absolutely rammed against Billie if that is true (which seems likely)

Just now, squirrelarmy said:

Which brings us back to the point about the possible pyramid field extension. It’s going to look a lot more sparse than usual for any headliner that doesn’t bring a huge crowd. 

Better than it being full / people standing in campsites etc

Probably right, re McCartney having a massive crowd but Diana having the biggest. It's the timing of that slot.

I have no doubt that it'll be rammed to the back for McCartney though. I distinctly remember getting on my mates shoulders in between Primal Scream & The Stones, just to take in/assess the crowd for a few seconds. We were between the sound desk and pit. It was mad busy right up to the back, took my breath a bit if I'm honest. This will be exactly the same.

I've just spent 15 minutes reading absolute waffle over the last 3 pages. This forum has completely lost the plot.

For the record, I am 27 and I'd guess that I would at least recognise the name of every song The Beatles ever put on an album... on the other hand, I couldn't name you a single Kendrick song. I wouldn't recognise the guy if he walked in my flat and made me breakfast.

23 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

First point that’s mildly relevant here is that not everyone attending next years festival will have been at the previous Monkeys or Radiohead gig. There’s upwards of five years since they last headliner which is significant. Secondly and particularly relevant is the fact that this is a UK festival. Kendrick is huge in the US no denying that, similar with Billie Eilish but neither are household names with a back catalogue like Taylor Swift or the Arctic Monkeys. Clearly we don’t agree and that’s fine, personally if that was to be next years line up I’d be gutted as I likely won’t be there for it.

I'd be made up if Radiohead headlined every year! Kendrick is huge in the US but he's also a huge name over here as well, he's headlined Reading, just appeals to a different demographic to the likes of Radiohead. The same way Kendrick isn't necessarily a big name with the older demographic, a lot of youngsters would have similarly shrugged seeing Radiohead announced last time out. Don't think anyone would argue both names aren't critically acclaimed, international headline acts. 

You could say your proposed trio is perhaps bigger in the UK in terms of name value, I just don't think it's necessarily a 'blow it out the water' scenario for the reasons I highlighted. Eilish, Macca and Kendrick is a diverse mix that offers something for everyone and are the outstanding names in their field and its a huge coup for Glastonbury to have them as their headliners looking at what other festivals have scrapped together this year.

For what it's worth I can't see Radiohead coming back to the farm anytime soon, but think Taylor and Arctics will be nailed on. Can see someone like Dave getting the bump up, again would be a real good mix of headliners.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

Only just come back after several pages away. What's happened? Everyone talking about Kendrick and Macca as certs again? Based on what? 

Kendrick announced a show in Italy the weekend before and macca never really went I think. New kendrick album as well before glasto weekend announced by the italian promoter

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

I'd be made up if Radiohead headlined every year! Kendrick is huge in the US but he's also a huge name over here as well, he's headlined Reading, just appeals to a different demographic to the likes of Radiohead. The same way Kendrick isn't necessarily a big name with the older demographic, a lot of youngsters would have similarly shrugged seeing Radiohead announced last time out. Don't think anyone would argue both names aren't critically acclaimed, international headline acts. 

You could say your proposed trio is perhaps bigger in the UK in terms of name value, I just don't think it's necessarily a 'blow it out the water' scenario for the reasons I highlighted. Eilish, Macca and Kendrick is a diverse mix that offers something for everyone and are the outstanding names in their field and its a huge coup for Glastonbury to have them as their headliners looking at what other festivals have scrapped together this year.

For what it's worth I can't see Radiohead coming back to the farm anytime soon, but think Taylor and Arctics will be nailed on. Can see someone like Dave getting the bump up, again would be a real good mix of headliners.

I agree with all of this except other festivals scrapping names together. R&L have AM, Dave and RATM - their two most asked for acts in one year and RATM who are obviously a great get. This year has had more headliners touring than ever before due to covid

1 minute ago, gfa said:

I agree with all of this except other festivals scrapping names together. R&L have AM, Dave and RATM - their two most asked for acts in one year and RATM who are obviously a great get. This year has had more headliners touring than ever before due to covid

To be fair I meant more worldwide than close to home, Coachella specifically had a nightmare in booking headliners. As discussed in far too much detail, if Macca and Kendrick weren't on board it looks like slim pickings in terms of possible replacements.

19 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

You're just being flippant now...

Do you really think the people under 30 are listening to the Beatles as a significant proportion of their music times. Or better yet, how many have them on their playlists. Vast majority would have music from the last 15 years and they will have elements from older eras. 

Thanks for proving my point, Perspective is important to relevancy. Her music is more relevant to young people. Wasn't hard was it?  Im going in a big group., Macca isn't high on their lists. Different generations, different tastes. We can appreciate his music and his standing but we do the same with Lionel Richie. Jheez you are really out of touch with young people. 

The argument of who's music will last is just dumb. Really doesn't matter for someone who doesn't listen to the Beatles but listens to Taylor in the here in now. Im going to the festival this summer, dont really care about the next 60 years. 

Never seen someone so rattled by someone saying that they aren't as excited to see Macca as other people. 

A significant amount of people under 30 certainly are listening to the Beatles. It's probably not the majority but the majority of under 30's probably don't like Taylor Swift either. It's probably never been the case that a majority of an age group likes a particular artist. Your under 30's scenario is arbitrary and generalising to the point of meaningless.

If you choose to only be interested in music you consider relevant and current that's great but the majority of music listeners will not limit themselves to these parameters. 

16 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I've just spent 15 minutes reading absolute waffle over the last 3 pages. This forum has completely lost the plot.

For the record, I am 27 and I'd guess that I would at least recognise the name of every song The Beatles ever put on an album... on the other hand, I couldn't name you a single Kendrick song. I wouldn't recognise the guy if he walked in my flat and made me breakfast.

Would you at least be curious as to why a stranger had come in to your flat and made your breakfast?

This is no reflection on musical taste or knowledge btw, I'm just curious as to whether it's an occurrence that would warrant a raised eyebrow or if it's just par for the course 😄

11 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

To be fair I meant more worldwide than close to home, Coachella specifically had a nightmare in booking headliners. As discussed in far too much detail, if Macca and Kendrick weren't on board it looks like slim pickings in terms of possible replacements.

Fair enough with Coachella they definitely struggled although other than Coachella seems everyone else has been fine. In the UK a lot of festivals have been getting biggest lineups to date (Boardmasters, Victorious, Truck and APE all come to mind). I'm very intrigued to see what Boomtown pulls out the bag and whether they stick with the 'silent announcement' strategy