2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

Just now, squirrelarmy said:

Random curve ball. But remember back in the days before the first postponement there was talk of them moving the camping at the top of the pyramid field to make room for more people in the field. 

This is because we were expecting an absolutely huge headliner and they needed the capacity. 

So far none of these headliners seem to be fitting that level of hype. 

Are they still planning on moving the camping line?

It’s a Beatle….

• Upvote 1

Random curve ball. But remember back in the days before the first postponement there was talk of them moving the camping at the top of the pyramid field to make room for more people in the field. 

This is because we were expecting an absolutely huge headliner and they needed the capacity. 

Macca? I mean, who else would meet your standards of absolutely massive headliner if not a former Beatle?

Paul... McCartney 

Would McCartney not fit that? He's the best selling musician of all time (or half of, at least).

16 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Other than Macca I can’t really think of another artist in the world that would get close to the Rolling Stones crowd anyway, Elton? Maybe Led Zep, Beyond that I’m struggling. Unfortunately any that would’ve are probably dead now.

As above, I think legends slot is the biggest chance for a record breaking type crowd. I don't think either will happen, but I'd reckon if Elton decided to take that slot rather than headline or (even less likely) Dylan decides to do a legitimate "greatest hits" tour one day they'd end up hitting Stones level crowd.

32 minutes ago, jparx said:

He had a full backing band at Reading didn't he?

No he didn’t - it was a good set just very short (not even an hour i think or maybe just over). I was pretty impressed, not sure i care enough to see him again over some of the other potential options (bicep, glass animals, caribou, psb would all be easy other choices)

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Indeed, I doubt extending the field is for one specific performer. It's probably just to give everyone a little extra room.

I’m in agreement with you about them moving it just for one performer. 

I don’t see them extending the field for Billie or Kendrick. Will probably have room to have a game of cricket while they’re on so I’m wondering if there’s still a surprise in store for us other than Macca. 

31 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

You’re sounding a bit Glasto chat to me right now, that basically the only bands that can headline Glastonbury are your  Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Killers, Green Day etc.

Heres my answer - A beatle, Taylor Swift, and Diana would have absolutely packed that crowd. Sprinkle Aerosmith on top too and there’s a few acts in there which would have some seriously huge crowds. If you don’t think those acts could easily pull 100k on el pointo each you are out of touch. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

15 hours ago, kingbadger said:

Not really, no. It might be more to some people's tastes (definitely more my thing) but this year they have one of the biggest current pop stars, one of the greatest rappers of all time and a Beatle. In a year where every other festival is somewhat scraping the barrel for headliners. Not much is gonna beat that, let alone blow it out of the water.

I’ll give you the Beatle but Taylor Swift blows Billie Eilish into the next century and Kendrick Lamar is no where near as well known in the UK as the Arctic Monkeys or Radiohead, two of the biggest bands in the UK if not the world. As this thread has proved.

Edited by Justcalledtosay

1 hour ago, ticketboy69 said:

I think a lot of people will have no idea who he is. I had heard of him but never listened to his music. I tried but it’s not my thing. Had another go yesterday, but I just can’t get past all the N words and talk of bitches…it just makes me really uneasy. 

https://genius.com/albums/Kendrick-lamar/Good-kid-m-a-a-d-city

put on the album, go through the lyrics... follow what
he is saying.... enjoy 🙂

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Also Billie is going to get a gigantic crowd. You are underestimating her pull.

I’m not so sure. I’m not debating it’s a fantastic booking for the festival but there are a lot of people who won’t be bothered. I also think there might be a lot of people leave mid-set.

Still a question mark over Friday for me. Billie's not my cup of tea, but I reckon she'll have vastly improved since her bland 2019 set, and it'll be a fun time for those who enjoy her music. I'm hoping Little Simz headlines WH on the Friday. There's no act I'd see above her - it'll be a moment.

Saturday is going to be tough. Down the front at Dua would be an absolute party, but I'd also like to be at Noel, so I'm not going to get near the front if I want to watch them both. That makes me think I'll end up bunkering down and enjoying Macca, but although I appreciate how huge he is, I don't find him as thrilling as some here. Elton's the act I'd go bananas for.

I agree with @JoeyT about Kendrick. For me personally, his live shows have been hit and miss. If he's rapping by himself over a backing track, I'd probably give him a miss. Those sets don't do much for me. Give him a band and maybe a special guest or two, and I'd love it.

3 hours ago, AlexOvd said:

I can understand people don't like Kendrick but not knowing who he is? 😬

I’m only vaguely aware of who he is( I deduced he was the short guy I didn’t recognise on the SB half time show) and my wife just gave me a blank look when I mentioned his name, not my sort of music, I pay zero attention to it, so why would I know who he is, barely even heard of him before he started getting talked about in here in 2019 or so.

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

A black man using the N word makes you feel uneasy? Lmfao

Well, yeah why not? Look it's a word with a reasonably (!) significant amount of history behind it and around it. It's incredibly divisive in a lot of ways, and we are constantly told (quite rightly btw) not to use it. It's a taboo word.

So yeah, it's not unusual to have mixed feelings when you hear it used, regardless of who's using it.

Edited by Quark
  • Like 1