2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

It's a pretty rigid view based on the the fact that's the biggest selling artist of all time.  It's not unreasonable to assume that the average Glastonbury punter, regardless of age, might have heard of Paul McCartney, his music and his cultural significance.

What you have is "I'm under 30 and not fussed, therefore all under 30's aren't fussed".

Again not what I argued. Never said all under 30's aren't fussed. nice try but focus on what im arguing.

Ill repeat my argument - Other artists e.g. Kendrick and Taylor would be bigger headliners for more under 30's because they are at the forefront of the industry.  If they were given the option to see Kendrick/Taylor  vs Macca, more would opt for Kendrick. (For note I would rather see Macca). The reason being Macca and the Beatles aren't at the forefront of the industry currently. Lionel Richie got a massive crowd, doesn't mean under 30s want him over the arctic monkeys as a headliner. 

If the Beatles really still hit with Younger people on a deeper level - get back doc would of been a much bigger hit. (Didn't crack the top 10 original acquired shows when released and Peter Jackson said that those who watched were majority over 55)

Not saying they are irrelevant. Im saying that under 30s acknowledge them and respect them and listen to them but they aint on the top of their lists on who should headline. 

I tend to think as a general rule of thumb (I’m obviously not saying everyone here) that when you’re really young your music taste tends to be far more narrow, often limited to one particular genre, this can be based on being influenced by what’s popular amongst your peer group, as well as viewing certain genres/artists as unfashionable and uncool to the point they’re actively avoided. As you get older your tastes tend to broaden (well mine did a lot) you don’t care about what other people are listening to, or if a particular artist or genre is fashionable or not. So I get the point about many under 30s not being that bothered by Macca, but of course there will be plenty that will be. Certainly I think you could say less under 30s will be than over 30s.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I tend to think as a general rule of thumb (I’m obviously not saying everyone here) that when you’re really young your music taste tends to be far more narrow, often limited to one particular genre, this can be based on being influenced by what’s popular amongst your peer group, as well as viewing certain genres/artists as unfashionable and uncool to the point they’re actively avoided. As you get older your tastes tend to broaden (well mine did a lot) you don’t care about what other people are listening to, or if a particular artist or genre is fashionable or not. So I get the point about many under 30s not being that bothered by Macca, but of course there will be plenty that will be. Certainly I think you could say less under 30s will be than over 30s.

This guy gets it

@Hugh Jass @Florian Saucer Attack - Its not hard. 

4 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

Can everyone ask their under 30's if they have heard of Jimi Hendrix? 

My son is and definitely knows who he is and some of his music.

I've just asked him about the Beatles and whether he'd see Macca. 

efests: we need to start seeing some decent rumours and announcements to give everyone something to talk about and stop arguing so much

Information and tour announcements starts to filter through

Also efests: DRAW THE FUCKING BATTLE LINES YOU BASTARDS!!!!

And thus it ever shall be

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Is "have the under 30's heard of him?" the new "Mum Test"?

Just asked my 23 year old son who does go to plenty of gigs and listens to loads if he or his friends listen to the Beatles and would they go to see Macca at Glasto. Says they do sometimes listen and he may see Macca if he only played Beatles bangers and that there was nothing else he'd rather see.

Edited by SighMo

Reading this hurt even my head lol.

Billie, Macca, Kendrick headline pretty much any festival they play in pretty much every country on the planet. Not all acts who grace el pointo can claim that.

Yes some headliners are bigger than others and appeal more to certain demos. But different sized oranges are still oranges. Headliners are still headliners. 

Edited by Matt42

46 minutes ago, SighMo said:

Macca will be 80. I caught the 80 year old Kris Kristofferson set in 2017 and it was grim. Will Macca be relying on the crowd to get him through? 

I certainly hope there's huge crowd participation! 

I worry a little bit that it might come across differently on TV to being in the audience (not sure which way though). 

Just now, Leyrulion said:

I certainly hope there's huge crowd participation! 

I worry a little bit that it might come across differently on TV to being in the audience (not sure which way though). 

That's just standard a lot of the time though. I've been at sets that were amazing live and sounded like absolute plop when I've watched it back. If I'm there I wouldn't give two hoots about how it comes across on telly

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Reading this hurt even my head lol.

Billie, Macca, Kendrick headline pretty much any festival they play in pretty much every country on the planet. Not all acts who grace el pointo can claim that.

Yes some headliners are bigger than others and appeal more to certain demos. But different sized oranges are still oranges. Headliners are still headliners. 

You know things have really gone to shit on here when Matt's the voice of reason...

19 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I agree. If this is what aj6658 was trying to articulate then we have been arguing the same point

2 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

I agree. If this is what aj6658 was trying to articulate then we have been arguing the same point

😂 I dont think you know what point youre making.

You said "Your under 30's scenario is arbitrary and generalising to the point of meaningless."- the post youre commenting on argue against that.

Please re-read my response to you. we're making different points 

This is one of the more recent full pro shot sets on YouTube and he still sounds good here. Yeah, obviously not sounding at his absolute best but still great for someone his age. Blackbird in that set sounds awesome and the age of his voice makes it even more emotional I think (plus the cock ups are downright hilarious). His band really helps, they always sound so tight. A few years off the road might have helped his voice too.

• Upvote 1