2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

41 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

Cv fields were so funny. We all got towed in by a tractor 

9E6DB205-FE13-4941-85DC-0259D65922BC.jpeg

I heard there were some issues behind the scenes in regards to getting people on / off site in 2016.

From what I've heard the festival had previously used Young Farmer groups for roles in exchange for tickets / a donation.

For 2016 they didn't which meant they had people with little to no experience of driving heavy machinery. When they approached the Young Farmers clubs in their hour of need they'd already had their noses put out of place by the pre-festival snub so refused to help.

2016 was an absolute nightmare for me, was staying in a pre-pitched caravan some friends had arranged, me and my then mrs decided to go on the Wednesday whilst the others would meet us Thursday. 9 hours in a queue only to get within a couple of cars of blue gate and as night fell they closed it. Had to do a u-turn and it ended up in purple car park. None of the stewards had a clue what was going on or could understand the concept that we didn’t have a caravan actually with us, but we had one we needed to get to. Had to walk through one of the gates that side of the festival with some of our stuff, all the way through the festival and back out of gate c and through the CV fields to attempt to find our pre-pitched caravan in the dark. Eventually did, by then it was well past midnight I think as we’d seen the fireworks traipsing through the first car park we dumped our car (which was miles from the first gate we went through). I set an alarm for about 6am, walked back through the site and back to my car. Joined the queue again for another five hours. Then eventually got to the CV fields and was towed in by a tractor, even though I had borrowed my dads old Land Rover discovery so didn’t really need it and could’ve easily made it on my own steam the night before if given the chance.

More or less ruined my festival as I was shattered Thursday and had to go back to bed before it was even dark Thursday evening.

The weather wasn’t that bad at all during the festival but the killer was it always rained enough just as the mud started to dry out, so the ground was in a perpetual state of awfulness.

BFEE4A81-608B-4689-B557-BDE6F1B8295F.thumb.jpeg.da47db008b7085c47852a79570011d7a.jpeg

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

10 hours ago, incident said:

4 days - the Wednesday was actually pretty nice.

But yeah, overall it's not even close. The weather in 2016 wasn't even that bad during the festival, it was the flood a week before gates opened that screwed the ground and it never recovered.

Were you allowed in on Wednesday by that point?

I just recall it raining when I arrived on the Thursday and it still raining when I left on the Monday.

Only things I can remember from 2007 in terms of acts was Iggy on the Other Saturday night and watching The Who on the Sunday. Everything has just been drowned out in my memory by the relentless thudding of rain onto my hood.

Just looking up the 2007 lineup and trying to work out where I was and what I saw.

Friday - no idea, pretty sure I watched Arctic Monkeys headline then the rest of it? God knows.... There are a few things I probably watched - Furries, Bloc Party... but can't say for sure.

Saturday - I think I spent most of the day at the Other, there was a decent run (CSS - Klaxons - Babyshambles - Maximo Park - Editors - Iggy) and didn't want to move too much due to the shit weather. Vaguely recall popping over to the Glade to see !!!

Sunday - Absolutely no idea, think I was broken by the weather and Saturday's overindulgence. Other than the Who I genuinely cannot recall where I wa sor what I did.

Not a classic year.

Just now, squirrelarmy said:

To get this thread vaguely back on topic. How many people would watch Billie Ellish in 2016 levels of rain? 

I know the hardcore Kendrick fans will be there regardless of the weather if he’s confirmed. 

Why would the rain put people off? Who would think "Ah it's raining, screw Billie I'm going to watch Foals instead"?

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Why would the rain put people off? Who would think "Ah it's raining, screw Billie I'm going to watch Foals instead"?

Yeah? Shes depressing enough without adding rain to the mix? 😄 And dont even start with the fact you wouldnt be able to hear her over the tapping of rain on your hood.... 😄 

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

You need a big act to get you through a wet set. Decent uplifting music that gets you through the storm. I gave a U2 and Coldplay a wide berth for that reason in 2011. 

55 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I heard there were some issues behind the scenes in regards to getting people on / off site in 2016.

From what I've heard the festival had previously used Young Farmer groups for roles in exchange for tickets / a donation.

For 2016 they didn't which meant they had people with little to no experience of driving heavy machinery. When they approached the Young Farmers clubs in their hour of need they'd already had their noses put out of place by the pre-festival snub so refused to help.

I remember hearing something like that, but can’t remember details. I remember the tractor boy saying how long he’d been working that day… he was cheerful tho! There was also the problem with all the tracks being stuck at Drownload 

Edited by whitehorses

I've said it before and I'll say it again. 2016 was the best and there was something about those conditions that made it special. It had even more of a galvanising effect on the crowd. Weirdly, all of my favourite Glastos have been rain-affected. And I despise the rain. Sulk like a ginormous baby if I hear it hammering the tent.

Still, as the old saying goes...NFRNFC

17 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

To get this thread vaguely back on topic. How many people would watch Billie Ellish in 2016 levels of rain? 

I know the hardcore Kendrick fans will be there regardless of the weather if he’s confirmed. 

A lot. Billie is not only very popular but also a big enough name to pull in the more casually curious Glastonbury-goer. I do think Billie's appeal is underestimated on this forum. 

2016 was shit. The weather beforehand was shit, getting in was shit, the line-up was shit, getting about was shit, all in all... shit*

*It was though Glastonbury level shit so I still had a great time and the weather during the actual festival wasn't too bad. I think it was mainly dry during the day.

50 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Were you allowed in on Wednesday by that point?

I just recall it raining when I arrived on the Thursday and it still raining when I left on the Monday.

Only things I can remember from 2007 in terms of acts was Iggy on the Other Saturday night and watching The Who on the Sunday. Everything has just been drowned out in my memory by the relentless thudding of rain onto my hood.

Yeah you were allowed in on Wednesday.

We had coach tickets that year and ours arrived Wed 3pm. Made our way to dairy ground to meet friends and get pitched up, opened a cider at 5pm when we were set and it started raining from then on in.