The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

8 minutes ago, T-Mouse said:

Personally no. But I don't begrudge anyone for doing it. 2016 was truly awful. I still had a good time but others I was with did not. Morale was very low by the Sunday. A couple mates with mobility issues were in a really bad way. If there was any indication that this year was going to be exactly the same or worse, then a fair number of my lot wouldn't go/would try to sell their ticket.

Just out of interest, were you going in 2005-2007? I'm genuinely trying to work out if people who whink 2016 was really bad simply have a different reference point?

1 minute ago, bombfrog said:

Just out of interest, were you going in 2005-2007? I'm genuinely trying to work out if people who whink 2016 was really bad simply have a different reference point?

10+ years is a big difference. My first was 2014 and 16 was bad for me. 

8 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Screenshot_20190614-152307_Twitter.thumb.jpg.b09c67d1572a225d0e28f05940981ceb.jpg

I think there's been a filter applied or a bit of fiddling with the contrast making those clouds look a lot worse.

I haven't seen clouds like this on the webcam so either they're a) never there at all b) above the webcam / out of shot or c) drifted away elsewhere

6 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

My first was 2014, skipped 15 and then did 16 of course. I found it bloody knackering but there wasn't much standing water that I recall, just intense, deep mud! Obviously I don't have an earlier point of reference - 2014 I don't remember being too bad except that biblical thunderstorm on (I want to say the Friday) but mud levels average/bearable.

4 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Earlier in the thread I asked the 'which was worse' question to people who had been to both 2007 and 2016, and it was an almost unanimous '2007'. Don't know about 2005 though.

6 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

2016 was a cake walk compared to 2007 / 1998 for me, don't really think there's much comparison. 

2005 was just odd because it was burning sun, followed by complete flooding, then mud bath, then final day it was all compacted down and basically fine again. Got a photo from Brian Wilson where it looks like an absolute scorcher. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

I was not. First year was 09. I have obviously seen the footage/spoken to people who were there in those years. One of the guys who struggled in 16 had their first year in 2007. He said while the constant rain was shite and a bummer, the mud was soft and moving around the site wasn't nearly as hard as 2016. Maybe that has something to do with getting older IDK. 2016 was truly the perfect storm for creating the sticky mud that ruined the fest for some.

1 minute ago, barkley87 said:

Earlier in the thread I asked the 'which was worse' question to people who had been to both 2007 and 2016, and it was an almost unanimous '2007'. Don't know about 2005 though.

Been to all 3 - in descending order 

2005 worst (my first and didn’t know what to expect)

2007 (started great but ended horribly)

2016 (broke my legs for sticky mud walking but rain wasn’t too bad)

2007 was by far the worst IMO. If you were there Wednesday (not as many people arrived as early back then), then you were at least lucky to have x1 glorious day, that's the only thing it had going for it, weather wise. But then it pissed it down relentlessly for 4 days.

2016 weather was actually OK. But it was harder on the legs as it was slop from very first arrival on site. No sunny day at the start. But at least it wasn't constantly bucketing down in the manner of 07.

2005 was great. Good weather, apart from one evening when it hammered it down, which caused the flood. The drainage wasn't as good on site, so there were lakes of water. But the mud itself wasn't too bad, and the sun was shining. Sunday was probably one of my fave days ever at Glastonbury. I can appreciate you might not feel this way if you were at the bottom of a hill however. 

24 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

I was at all of them. For me 2005>2008>2016. It might have been that I was 8 years further past my prime but 2016 just drained the energy out of me. Didn’t see a quater of what I normally see. 2008 was cold and wet but I don’t remember being exhausted from just walking around. 

9 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

2007 was by far the worst IMO. If you were there Wednesday (not as many people arrived as early back then), then you were at least lucky to have x1 glorious day, that's the only thing it had going for it, weather wise. But then it pissed it down relentlessly for 4 days.

2016 weather was actually OK. But it was harder on the legs as it was slop from very first arrival on site. No sunny day at the start. But at least it wasn't constantly bucketing down in the manner of 07.

2005 was great. Good weather, apart from one evening when it hammered it down, which caused the flood. The drainage wasn't as good on site, so there were lakes of water. But the mud itself wasn't too bad, and the sun was shining. Sunday was probably one of my fave days ever at Glastonbury. I can appreciate you might not feel this way if you were at the bottom of a hill however. 

I'd pretty much agree with all that.   2007 was the worst.   2016 was the next worst, just because the stickiness of the mud made it a real drag to get around.  2005 was just funny, unless you were at the bottom of Pennards.      All had amazing highlights.  Iggy in 2007 being one of my all time moments as was Underworld in 2016. 

My wife was there in 97 and 98 and left on the Sunday morning of one because the tent flooded and she had trench foot by then.   That's enough to put anyone on a downer.  

12 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

Thats exactly how I fell about those three years as well. 2007 was depressing due to the relentlessrain, but it was easier to get around because it was just soup by the end of the festival, whereas in 2016 it was much mire difficult to walk around because the mud was so claggy, but at least it was drier

I totally agree that other things skew your perception. 2007, 2005 and 2016 would be my worst years of weather but it's weird what you recall and what you don't. I really didn't enjoy 2007 weather-wise, and it's still without question the worst for me, but we also had a great group that year and lots of funny stories. I have nothing but good memories of 2005 (first Glastonbury after all, I was so giddy/awestruck). I must admit to finding 2016 hard work. Obviously still had a great time, but I think a couple of things have changed for me  - I'm a few years older for one (ahem), and I really like wondering around much more and absorbing the atmosphere these days. Bad weather just makes that really hard. I just couldn't be bothered in 2016. I also like nipping off on my own frequently (different musical tastes to some in my group, and my general impatience for trying to herd a large group of people together who all want different things). I'm less inclined to do this even in a wet year though, cos it just takes so long to get anywhere.      

6 minutes ago, Homer said:

2005 wasn't even a proper mudbath:

It only rained once and it was all fine again by Sat night/Sun morning.

There was even a decent comedy value to staggering about in the water in the sun.

there was some comic value. My mate in 2005....

The least prepared person at a festival.

we had a ball though!

857880200_glasto2005024.thumb.jpg.edaddf610b2acff7591f50a69feccecd.jpg

glasto 2005 035.jpg

glasto 2005 066.jpg

Fuck this shit, I suffered through 2007 and 2016, and then there's fuckers on here banging on about how you can have a good time even if you're up to your nuts in mud, the rain's constantly dripping into your pint and the sites covered in slurry.

Aresholes to that, supposed to be my holiday, not some sort of Tough Mudda with added music for people who have something to prove. I'm currently investigating contigency plans to get airlifted out on the Saturday if the site has turned to some kind of Lord of the Flies hellhole

04-17-nam-fall-01.thumb.jpg.1a55040edbfc42219fcb3cde47355a00.jpg.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, bamber said:

1985 was worse than 1998, 2005, 2007 and 2016 (was at them all)

Haha. Was just about to mention 85. That really was a nightmare. Site was so much smaller then so no massive moving around. But no seats or many tents.

The mudslide down the hill was great fun to watch. I know a few people who left that year very early