The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

31 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Haha. Was just about to mention 85. That really was a nightmare. Site was so much smaller then so no massive moving around. But no seats or many tents.

The mudslide down the hill was great fun to watch. I know a few people who left that year very early

Kidney Mead yeah?  once you went, you were travelling 30 - 40m out of control easily. So funny. Such a long time ago.

Well it's been raining on the north east coast since tuesday but now the sun is shining and the rain has finally stopped,  all in anticipation of the outdoor Biffy Clyro gig this evening in my hometown.

Completely irrelevant to the weather at Glastonbury but proves there is a gig god.

Edited by TheGoodWillOut

1 hour ago, bombfrog said:

I'm genuinely trying to work out if people who think 2016 was really bad simply have a different reference point?

I thought 2016 was great! a lot of mud, but that's not terrible in my eyes.  Of the years I've been, 2011 was the weather I wouldn't want to repeat. it just pissed down at times, and it was COLD at night. 

1 hour ago, bombfrog said:

Just out of interest, were you going in 2005-2007? I'm genuinely trying to work out if people who whink 2016 was really bad simply have a different reference point?

2007 was a different level. It wasn't just the ground being ruined, it was the torrential rain, felt like constant freezing rain for three days.

2005 by the sunday evening the ground had started to harden and there were periods of belting sunshine

Edited by Field Commander Jefferson

2 minutes ago, Olshansky said:

I thought 2016 was great! a lot of mud, but that's not terrible in my eyes.  Of the years I've been, 2011 was the weather I wouldn't want to repeat. it just pissed down at times, and it was COLD at night. 

I remember the rain in 2016 because my mates came for their first time and are never coming again, but I don't remember thinking it was too bad. Looking back a tthe lineup to remind myself what I did that year all I remember was that it was a bad year for the lineup as I didn't see a lot of good stuff, but I don't remember that being because of the rain.

39 minutes ago, Field Commander Jefferson said:

2007 was a different level. It wasn't just the ground being ruined, it was the torrential rain, felt like constant freezing rain for three days.

When remembering these bad years nobody talks about temperature, just rain. 2007 was the only time I remember being consistently cold all week.

• Upvote 2

Starting to look very warm in the south of the middle of next week now, and it holds through to Saturday. Now minimal rain of any note through to Sunday 23rd.

Bit of rain on Monday 24th but then essentially dry through to Thursday.

Temps 17 the couple of days before, and the day of the gates opening.

Then up to 19-20 on the Thursday with a very small amount of rain (though there's a band of it to the north that day). 18-19 Friday with little rain.

Sat and Sun to come... but based on this so far I think Gav's first forecast will be positive.

Edited by briddj

6 minutes ago, briddj said:

Starting to look very warm in the south of the middle of next week now, and it holds through to Saturday. Now minimal rain of any note through to Sunday 23rd.

Bit of rain on Monday 24th but then essentially dry through to Thursday.

Temps 17 the couple of days before, and the day of the gates opening.

Then up to 19-20 on the Thursday with a very small amount of rain (though there's a band of it to the north that day). 18-19 Friday with little rain.

Sat and Sun to come... but based on this so far I think Gav's first forecast will be positive.

Would be nice to have some positivity!!

From what I've heard from friends that made it, 2016 wasn't as terrible as some made out - wet and very muddy, but manageable unless you'd come unprepared. My best mate said it was a bit like 2004 but with more mud, which by and large was a good time all round with some excellently silly bits, the odd limited bout of existential misery and 250,000 aching calves.

2005 was fine too, it's just that the storms turned a couple of days turned into utter chaos... my overriding memory apart from the impromptu canoeing and sinking stages on Friday morning is getting a killer sunburn and dancing to Brian Wilson in the blazing sun with springy mud under my feet. A few people got f*cked up enough by the storm that they packed up and went home, but it was largely hilarity, blitz spirit and extremely relieved faces all round from Friday evening... a wonderful year really.

2007 was entirely on a different scale. I wasn't in 97, but family that were at both say they were similarly miserable (Although I think '97 still probably outdid it). It was incessantly wet AND freezing too. Most people's waterproofs just aren't up to that sort of job.... a Jack-In-A-Pack is great for the odd shower, even a heavy storm, but try using one to keep you dry for an entire week of driving rain. You needed sailing gear out there. Everyone was just soaked to the bone. You'd layer up and then something would leak and from then on you were fucked. Everyone had a decent fall at some point. It's the only year I had to take friends to the medical tent and I had to take three... all had fallen and cut themselves on something. As a year it contains some of my best and worst Glastonbury memories (always the way with an extreme year - the camaraderie was utterly sublime, but the lows were loooooow, man), and honestly, I'd think twice about going through it again... I have never felt physically worse than during the 8 hours it took me and my best friend to get out of the car park. Hungover, coming down, shivering and having to push god knows how many cars that were between us and the road. I'm glad I was there. Just.

If they told me it was going to be another 2004 on ticket day, I'd still be at the front of the queue.