2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

28 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

They spend 40 minutes jamming between each song

Years ago when they played Leeds before they came on I said to friends

” They better not do a 30 minute self indulgent jazz fusion jam “

Tossers bloody opened with that so I was off ASAP .

Melvin Benn admitted later they were a bad booking as they could not be arsed 

23 minutes ago, Krisesk said:

Anyone know If there is anything driving the money going on The Strokes on Sky Bet just now? They've basically evens now.

Not sure they would be a headliner at this stage? A strong sub for me though.

Probably an increase of bets. They may be performing but are apparently very expensive so doubtful.

5 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Difficult to say. Ten years ago, I'd have said so - but those R+L slots were raptuously received back in 2012 and their reputation for mammoth performances through the Hammersmith Christmas Shows, the RAH Teenage Cancer gigs and the 2016 World Tour get them ticking over in terms of public... notoriety? (If that's the right word.)

Then, when the BST gig sold out with a snap of the fingers, it kind of capped off their return to the limelight. Folk will have looked at the demand for that show and gone "Yes, I'd fancy a little bit of that".

So I'd have had them as a prospective headline option since 2012 at the very least. But I do get why folk are a little nonplussed by them being touted as a lock.

Great post. Good to see some perspective on The Cure that is outside of these forums. I'd say their stock has risen considerably since the Bestival 2011 headline slot.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Saw the Strokes at Benecassim in...07?...and they looked like they didn’t give a shit and hated each other then. 

@CaledonianGonzo you were at that right? Am I misremembering? 

Hard to imagine what’s changed for the better by now. 

Yup. Though I'd already seen them a few times by then and they were never an especially persuasive live proposition.

These are the acts that will not headline next year

Foo fighters headline in 2017

Muse headline in 2016

Ed Sheeran headline in 2017

Radio head headline in 2017

Coldplay headline in 2016

Bastille too small to headline

Acts who could possibly headline next year

The 1975

Artic monkeys

Mumford and sons

Foals

The cure

Paul McCartney

Guns and roses

ACDC

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

Now my memories are very hazy of the late 90's and 2000's, but if I remember rightly the RHCP were absolutely huge and were seen as quite a hip and credible band. They were seen as far more credible than Green Day and far, far bigger than bands like Pearl Jam. Now admittedly I was into Italian House and plinky plonk piano handbag house during those times, but the RHCP were the massive cross over success if I remember correctly.

When did they become the butt of everyone's ire and why?

I’m 27 years old. I thought they were shite growing up. I think they’re shite now. I don’t know many people my age who think they’re much good. They admittedly were huge but they certainly aren’t credible.  

All guitar driven music around at that time was pretty shite then The Strokes came along they were great but that spawned even more shite bands ripping them off. 

1 hour ago, Mash011 said:

I saw the Chillis once. They were shit. Wondered off to get some chips but I had some fucked up throat infection so the chips just shredded my insides up on the way down. Still better than the chillis.

How do you wonder off to get some chips? Were they so boring that you stood there imagining yourself eating chips that shredded your throat?

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but Ariana Grande has this week announced the start of her 2019 world tour. The US leg has been revealed, which ends on 18 June... Could just be a coincidence, but I feel like this could be an ultimate Emily Eavis booking to get Ariana. She's probably the biggest female pop star on the planet right now, and is generally liked by the public.

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but Ariana Grande has this week announced the start of her 2019 world tour. The US leg has been revealed, which ends on 18 June... Could just be a coincidence, but I feel like this could be an ultimate Emily Eavis booking to get Ariana. She's probably the biggest female pop star on the planet right now, and is generally liked by the public.

Thoughts?

Well, dunno... Don't think she's headliner material just yet, so if it would happen I'd say third down Pyramid. First she wasn't about to tour next year (needing time off), but that has changed last week. Wouldn't the headliners be booked by now...? Last album wasn't exactly well-received, but I have to base this on opinions of others because this isn't my type of music.

Stormzy 1/4 on SkyBet now joint favourite with The Cure, is that just going to be from an increase in bets? Seems incredibly short odds unless someones 'heard something', would certainly fit the 'current' act to go alongside The Cure and Macca if that's the three.

1 minute ago, StupidDream said:

Well, dunno... Don't think she's headliner material just yet, so if it would happen I'd say third down Pyramid. First she wasn't about to tour next year (needing time off), but that has changed last week. Wouldn't the headliners be booked by now...? Last album wasn't exactly well-received, but I have to base this on opinions of others because this isn't my type of music.

I dunno, her tours are normally instant arena sell-outs, and I wouldn't be shocked to see stadiums when she eventually gets to the UK... But I can't see that they would have just thrown a world tour together last week. I'd imagine it has been booked for months. As far as I know, too, her album was raved about by fans. My girlfriend has been listening to it non-stop, and she had absolutely zero interest in her before.