Wet Leg

MaxPower

Saw them at Newcastle SU last night and thought they were pretty poor tbh. Genuinely were better when we caught them supporting Sports Team at Brixton last year.

Granted the venue is pretty crap, and without wanting to sound snobbish the crowd was made up of a lot of non-gig goers which suffocated the vibe. But a decent live band should be able to pull the gig above all that. Sound wasn’t great either and was just extremely static in general. Wet dream didn’t even get the crowd moving at all which felt mad considering it’s a hit single off their no. 1 album. 

Feel they’ll be better at glasto with a decent crowd of music goers under them, but will be interesting to see how a 2023 tour will fare if they’re still poor live later this year. 

I was at Newcastle too and I'd not seen them before so didn't have another performance to compare it to - but thought that both Wet Dream and Chaise Longue were rushed to the extent that they sounded like cover versions of their own songs, but conversely I felt some of the weaker songs on the album came across better live. 

The University is the worst venue in Newcastle though - it's just about bearable when it's only half full but sell out gigs are horrendous, you're either crammed too tightly into the centre section or forced out to the sides (and then competing for space in the spots where you can see past the pillars).  It's like having gigs in an underground car park. I would have liked to have heard more of Honeyglaze but the chatter was in danger of drowning them out at times. 

And maybe adding to the potential snobbery here, but when Honeyglaze came on someone behind me said "thats not *them* is it?" and their companion answered "I don't think so, maybe there's more than one band on". 

• Upvote 1

I was at leeds too, crowd was flat. Tuesday night after bank hol wont help but even still, seize the moment to see them in a venue this size!

they were good but feel like they had the equipment and sound setup for a venue much larger. Almost too pro a setup for a venue the size of brud.

they need to do more shows (not their fault re pandemic etc) and they will be a better live band down the line. The album tracks not previously released were sounding great. They need to play the singles slower as they sound rushed. Overall good but will be more fun at a fest

Edited by Memory Man

On 4/17/2022 at 11:41 PM, MrRadioactiveCake said:

Saw them at Newcastle SU last night and thought they were pretty poor tbh. Genuinely were better when we caught them supporting Sports Team at Brixton last year.

Granted the venue is pretty crap, and without wanting to sound snobbish the crowd was made up of a lot of non-gig goers which suffocated the vibe. But a decent live band should be able to pull the gig above all that. Sound wasn’t great either and was just extremely static in general. Wet dream didn’t even get the crowd moving at all which felt mad considering it’s a hit single off their no. 1 album. 

Feel they’ll be better at glasto with a decent crowd of music goers under them, but will be interesting to see how a 2023 tour will fare if they’re still poor live later this year. 

Did they play that one about the couch?

• Upvote 1

Really interested to see them at Neighbourhood Weekender, they haven't looked great on TV shows but that can happen to a lot of bands so will reserve judgement.

Would've gone to Manchester tonight if I hadn't booked Baby Queen gigs months ago. She's an example of someone who's somehow a ready made live performer despite being brand new. Saw her at 110 Above and Leeds last year and they were the 4th and 5th gigs she'd ever done apparently and I couldn't believe that because she was so good. Big difference to Wet Leg it seems. 

Interesting the gigs are still a bit flat - that said this tour went on sale and was sold out long before the album came out. Even at that you'd think people who booked just to see what the fuss was about would've listened to the album by now? 

I'm assuming the London gig on Tuesday will go off. To be fair I've seen many a great band and for whatever reason the audience is just static and you wonder why most of them are there. Looking forward to seeing Honeyglaze as support too.

Yeah I was pretty underwhelmed by Wet Leg in Leeds last night, at a venue where it really should have been amazing. They were good but nothing more, and as noted above the crowd was a bit flat. 

I did really enjoy Honeyglaze though and the gig was only a tenner so can't really complain. Wet Leg will get there, they just need to be on the circuit a bit longer. 

On 4/9/2022 at 6:06 PM, Olshansky said:

Listened through twice now, seem them live 4 times.  

I think the record's too long.  They could shave 3 songs off and the record would be a tight punch in the face.  

Also, I am shocked the song "Obvious" that they've been doing live didn't make the record! Maybe it wasn't done yet? 

I've only just realized - 

I've been complaining that the record is too long, but I realized that I've been listening to the download, which has 2 extra songs tacked on the end (they're bonus tracks from the 7").  I had been wondering why the 2 weakest songs were at the end of the album.  Given that now i know I'm an idiot, I feel a lot better about the record.