Wet Leg

MaxPower

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

People calling out Wet Leg for a bit of innuendo, like that hasn't been a staple of popular music since, I dunno, oh yeah, hang on, AS LONG AS IT'S FUCKING EXISTED.

Blues songs are absolutely chockful of smutty innuendo, put some sugar in my bowl, grind my coffee etc etc,  Led Zeppelin, in one of their more execrable moments (in a whole career of them) singing about 'squeeze my lemon till the juice runs down my leg, baby', Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer where his 'Big Dipper' will 'open up your fruit cage where the fruit is as sweet as can be'.

But we can't have young girls doing it with a smile on their face, taking the piss. No, no, no, not proper music. Hurumph, harumph. Bollocks to that, says I.

Totally agree! They're not a must see for me but if they are on at a time when I don't have any must sees on I'd happily go and see them and I'd imagine they'll be thoroughly enjoyable and be a great fun festival vibe. 

5 hours ago, Mardy said:

People calling out Wet Leg for a bit of innuendo, like that hasn't been a staple of popular music since, I dunno, oh yeah, hang on, AS LONG AS IT'S FUCKING EXISTED.

Blues songs are absolutely chockful of smutty innuendo, put some sugar in my bowl, grind my coffee etc etc,  Led Zeppelin, in one of their more execrable moments (in a whole career of them) singing about 'squeeze my lemon till the juice runs down my leg, baby', Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer where his 'Big Dipper' will 'open up your fruit cage where the fruit is as sweet as can be'.

But we can't have young girls doing it with a smile on their face, taking the piss. No, no, no, not proper music. Hurumph, harumph. Bollocks to that, says I.

Couldn't agree more. Great to have you back on these boards Mardy!

• Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 9:29 PM, JHad said:

I've seen them a couple of times, both last summer.

The first was at Latitude and was before I'd heard anything from them (although everybody else had apparently heard Chaise Lounge!). They were the buzz-band of the weekend, so I went along early for their set in a little tent (with capacity further reduced due to covid) and was one of the lucky few to actually get inside. That was their second live set post-lockdown, after a warm-up on the IOW the previous night, and therefore the second time they ever played Chaise Longue live too. They were utterly joyous and were genuinely shocked on that occasion. The room seemed filled with other bands and music industry folk too, so something obviously seemed afoot very early on. Every tune seemed great to me and I had no idea which was the hit until everybody started singing along.

I was also lucky enough to see them again a couple of weeks later at Green Man, in the aforementioned joyous video. I'm actually in the video, next to the old dude having the time of his life! Again it was amazing and they still seemed shocked by their popularity.

Got a ticket for them at Scala in a few weeks, but a little worried that initial buzz may have worn off? It was the infectious joy and their happy-go-lucky vibe which was the real draw back then.

I saw them at IOW that summer and, like you say, they seemed rather shocked at all the attention. Saw them after the gig having a wander round chatting to people and they seemed like a lovely bunch of people. 

Think they'll knock the socks off Glasto this summer, they're phenomenal. 

Fun album. I was a bit worried when I saw them in October and wasn't sure if any of the other songs would be any good, but think that was more a lack of familiarity. It doesn't really re-invent the wheel or anything, but they'll be a fun band to catch every now and then and see at festivals.

The Park Stage placement feels odd to me though - John Peel would be perfect no? 

2 minutes ago, jac_frog said:

Any thoughts on what time of the day Wet Leg might be on? They're not headliner / subheadliner material so I'm hoping for an afternoon slot. Turns out my 3 year old is quite a big fan 🤣

Have a feeling they will do multiple sets. A likely candidate for that.

After spending a few days listening to it over and over again I've changed my mind on the album. At first I thought it was fun but fairly disposable, now I've come to the conclusion that it's genuinely brilliant.

The 1-2 of Angleica/I Don't Want To Go Out is one of the best things on any album released this year.

25 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

After spending a few days listening to it over and over again I've changed my mind on the album. At first I thought it was fun but fairly disposable, now I've come to the conclusion that it's genuinely brilliant.

The 1-2 of Angleica/I Don't Want To Go Out is one of the best things on any album released this year.

Yeah, as somebody who was fairly pessimistic about them on the run up to the album, I’ve totally changed my mind and think it’s actually a pretty great album. Oh No remains the one glaring filler track for me, but even then it’s too short and inoffensive to be considered a skip or anything. Pure mid 00’s nostalgia stuff, but done incredibly well and will be popping off at festivals.

Although it’s looking unlikely, I hope I can catch them at the Park. What a joyous set that will be. 

On 4/10/2022 at 12:42 AM, Punksnotdead said:

Spot on Mardy bum! The day I stop getting excited by new music and turn into Jeremy Clarkson, you can send me off to Switzerland for dignitas to finish me off. 

I second this, new music should excite and get you caught up in the buzz.

• Upvote 1