When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

14 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m going to say this now and I’m willing to accept people piling on.

I don’t think we will hit our vaccination targets. I think we will be seriously behind judging by how far behind we have been with everything.

I reckon our peak time for vaccinations will be mid-spring / early summer.

I agree.  Never underestimate our government's ability to piss on its own shoes.  They promise, they don't deliver.

14 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

https://www.pinsentmasons.com/out-law/news/manufacturing-exempt-uk-coronavirus-lockdown

This article from two days after the lockdown was announced suggests otherwise 

11 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

Manufacturing was allowed to continue but many shut down for some time so that they could implement social distancing measures which caused some supply issues in construction. Although the larger house building sites closed at first, they then reopened with new social distancing procedures, meantime many of the smaller sites carried on along with commercial construction and civils - roads etc. It was months before the supply problems were sorted.

We were having construction work done at the time of lockdown, and while they could, technically, have carried on, their supply lines dried up and they couldn't get what they needed to carry on the work.  Plus the curtain twitchers and facebook cops are a worry when you have your own name writ large down the side of your transit.  They restarted in June for us.

6 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Are you sure? I swear there was a specific moment when Boris did a Press Conference to tell the nation that stuff like construction workers and outdoor jobs could go back to work. I don't think it was ever law for these places to have to close no. But that was the government MO at the beginning make everything guidance not laws anyway. 

But there was a specific moment when the guidance changed to allow construction workers and outside jobs back to work. 

Yeah places like Mcdonalds knew they could do takeaway, At the time however they were having load of staff off sick with the virus or symptoms as you couldnt get tested at that point and they simply couldn't afford or weren't prepared to straight away pivot to take away (drive thru) only.  

Most local fast food places remained open for takeaway and delivery throughout, though obviously there were changing to whether you had to wear a mask or how many people could be in a takeaway at once. 

But yeah it's hard to fully remember all this stuff because the law and guidance has changed so much since then, I'm certain construction weren't supposed to be operating in march at least. It was a national stay at home order. and that's what the furlough was for

You're wrong here. Construction was never closed down as it's clearly impossible to work from home. There was admittedly some confusion, mainly over the travelling rules, but this was quickly sorted with advice from the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy. As far as i know this was the same for all industries that were not specifically stopped from trading - hospitality, non-essential retail etc.

7 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Will the border remain open for Buckfast deliveries? 

It better had, we don't need that muck on the shelves here in Devon and it'd probably erode the drains if the monks had to pour it away! 

Feeling very down and helpless about this whole situation now. The "all together" spirit from last March - April seems downtrodden, the Government have learned precisely nothing from their abject handling of the entire situation, and I suspect those of us in single houses are now set for another few months of self-isolated loneliness (I know about bubbles etc, but it's still true). I know it is necessary, I believe it is necessary and agree with a strong lockdown and hope this includes schools - but can't help but feel incredibly exhausted by this point. 

2 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

It better had, we don't need that muck on the shelves here in Devon and it'd probably erode the drains if the monks had to pour it away! 

Didn’t Edward Longshanks order the monks to brew the tonic wine for use as a chemical weapon for fighting the Scots? If they’re too drunk to fasten their kilts then they will be too drunk to swing a dirk. 

1 minute ago, Brownie30 said:

Anyone checked for a 10 Downing St IP address reading this thread last night? 

The thing is they can do whatever they want without answering to anyone. No one can challenge them on their lies and ineptitude. If schools were sage yesterday then they are sage today, or Johnson is lying because he hasn’t got a clue. But no one will say this to him, they just nod along like the media pawns they are.  

7 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

The factory where I work was shutdown from March to August. If England follows the same rules as Scotland it looks like the main factory can stay open but some office workers like myself should WFH. 

Lots of places were shut down but they didn't legally have to. Because the furlough scheme existed, and because demand was dropping as places were closing, many, many places shut down and furloughed staff because there wasn't the work. Even more shut down and furloughed staff because they saw the long term impacts this would have (and at this point, we thought it'd be a couple of months lock down then "back to normal") and decided to shut down take the furlough money while it was on the table.

There's a huge difference between what had to close in March and what did close in March.

6 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Are you sure? I swear there was a specific moment when Boris did a Press Conference to tell the nation that stuff like construction workers and outdoor jobs could go back to work. I don't think it was ever law for these places to have to close no. But that was the government MO at the beginning make everything guidance not laws anyway. 

But there was a specific moment when the guidance changed to allow construction workers and outside jobs back to work. 

Yeah places like Mcdonalds knew they could do takeaway, At the time however they were having load of staff off sick with the virus or symptoms as you couldnt get tested at that point and they simply couldn't afford or weren't prepared to straight away pivot to take away (drive thru) only.  

Most local fast food places remained open for takeaway and delivery throughout, though obviously there were changing to whether you had to wear a mask or how many people could be in a takeaway at once. 

But yeah it's hard to fully remember all this stuff because the law and guidance has changed so much since then, I'm certain construction weren't supposed to be operating in march at least. It was a national stay at home order. and that's what the furlough was for

There's some stats and a broad timeline here: https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/data/data-news/peak-site-closure-figures-revealed-as-work-restarts-25-05-2020/

But less than half of construction sites shut in March. Some of these open will have been "essential" works but others won't.

In May construction was encouraged to reopen: https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/government/construction-actively-encouraged-to-work-says-boris-11-05-2020/

The other thing to bear in mind is that a lot of UK construction is public sector so that May date might have corresponded with when public sector sites re-opened, which could be what you're remembering!

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I'm sticking with my thoughts back in early December and that's a lockdown until February 28th

That would certainly make most sense. Give time for the vaccine to be rolled out, lifting restrictions any sooner and we’ll be back where we started in a matter of weeks.