When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

6 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

My grandmother had a call over the weekend to say she should expect a letter confirming vaccination date / time in the post imminently.

My Wife's grandparents had theirs done 2 weeks ago. They live 5 mins from the festival site so they must be cracking on with it in that area as Michael was vaccinated over the weekend. 

So Scotland, and Somerset only places open by June? Hmmmmm.....

2478D685-07E2-4C49-8293-316134ADF524.gif

Just now, squirrelarmy said:

Manufacturing was definitely shutdown in March. Not sure about construction. Although the two industries do depend on each other to some extent. 

Manufacturing was allowed to continue but many shut down for some time so that they could implement social distancing measures which caused some supply issues in construction. Although the larger house building sites closed at first, they then reopened with new social distancing procedures, meantime many of the smaller sites carried on along with commercial construction and civils - roads etc. It was months before the supply problems were sorted.

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m going to say this now and I’m willing to accept people piling on.

I don’t think we will hit our vaccination targets. I think we will be seriously behind judging by how far behind we have been with everything.

I reckon our peak time for vaccinations will be mid-spring / early summer.

Fair analysis mate, I think lack of transparency around volume of vaccinated people could cause anxiety around this too so it’s vital they get it right. 

I will say this tho - by the end of this week I think they will have vaccinated just short of the amount of people who have tested positive for the virus since it surfaced in March. If you would’ve told me that at the start of Dec I would’ve bitten your arm of.

5 minutes ago, duke88 said:

So that should mean the rest of the UK will be vaccinated to the same proportion? Surely the vaccines will be distributed proportionally to all four nations.

Yes, I’d say. It’ll then boil down to individual health board areas capability and competence in delivery.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

Manufacturing was allowed to continue but many shut down for some time so that they could implement social distancing measures which caused some supply issues in construction. Although the larger house building sites closed at first, they then reopened with new social distancing procedures, meantime many of the smaller sites carried on along with commercial construction and civils - roads etc. It was months before the supply problems were sorted.

The factory where I work was shutdown from March to August. If England follows the same rules as Scotland it looks like the main factory can stay open but some office workers like myself should WFH. 

8 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Construction and manufacturing were allowed, but so many businesses voluntarily closed that they had to be gently nudged back by Boris in his Sunday night address to the nation in early May. The guidance said “only travel to work if you cannot work from home” but some businesses incorrectly thought they had to close. 

Takeaway hospitality was always allowed. Places like McDonald’s closed voluntarily but would have always been allowed to open for takeaway and delivery.

Are you sure? I swear there was a specific moment when Boris did a Press Conference to tell the nation that stuff like construction workers and outdoor jobs could go back to work. I don't think it was ever law for these places to have to close no. But that was the government MO at the beginning make everything guidance not laws anyway. 

But there was a specific moment when the guidance changed to allow construction workers and outside jobs back to work. 

Yeah places like Mcdonalds knew they could do takeaway, At the time however they were having load of staff off sick with the virus or symptoms as you couldnt get tested at that point and they simply couldn't afford or weren't prepared to straight away pivot to take away (drive thru) only.  

Most local fast food places remained open for takeaway and delivery throughout, though obviously there were changing to whether you had to wear a mask or how many people could be in a takeaway at once. 

But yeah it's hard to fully remember all this stuff because the law and guidance has changed so much since then, I'm certain construction weren't supposed to be operating in march at least. It was a national stay at home order. and that's what the furlough was for

1 minute ago, st dan said:

The best thing is that everybody on here knew in October that another lockdown was certain to happen in the first week of January 2021 - and here we now are. Seems like this has caught the government by surprise though! 

I know it’s staggering how inept they are. It was so obvious if they didn’t prepare and also allowed Christmas relaxation to go ahead we would be in this position. I’ve mentioned this for months now.

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

The factory where I work was shutdown from March to August. If England follows the same rules as Scotland it looks like the main factory can stay open but some office workers like myself should WFH. 

The last time it just basically said you should work from home if you could, If you could not do that then you were permitted to travel to work. 

9 minutes ago, duke88 said:

So that should mean the rest of the UK will be vaccinated to the same proportion? Surely the vaccines will be distributed proportionally to all four nations.

However, up here we drink too much, smoke a lot, eat deep fried foods and take class A’s. It’s only fair that our resulting higher proportion of vulnerable people is reflected in any vaccine distribution ratios.

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

Why are they so chronically incapable of ever making a statement without saying how 'clear' they are?

I'm clear they're a bunch of twats... 

The only clear part of this is how incapable they are of leading our country. 

It’s clear it didn’t have to be this way, we could’ve avoided this if they had taken the hard decisions a couple of months ago.

Does anyone know if there are good estimates for how many people have had COVID in the UK so far? We had them after the first peak (17% in London 6% nationwide?).  I’d be interested to see how they have changed.  Part of me is hoping that when combined with vaccinations we might see reductions by spring.

1 minute ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

However, up here we drink too much, smoke a lot, eat deep fried foods and take class A’s. It’s only fair that our resulting higher proportion of vulnerable people is reflected in any vaccine distribution ratios.

Will the border remain open for Buckfast deliveries?