When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Actually I worded that wrong. They want all over 50’s, and anyone under 50 who have specific health conditions.

Disgraceful behaviour from me to call >50’s vulnerable and I apologise to any non-vulnerable over 50’s reading this for misappropriating you. 

I was only offended by the grocer's apostrophe.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Again this was never really a thing. There was a misconception in lockdown1 that the government said “only go to work if you’re a key worker, otherwise work from home if you can or otherwise take furlough”

Sectors like manufacturing and construction were permitted to continue throughout. Although many businesses decided to close and made use of the furlough scheme. 

Im pretty sure construction and manufacturing weren't permitted throughout, I remember in June, Boris precisely saying when construction and stuff like that was allowed to go back to work. The first march lockdown was deffo more strict on businesses that could open. As we saw from places like greggs and b and q being criticized for opening as "essential shops"

2 minutes ago, Lizzim said:

My Mum is starting to worry  - none of her circle of over 80's has heard anything yet about getting their jag.  So who is getting it just now?

Based on the current state of UK car manufacturing, you’ll be waiting a long time for a Jag. 

2 minutes ago, Lizzim said:

My Mum is starting to worry  - none of her circle of over 80's has heard anything yet about getting their jag.  So who is getting it just now?

My mum in law (85 in assisted living) been told it’ll be done at her place in January, and my mum (81 living on her own) has received a call from her surgery also saying January. No definite appointments yet though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

Based on the current state of UK car manufacturing, you’ll be waiting a long time for a Jag. 

I knew someone would pick up on that. 🙂    We call it a jag up here in Scotland not a jab.

4 minutes ago, Lizzim said:

I saw a message in local news to where my dad lives saying the local surgery will receive its first doses today and that those eligible will be contacted this week. Think it's all about to ramp up with the oxford one needing less intensive storage so some areas had to wait for that 

4 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Im pretty sure construction and manufacturing weren't permitted throughout, I remember in June, Boris precisely saying when construction and stuff like that was allowed to go back to work. The first march lockdown was deffo more strict on businesses that could open. As we saw from places like greggs and b and q being criticized for opening as "essential shops"

Construction was actively encouraged to carry on working in the first lockdown.

3 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Construction and manufacturing were allowed, but so many businesses voluntarily closed that they had to be gently nudged back by Boris in his Sunday night address to the nation in early May. The guidance said “only travel to work if you cannot work from home” but some businesses incorrectly thought they had to close. 

Takeaway hospitality was always allowed. Places like McDonald’s closed voluntarily but would have always been allowed to open for takeaway and delivery.

1 minute ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

My mum in law (85 in assisted living) been told it’ll be done at her place in January, and my mum (81 living on her own) has received a call from her surgery also saying January. No definite appointments yet though.

My grandmother had a call over the weekend to say she should expect a letter confirming vaccination date / time in the post imminently.

My Wife's grandparents had theirs done 2 weeks ago. They live 5 mins from the festival site so they must be cracking on with it in that area as Michael was vaccinated over the weekend. 

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

We’re going to be in some pretty intense lockdown procedures till at least the Spring I think. I honestly can’t see any of the U.K. festival season going ahead again!

If they hit the vaccination targets which they are alluding to by mid Feb you will defo see change and therefore restrictions eased.

7 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Manufacturing was definitely shutdown in March. Not sure about construction. Although the two industries do depend on each other to some extent. 

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Cool that's what I thought. Someone said earlier in the thread that it was stricter, obviously not then.

Yep it’s frustrating people posting ‘updates’ with no reference to a source which then turn out to be wrong. 

Think the big moment will be when the community mass vaccination centers start jabbing next week (is it likely to be as of Monday or is it an open ended next week?)

When will we start to see the effects on figures of vaccinations? I assume it'll hit the death numbers first, hospital admissions and then eventually number of positive results?

4 minutes ago, PolygonWindow said:

If they hit the vaccination targets which they are alluding to by mid Feb you will defo see change and therefore restrictions eased.

I’m going to say this now and I’m willing to accept people piling on.

I don’t think we will hit our vaccination targets. I think we will be seriously behind judging by how far behind we have been with everything.

I reckon our peak time for vaccinations will be mid-spring / early summer.

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Manufacturing was definitely shutdown in March. Not sure about construction. Although the two industries do depend on each other to some extent. 

https://www.pinsentmasons.com/out-law/news/manufacturing-exempt-uk-coronavirus-lockdown

This article from two days after the lockdown was announced suggests otherwise 

16 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

.... she said everyone over 50 so (I think) that’s more than just the vulnerable. (It includes me!). Her figure was that represents 2.5 million, that’s not far off 50% of the population.

So that should mean the rest of the UK will be vaccinated to the same proportion? Surely the vaccines will be distributed proportionally to all four nations.

Just now, Matt42 said:

I don’t think we will hit our vaccination targets. I think we will be seriously behind judging by how far behind we have been with everything.

I'm trying to be optimistic, but anything is possible with this government's ability to fuck things up.

Just now, Matt42 said:

I think the infrastructure will be there but the vaccines to make full use of them will not, after an initial flurry this month (every life saved is a positive anyway).

I wonder where the raw materials come from...