2017 Ticket Sale

mufcok

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I disagree. If it takes 8 hours, us obsessives that are still f5ing can hoover up the last tickets when the casuals have stopped trying and gone to the pub.

8 hours of f5ing would be awful, I can almost feel the finger strain just thinking about it

Edited by MadScientist

16 hours ago, MadScientist said:

2014 it took 1hr 27 min and then 2015 it took 25 min. 

I like the sale being quick, you don't spend an hour for nothing if you don't get tix that way

2004 the sale started in the evening (7pm?). I gave up trying around 1am. Tried again at 4am, 6am and eventually got tickets via the freya back door link posted on this forum at around 9am in work. It was horrible and it is definitely better that it's over quick now, for better or worse!

3 hours ago, t0paz said:

2004 the sale started in the evening (7pm?). I gave up trying around 1am. Tried again at 4am, 6am and eventually got tickets via the freya back door link posted on this forum at around 9am in work. It was horrible and it is definitely better that it's over quick now, for better or worse!

2004 I'd been trying for a couple of hours on the phone and on-line before I noticed a scroll bar at the side of the GF web site and realised there was more to the page. Scrolled down and there was the phone number for international buyers. Dialled it and got through straight away. Pretended to be working in our French offices (which genuinely had UK numbers). "Can you deliver it to my UK address please". I so regret only buying the one ticket. That was the first year most of the regular attendees from 'round my way failed to get tickets.

I think I prefer that they sell out at around the half hour mark. It's not a stupid "sell out instantly" situation and it doesn't drag on for too long (though the adrenaline makes it feel so).

(I may be being a bit selfish here. If they go in half an hour I can make all of my shifts but one (night shift, commuting home at ticket time). If it takes over an hour and a half I'm going to miss my 11:00 shifts (have to catch a shuttle, if I miss it I'm awol)).

Typing that I'm now super paranoid that See are going to somehow cock up again and I'm going to miss a shift.

6 hours ago, MrZigster said:

2004 I'd been trying for a couple of hours on the phone and on-line before I noticed a scroll bar at the side of the GF web site and realised there was more to the page. Scrolled down and there was the phone number for international buyers. Dialled it and got through straight away. Pretended to be working in our French offices (which genuinely had UK numbers). "Can you deliver it to my UK address please". I so regret only buying the one ticket. That was the first year most of the regular attendees from 'round my way failed to get tickets.

I think I prefer that they sell out at around the half hour mark. It's not a stupid "sell out instantly" situation and it doesn't drag on for too long (though the adrenaline makes it feel so).

(I may be being a bit selfish here. If they go in half an hour I can make all of my shifts but one (night shift, commuting home at ticket time). If it takes over an hour and a half I'm going to miss my 11:00 shifts (have to catch a shuttle, if I miss it I'm awol)).

Typing that I'm now super paranoid that See are going to somehow cock up again and I'm going to miss a shift.

2004 was the only year so far since 1995 that I have failed to get tickets- had always managed to get through on phone before or sent off for them by post!  - I think that was the first year people started to buy tickets online more - and remember this was dial up days!! I spent all night trying to get through on the phone and on my new laptop , and tried all ways of getting tickets!! Even entered competitions!! No luck:( Don't want to repeat that feeling again!! 

2004 was the year the system screwed up and loads of people accidentally bought tickets twice wasn't it? I failed in the main sale but managed to score a pair in one of the many unannounced resales. 

I didn't end up going because the other person I'd bought for had booked a holiday for that weekend, so I let the tickets go to a couple of friends. Should have just gone on my own. :(

2004 phoning what seemed like a call centre of one or two people or buying online connecting to a zx spectrum over the slowest internet line ever. Think I got through in the early hours of the morning when many others had given up.

now it's not about persistence but group size. I know of a well organised group of 30+ who all get tickets every year. Our group is down to 12 people, 4 of which cannot try on the day, the fear is creaping in.....

3 minutes ago, morph100 said:

2004 phoning what seemed like a call centre of one or two people or buying online connecting to a zx spectrum over the slowest internet line ever. Think I got through in the early hours of the morning when many others had given up.

now it's not about persistence but group size. I know of a well organised group of 30+ who all get tickets every year. Our group is down to 12 people, 4 of which cannot try on the day, the fear is creaping in.....

12! That's four times as many as I'm trying for...

47 minutes ago, morph100 said:

Try it with two mate :(

well its only myself and a friend this year so the first year I havent had to buy the maximum number ,fewer details to put in so should be quicker should I get through to booking page , Ive got them 13 times out of 13 so have a fairly good record :) but have had to get them in the resale before .maybe luck might run out this year .I might have to try for people on here should I get ours :)

I think 20-30 minutes is just about the minimum it will hopefully stay at. Any shorter and it would be horrible, they could definitely make it shorter if they wanted but I think they are aware of the sense of helplessness and unhappiness say, a 10 minute sale would create. At least if you know you've got 20 minutes you can give it a good crack and if you don't get tickets you can put it down to luck and at least you had a chance. if tickets went after 5-10 minutes most people would feel they never really had a chance in the first place.

I'd personally favour a longer sale, because as has been stated people definitely get despondent after 10 or so minutes of getting nowhere and those with a little more patience would be more likely to prevail.

Edited to add: Thinking about it, if the sale was too short then it could have a longer term adverse affect on ticket sales, with people becoming despondent and believing its impossible to get tickets because they go almost straight away. it may lead to a situation where a lot of people just don't bother because they feel its impossible

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
spelling

6 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think 20-30 minutes is just about the minimum it will hopefully stay at. Any shorter and it would be horrible, they could definitely make it shorter if they wanted but I think they are aware of the sense of helplessness and unhappiness say, a 10 minute sale would create. At least if you know you've got 20 minutes you can give it a good crack and if you don't get tickets you can put it down to luck and at least you had a chance. if tickets went after 5-10 minutes most people would feel they never really had a chance in the first place.

I'd personally favour a longer sale, because as has been stated people definitely get despondent after 10 or so minutes of getting nowhere and those with a little more patience would be more likely to prevail.

Edited to add: Thinking about it, if the sale was too short then it could have a longer term adverse affect on ticket sales, with people becoming despondent and believing its impossible to get tickets because they go almost straight away. it may lead to a situation where a lot of people just don't bother because they feel its impossible

Agree with this 100%. 

its gonna be a nightmare as always but i hope we all get tix we need ...ive got to get my wife a ticket this year as my disablity is being switched and it wont be approved in time so ill get her a tix and then have to chuck it back in the pot ..silly really but its just a matter of timing..oh well

Two weeks until T-Day. It's been marked off in our calendar and the other half has been told to book anything on that day at her peril.

It'll be at 7pm here in Melbourne (with our clocks going forward an hour just a week before). In some ways that'll be great, not to have to remember to set the alarm. In another sense, I'll have all day to fret and panic and check the batteries in the keyboard and the stability of the internet. The temptation to calm the old nerves with a cider will be there as well.

14 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

I have decided I am going to go in to the office on T day. in some vain hope that a faster computer and faster internet speed will help with my purchase.

it will help that if I don't get tickets I can head in to town for a pint

The last couple of years I've got mine by connecting to my work server from home through VPN, not sure if this helped or it was just the luck of the draw.  In 2013 I didn't get them and I was just trying through my home internet.