news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

So putting out a worst case scenario. The Queen dies in the 3rd week of June...seriously what happens?

Whatever happens it'll end in tiaras 

Edited by oneeye

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

What is funny is I was watching BBC News as the it broke.  I am 99% sure that the women presenting changed out of her top for a black one before breaking the news.  They must keep a black top backup for such an occasion.

Paxman was talking about this on Richard Herring's Podcast, they all have special mourning clothes kept in a wardrobe two flights of stairs up and Robin Cook nicked Paxman's after spilling some coffee over his own clothes.

So putting out a worst case scenario. The Queen dies in the 3rd week of June...seriously what happens?

That’s a fear I’ve had for a while. Reckon a quick blast of fix you by Coldplay and just carry on as normal.  And Michael can change into black denim shorts. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris
  • Upvote 2

Festival cancelled. I don’t know what else they can do. The people there may all be free to do what they want but the essential medical and police coverage that is required for the festival to go ahead is highly likely not to be available 

20 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Can’t even watch TOTP2 tonight! This is fucking bullshit!

Convincing myself that they’ve shut BBC4 down for DMX at least...

I had put the old grey whistle test documentary and best of on planner and just seen it’s been cancelled! Why the fuck have they done that. It’s not as if the queen would know it’s on. Anyway there is Flaming  Lips documentary on sky arts at ten.  They better not piss about with that. 

6 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Anyway there is Flaming  Lips documentary on sky arts at ten.  They better not piss about with that. 

Sky don't seem to have fallen for the 'nation in mourning' bullshit - sports channels are still showing their schedules & sky one is currently showing the Simpsons, so I reckon you should be safe.

6 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Sky don't seem to have fallen for the 'nation in mourning' bullshit - sports channels are still showing their schedules & sky one is currently showing the Simpsons, so I reckon you should be safe.

Yes, currently got the Simpsons on. Even Taylor Swift and the Mumfords got a mention there!   

C5 seems untouched as well. 

1 hour ago, guypjfreak said:

Sad news personally.. Top bloke who came out with some real funny things.. 

RIP 

1_Duke-of-Edinburghs-final-public-engagement.jpg

Yeah, a real legend:

"British women can’t cook”

“Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaining they are unemployed” (during the 1981 recession).

“You are a woman, aren’t you?” (in Kenya after accepting a small gift from a local woman).

“If you stay here much longer you’ll all be slitty-eyed” (to a group of British students during a royal visit to China).

“You can’t have been here that long, you haven’t got pot belly” (to a Briton he met in Hungary).

“Aren’t most of you descended from pirates?” (to a wealthy islander in the Cayman Islands).

“How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test” (to a Scottish driving instructor).

“It looks as if it was put in by an Indian” (referring to an old-fashioned fuse box in a factory near Edinburgh).

“Still throwing spears?” (question put to an Aboriginal Australian during a visit).

“There’s a lot of your family in tonight” (after looking at the name badge of businessman Atul Patel at a Palace reception for British Indians).

“The Philippines must be half-empty as you’re all here running the NHS” (on meeting a Filipino nurse at Luton and Dunstable Hospital). 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yeah, a real legend:

"British women can’t cook”

“Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaining they are unemployed” (during the 1981 recession).

“You are a woman, aren’t you?” (in Kenya after accepting a small gift from a local woman).

“If you stay here much longer you’ll all be slitty-eyed” (to a group of British students during a royal visit to China).

“You can’t have been here that long, you haven’t got pot belly” (to a Briton he met in Hungary).

“Aren’t most of you descended from pirates?” (to a wealthy islander in the Cayman Islands).

“How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test” (to a Scottish driving instructor).

“It looks as if it was put in by an Indian” (referring to an old-fashioned fuse box in a factory near Edinburgh).

“Still throwing spears?” (question put to an Aboriginal Australian during a visit).

“There’s a lot of your family in tonight” (after looking at the name badge of businessman Atul Patel at a Palace reception for British Indians).

“The Philippines must be half-empty as you’re all here running the NHS” (on meeting a Filipino nurse at Luton and Dunstable Hospital). 

He obviously supplemented his meagre income by writing jokes for Bernard Manning and Benny Hill.

You also have to remember many of these utterances were made when he wasn’t old, they can’t be blamed on his age.

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

6musis now reverting to a sort of halfway house of mainly downbeat music with occasional basic links in between. Not heard this type of broadcasting since 9/11 (was listening to Mark Radcliffe then too, funnily enough).

Aye. Just had enough and switched it off.  Dismal.

Though might switch it back on at 10 to see if they're going to play Huey's show, which I think is usually prerecorded.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Aye. Just had enough and switched it off.  Dismal.

Though might switch it back on at 10 to see if they're going to play Huey's show, which I think is usually prerecorded.

I just checked the schedule funnily enough. Radcliffe 7 to 11, then Maconie 11 to 3. I guess they're regarded as being the 'steady hands'!

Gideon Coe drafted in later too.

Edited by Homer