news & politics:discussion

zahidf

11 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

In an argument someone asked what I do, and I said i'm furloughed at the moment. Then they responded with "and who do you think pays for that furlough??? thats right, the great british empire!!! of which the queen is HEAD OF STATE!!! so have some respect!!!!"

How thick are these people?

It's not even worth wasting your breath arguing with these morons!

14 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/apr/12/bbcs-prince-philip-coverage-breaks-uk-tv-complaints-record

Looks like at least we're not alone. If anyone was annoyed by the coverage I'd encourage you to submit a complaint. 

I already did - mine is one of the 100,000 reported. I think it's actually quite significant when you consider that the next two most complained about things (Jerry Springer and Russell Brand) were huge media furores at the time. 

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

Already have 😄

I did as well as did my husband. Was tempted to do it on behalf of the dogs as well 😄 

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I already did - mine is one of the 100,000 reported. I think it's actually quite significant when you consider that the next two most complained about things (Jerry Springer and Russell Brand) were huge media furores at the time. 

Yes they can ignore whines on Facebook or Twitter but hopefully not official complaints. 

Thing is, I genuinely find it sad that he's died.  Regardless of my thoughts on the monarchy as an institution, a 94 year old woman has lost her husband of 70+ years and that's going to be horrendous regardless of how much money you've got.  I don't believe him to have been someone that made the world a worse place by his existence, so I certainly don't take an joy in his passing.

But the blanket coverage thing was nuts. For an organisation like the BBC that's supposed to be a service to the entire population that funds it, how can it be justified that everyone is expected to feel the same way about it?

It'll still be a black and white issue that's used to batter people with in the bullshit culture war though

• Upvote 1

The blanket coverage was nuts. But I didn't complain myself. As someone who doesn't pay the TV license, I don't feel it's my place to complain about the BBC. It does highlight how different people's attitudes to the BBC are, I think some people hold them to a higher standard than they do other broadcasters, because they are seen as 'nationalised'.

19 minutes ago, Quark said:

Thing is, I genuinely find it sad that he's died.  Regardless of my thoughts on the monarchy as an institution, a 94 year old woman has lost her husband of 70+ years and that's going to be horrendous regardless of how much money you've got.  I don't believe him to have been someone that made the world a worse place by his existence, so I certainly don't take an joy in his passing.

But the blanket coverage thing was nuts. For an organisation like the BBC that's supposed to be a service to the entire population that funds it, how can it be justified that everyone is expected to feel the same way about it?

It'll still be a black and white issue that's used to batter people with in the bullshit culture war though

Yeah of course it's sad someone died. I didn't like the guy from what I've heard of him but I didn't know him and of course sad for the family.

But the blanket coverage was insane. Let one channel do it for the weird royalists and let the rest of us crack on.

Just now, maelzoid said:

The blanket coverage was nuts. But I didn't complain myself. As someone who doesn't pay the TV license, I don't feel it's my place to complain about the BBC. It does highlight how different people's attitudes to the BBC are, I think some people hold them to a higher standard than they do other broadcasters, because they are seen as 'nationalised'.

I pay a licence fee so that's part of why I complained.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I think they have to be.  If you want to watch or record live tv on any platform (including the streaming subscription services) then you have to pay for a licence.  Their remit and responsibilities are also markedly different from private broadcasters.