When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

58 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Alas, I don’t know. All of the trials have said they would inform participants if the git the placebo so that they could go ahead and get vaccinated, but I haven’t seen precise schedules for when they aim to do that. Maybe some of those that participated in the other trials might have an idea.

51 minutes ago, rascalpete said:

Janssen we have to call them when we are offered the vaccine then they will unblind us. If we have had the vaccine but it isn’t approved we can continue on the trial if we like or interestingly they said it is ok to have the Oxford/Pfizer on top of J&J if we would prefer an approved one. If we haven’t we can get the nhs offered vaccine.

Think I understood it all correctly ha

Edit. If we weren’t offered a vaccine it would be full study length before we knew 2 year 3 month 

(ensemble2)

So I have had some good personal news today regarding vaccine - I am participating in the J&J ensemble 2 trial and had my jab on 7th Jan. Since then I have been offered an approved vaccine (I volunteer for a an NHS Trust counselling service) and I spoke to the J&J team who unblinded me. I was pretty certain I had the placebo as I had zero symptoms/reactions to the jab. As it turns out I have had an ‘active’ dose. The first jab of this trial is apparently the same dose as that used in the single jab trial in the US that is about to report. Where the J&J guys are confident it is has as good as or better results than Oxford/ AZ and only need one jab. So putting aside the very good news I have had a vaccine, I need to decide whether to take up the opportunity to have what will be second jab that has been offered.  Ethically I thought that I should leave that for someone who has not yet had a jab. However in talking to the doc on the ensemble trial she said that I could have a second jab from a different supplier (in my case it will likely be Pfizer) and that would help the trials people gather data on the mix and match approach to vaccination doses. There is very limited evidence out there right now on this. I have a week to decide what to do. 

what do you think?

@SophieBeeand @duke88 I know you are in ensemble. Thought you might find this interesting. 

• Upvote 2

@toiletduck can you help out here.

Why didn't Astrazeneca/Oxford get more over 65s recruited into the trials in the first place?

I'm scratching my head, surely getting enough of each demographic is part of the trial design and others pharmas were able to do so. Yes, there's a risk a few get ill but I assume that's the same with any trial and it's for the greater good.

7 minutes ago, chuckles07 said:

So I have had some good personal news today regarding vaccine - I am participating in the J&J ensemble 2 trial and had my jab on 7th Jan. Since then I have been offered an approved vaccine (I volunteer for a an NHS Trust counselling service) and I spoke to the J&J team who unblinded me. I was pretty certain I had the placebo as I had zero symptoms/reactions to the jab. As it turns out I have had an ‘active’ dose. The first jab of this trial is apparently the same dose as that used in the single jab trial in the US that is about to report. Where the J&J guys are confident it is has as good as or better results than Oxford/ AZ and only need one jab. So putting aside the very good news I have had a vaccine, I need to decide whether to take up the opportunity to have what will be second jab that has been offered.  Ethically I thought that I should leave that for someone who has not yet had a jab. However in talking to the doc on the ensemble trial she said that I could have a second jab from a different supplier (in my case it will likely be Pfizer) and that would help the trials people gather data on the mix and match approach to vaccination doses. There is very limited evidence out there right now on this. I have a week to decide what to do. 

what do you think?

@SophieBeeand @duke88 I know you are in ensemble. Thought you might find this interesting. 

Personally i would say don’t overthink it and get the jab. Nothing is certain and just play what’s in front of you.

• Upvote 1

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/covid-travel-law-borders-law-police-b1794268.html?utm_content=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1611869579

So Priti Patel's words were completely empty ones this week.

Easyjet are hardly going to challenge people's reason for going (ridiculous that they are being asked to as it's obviously a matter for customs/border staff) and now it turns out no one officials are powerless too.

There is no means to stop people flying out of the country if they want to.

10 minutes ago, xxialac said:

@toiletduck can you help out here.

Why didn't Astrazeneca/Oxford get more over 65s recruited into the trials in the first place?

I'm scratching my head, surely getting enough of each demographic is part of the trial design and others pharmas were able to do so. Yes, there's a risk a few get ill but I assume that's the same with any trial and it's for the greater good.

AZ’s explanation is that the early trials (the collection of small trial bundled together) were investigator-led trials by academics at Oxford and they wanted to see that the safety profile was robust before going into a more frail population. So they waited til later to recruit them.

Edited by Toilet Duck
Typos!

14 minutes ago, chuckles07 said:

what do you think?

Also ensemble 2 and I think I had it, I'm hopefully going to be deployed as a volunteer vaccinator with St John ambulance imminently so may face a similar dilemma with the vaccine. 

I hadn't thought about adding in more data for mixing vaccines, in which case if offered I think I'd personally go for the first available jab. 

We don't know J&J efficacy yet and there's no real reason to think that there would be an adverse reaction to another vaccine. 

My only hesitation is that Pfizer is a new type of vaccine so might have an unexpected side effect but given its doing essentially the same thing in the body as AZ vaccine I can't see what route that would happen by.

Guys I'm feeling positive. We current have 2 vaccines in circulation (Pfizer and Astra), Moderna is coming in the couple of month, Novavax and Janssen not long afterwards. Astra should be hitting 2m a week deliveries. I got a bet that by August we'll have no more masks or social distancing (borders is another issue - don't suspect international holidays to be back till 22) 

Only thing ruining the party are 

• Low uptake of Vaccine - I've seen data that BAME communities are reluctant to take it. Surprised cos my parents will take it in a heart beat 
  • Supply issues - Either with the EU or further production problems 
  • Resistant strain - the SA and Brazil variants don't look great 

By May we should be vaccinating 4-5m a week with supply no longer being an issue (we were doing 400k per day before supply issues) by that stage hand rate we will vaccinate everyone by July 

2 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

Hope they get one, or at least things get speeded up so they don’t have wait too long to get one with the national rollout

Not likely. The one thing thats missing from that is saying the kind of people waiting to try to get a shot. Its the ones who have time and money to do this sort of thing. Theyre going to the poorer parts of LA to try to get it and go back to their $4000 a month apartments. Vaccine gentrification at its core. Fortunately the ultra wealthy and elite have been getting stopped cold at trying to jump ahead to get it for the time being.

10 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Guys I'm feeling positive. We current have 2 vaccines in circulation (Pfizer and Astra), Moderna is coming in the couple of month, Novavax and Janssen not long afterwards. Astra should be hitting 2m a week deliveries. I got a bet that by August we'll have no more masks or social distancing (borders is another issue - don't suspect international holidays to be back till 22) 

Only thing ruining the party are 

• Low uptake of Vaccine - I've seen data that BAME communities are reluctant to take it. Surprised cos my parents will take it in a heart beat 
  • Supply issues - Either with the EU or further production problems 
  • Resistant strain - the SA and Brazil variants don't look great 

By May we should be vaccinating 4-5m a week with supply no longer being an issue (we were doing 400k per day before supply issues) by that stage hand rate we will vaccinate everyone by July 

I'm also positive but see it the other way.

I think by August we will still have social distancing (and masks in certain situations, they cost the economy nothing to implement after all) though still vastly more freedom.

But international holidays happening before then, probably back in May.

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

Not likely. The one thing thats missing from that is saying the kind of people waiting to try to get a shot. Its the ones who have time and money to do this sort of thing. Theyre going to the poorer parts of LA to try to get it and go back to their $4000 a month apartments. Vaccine gentrification at its core. Fortunately the ultra wealthy and elite have been getting stopped cold at trying to jump ahead to get it for the time being.

Like these nobs! 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-55805907

5 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Ensemble 2 squad assemble! 

I'm also on it, felt rough with a temperature of 38 the day after so hoping I got it (if it works!)

Same here. Had it on Wednesday morning. Fine all day then headache / temperature all night. In fact that's why I'm awake now, I went to bed yesterday evening at 7 to make up for lack of sleep on Wednesday night. Feel fine now but would put money on having had the real vaccine.

5 hours ago, xxialac said:

I think by August we will still have social distancing (and masks in certain situations, they cost the economy nothing to implement after all) though still vastly more freedom.

What kind of social distancing could you see still in place by August? For me I would think the only kind of social distancing remaining would be restrictions on pubs (e.g still table service), clubs, indoor gigs and maybe festivals. 

3 hours ago, km9 said:

Same here. Had it on Wednesday morning. Fine all day then headache / temperature all night. In fact that's why I'm awake now, I went to bed yesterday evening at 7 to make up for lack of sleep on Wednesday night. Feel fine now but would put money on having had the real vaccine.

7 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Also ensemble 2 and I think I had it, I'm hopefully going to be deployed as a volunteer vaccinator with St John ambulance imminently so may face a similar dilemma with the vaccine. 

I hadn't thought about adding in more data for mixing vaccines, in which case if offered I think I'd personally go for the first available jab. 

We don't know J&J efficacy yet and there's no real reason to think that there would be an adverse reaction to another vaccine. 

My only hesitation is that Pfizer is a new type of vaccine so might have an unexpected side effect but given its doing essentially the same thing in the body as AZ vaccine I can't see what route that would happen by.

I’m pretty sure I had the placebo too, that night I felt a bit groggy with a headache and woke up with a mad temp/fever in the middle of the night, straight back to sleep and fine again in the morn. Had the jab last Tuesday and yesterday was the first day my arm has not been in discomfort. Fingers crossed you guys had the vax!

ps. I have my interview with St. John’s, any advice?

41 minutes ago, zero000 said:

What kind of social distancing could you see still in place by August? For me I would think the only kind of social distancing remaining would be restrictions on pubs (e.g still table service), clubs, indoor gigs and maybe festivals. 

Yeah, pretty much that.

32 minutes ago, rascalpete said:

I’m pretty sure I had the placebo too, that night I felt a bit groggy with a headache and woke up with a mad temp/fever in the middle of the night, straight back to sleep and fine again in the morn. Had the jab last Tuesday and yesterday was the first day my arm has not been in discomfort. Fingers crossed you guys had the vax!

ps. I have my interview with St. John’s, any advice?

I'm a bit confused. If you felt groggy what makes you think you had a saline injection?

9 hours ago, gizmoman said:

Why assume they're women? They could be long-haired men or transgender. I'm joking of course but the point is valid, they are stereotypical images because WE make assumptions about images. How would you represent a gay man or a lesbian single mother in an image like this without resorting to a perceived "typical" view of that particular minority. Dingbat's point was valid, we shouldn't have to analyse every image to check that it conforms to an acceptable view, ironically it could well be the person who made this was trying to be more "inclusive" by featuring more women than men.

People who just don't see race, sex, etc so it's not a problem often translate as people who don't experience racism, sexism, etc so don't think it's a problem. 

No one is asking people to make sure there are lesbian single mothers in all infographics, they are saying that an image of people doing housework and childcare shouldn't just be pictures of women and the fact that they are shows (hopefully unconscious) bias on behalf of the people behind the image.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, km9 said:

I'm a bit confused. If you felt groggy what makes you think you had a saline injection?

I Just put it down to stress, it was the first time I’d given blood and I’d really stressed myself out about it but yeah it could have been the vaccine. My partner had had the Oxford jab through work that weekend and it took her out for days and I just compared myself to that I guess.

10 hours ago, hodgey123 said:

Good news this. Any idea on the timeline for approvals, UK order amount etc. (I don’t think it has been submitted yet has it?)

Not sure, but they have been providing rolling data to the regulators (as happened with the other vaccines), which hopefully will speed things up.

For those wondering about this newcomer vaccine:

The Novavax vaccine is different from the Oxford/AstraZeneca or the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccines. It contains spike proteins, produced by moth cells infected with a genetically modified virus, together with a substance called an adjuvant which boosts the immune response. However, like the Oxford/AstraZeneca jab, it can be stored between 2 and 8C, meaning it requires only normal refrigeration and making it easier to deliver it to patients.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jan/28/novavax-covid-vaccine-shown-to-be-nearly-90-effective-in-uk-trial

6 hours ago, xxialac said:

I think the other way round - masks still encouraged and recommended by then but with not as strict distancing measures in households but limits on attendances at events/hospitality?’