When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

9 hours ago, chuckles07 said:

So I have had some good personal news today regarding vaccine - I am participating in the J&J ensemble 2 trial and had my jab on 7th Jan. Since then I have been offered an approved vaccine (I volunteer for a an NHS Trust counselling service) and I spoke to the J&J team who unblinded me. I was pretty certain I had the placebo as I had zero symptoms/reactions to the jab. As it turns out I have had an ‘active’ dose. The first jab of this trial is apparently the same dose as that used in the single jab trial in the US that is about to report. Where the J&J guys are confident it is has as good as or better results than Oxford/ AZ and only need one jab. So putting aside the very good news I have had a vaccine, I need to decide whether to take up the opportunity to have what will be second jab that has been offered.  Ethically I thought that I should leave that for someone who has not yet had a jab. However in talking to the doc on the ensemble trial she said that I could have a second jab from a different supplier (in my case it will likely be Pfizer) and that would help the trials people gather data on the mix and match approach to vaccination doses. There is very limited evidence out there right now on this. I have a week to decide what to do. 

what do you think?

@SophieBeeand @duke88 I know you are in ensemble. Thought you might find this interesting. 

Thanks! Great news you've had the real thing. I think if you're helping provide much-needed data the mix and match approach, then I'd get the second jab from Pfizer - it's probably going to be more valuable to a society as a whole knowing this than one additional person getting a jab a bit earlier.

I've had to turn down a vaccine when I've been volunteering at the vaccination centre - I had to tell them there and then if I wanted one as it would have been from the doses remaining at the end of the day. There was some talk on Twitter from people also on the Novovax trial who had been told that all the placebo recipients would be getting the real thing soon, so hopefully that's the case.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Is this as a vaccinator or a patient advocate? I had a video interview for the latter on Monday and was fine - took 10 minutes maybe and the woman doing it was very nice. They just asked me the questions they'd sent in advance so there was time to prepare. Good luck! 

I'm on the online training section now which I'm doing in bits and bobs around work. Then it's the face to face training, hopefully soon!

Seen on the news today I should be getting a jab as part of it - wasn't why I signed up but a nice little bonus! By the time I start I would imagine a good chunk of the most vulnerable will have been done so don't feel too bad about jumping the queue... especially if they often have some left over.

You're not jumping the queue in any way! You'll effectively be a frontline health worker while volunteering, so you deserve one.

15 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I don't think it's unreasonable to level the charge against the Tories for cronyism, given so much evidence for this.

That they favour their mates is not mutually incompatible with some of the appointees being competent for the roles.

Just as sometimes Kings can be born who are naturally suitable for running a country, it appears that occasionally appointing a crony can result in someone that is up to the job.  Incredibly similar circumstances to Dido Harding, with a stunningly different outcome.

Just out of interest ... has it changed anyone’s approach to seeing parents /grandparents having them vaccinated if they are close by after some protection comes n from the doses ?  Obviiously the virus  might well still be transmissible ... just wondered if people would all be waiting for second doses ? 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Just out of interest ... has it changed anyone’s approach to seeing parents /grandparents having them vaccinated if they are close by after some protection comes n from the doses ?  Obviiously the virus  might well still be transmissible ... just wondered if people would all be waiting for second doses ? 

As soon as i get my two doses i'll be seeing other people who are vaccinated. 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yeah, good question...my Mum has pfizer vaccine, and if 12 weeks till the 2nd dose then that will be end of April that she will be fully vaccinated which is after Easter hols. So, not sure what to do, will probably wait till May and visit her then.

Also being an over 50 fart I might be getting my first dose around May sometime.

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Elderly parents:

No jab - hazmat outdoors

1st jab taken effect - take off hazmat

2nd jab taken effect - quick hug (like the 5 second rule with dropping food) 

• Upvote 1

Just now, steviewevie said:

Yeah, good question...my Mum has pfizer vaccine, and if 12 weeks till the 2nd dose then that will be end of April that she will be fully vaccinated which is after Easter hols. So, not sure what to do, will probably wait till May and visit her then.

Also being an over 50 fart I might be getting my first dose around May sometime.

My parents are due in this group and myself in group 6 ... my mum is starting to show some signs of dementia and I could easily bubble with them as I’m a single person ... but I obviously don’t want to risk any covid transmission ... I’m really undecided 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

My Wife's grandparents have had both Pfizer jabs and I've had the virus. Wife / Daughter didn't have any symptoms but one would assume if i've caught it through chance at a supermarket then they've more than likely had it by default of living in the same house as me...

Anyhow I keep making the joke about us going to visit them but think it's another week or so until they are fully protected.

What do people think? Risky?

14 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’ll be doing that as soon as the rules allow me too, if my parents get vaccinated at the rules don’t allow it then I won’t. The rules will be in place for a reason is my view so I’ll stick to what I’ve been doing for the year. 

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

My parents are due in this group and myself in group 6 ... my mum is starting to show some signs of dementia and I could easily bubble with them as I’m a single person ... but I obviously don’t want to risk any covid transmission ... I’m really undecided 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

Its a tough one. She definitely has more protection after 1 jab (14 days or so after?) So the risks analysis could tilt in favour of bubbling with her

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

My Wife's grandparents have had both Pfizer jabs and I've had the virus. Wife / Daughter didn't have any symptoms but one would assume if i've caught it through chance at a supermarket then they've more than likely had it by default of living in the same house as me...

Anyhow I keep making the joke about us going to visit them but think it's another week or so until they are fully protected.

Depends on the risk analysis. I would do it myself 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

I’ll be doing that as soon as the rules allow me too, if my parents get vaccinated at the rules don’t allow it then I won’t. The rules will be in place for a reason is my view so I’ll stick to what I’ve been doing for the year. 

Totally get that and respect it ... I’ve not had a bubble and my folks are local with the worry of my mum getting worse ... if mum wasn’t I’d be quite happy to stick with not seeing them ... such a dilemma 

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

I think masks will be a thing through the summer and maybe limits inside such as seating in pubs but that’s about it. Then next winter a slight increase in measures to a rule of 10.

You reckon? If we vaccinate everyone why would we need to have restrictions? We would be like New Zealand 

3 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

We would still be in lockdown in the timeframe you are suggesting, so my advice would be to wait till the restrictions are loosened. In the briefings they’ve mentioned about still following the rules even if you’ve had the vaccine as well.

36 minutes ago, SophieBee said:

Wow, that's super interesting thanks, and on a personal note a nice thing to hear as I also had zero reaction - while I know this doesn't change the odds at all, it does mean that I am no longer convinced that it was deffo the placebo that I had. It's an interesting dilemma for you. We were offered the chance of a vaccine through my work as well (while not NHS, I work for an organisation that supports improvement work in NHS settings). I opted to decline, as there weren't many available and I've been able to do all of my work from home, whereas there are others in my team who do have had to go into hospitals. If I was in a frontfacing role like yours then I may well have made a different decision.

Good luck - let us know what you decide to do.

29 minutes ago, duke88 said:

Thanks! Great news you've had the real thing. I think if you're helping provide much-needed data the mix and match approach, then I'd get the second jab from Pfizer - it's probably going to be more valuable to a society as a whole knowing this than one additional person getting a jab a bit earlier.

I've had to turn down a vaccine when I've been volunteering at the vaccination centre - I had to tell them there and then if I wanted one as it would have been from the doses remaining at the end of the day. There was some talk on Twitter from people also on the Novovax trial who had been told that all the placebo recipients would be getting the real thing soon, so hopefully that's the case.

Yep agree - hope you and Sophie have had the active. Best of luck. Cheers

9 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

I hadn't thought about adding in more data for mixing vaccines, in which case if offered I think I'd personally go for the first available jab. 

We don't know J&J efficacy yet and there's no real reason to think that there would be an adverse reaction to another vaccine. 

My only hesitation is that Pfizer is a new type of vaccine so might have an unexpected side effect but given its doing essentially the same thing in the body as AZ vaccine I can't see what route that would happen by.

Yes my thoughts are similar. But I think the risks are minimal. So am going to go for it. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ozanne said:

Totally respect that.

My personal view is that just because the rules don't say you can meet up it logically doesn't make sense.

Given time the rules will change but the fact for instance your parents have been vaccinated and you perhaps haven't won't necessarily before the rules allow.

Therefore there is no material change in the risk level in which case.

If that makes sense?