When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

5 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It's mad that this went out without anyone saying "hang on a minute..." I work for a company that frequently used illustrations and we are always consciously trying to include different gender, ages and ethnicities.

Where I used to work got pulled up for putting out an unrepresentative infographic... The image used all showed a group of exclusively white people. 

The infographic was showing the ethnicity of a particular town being 97% white. 

6 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

Nor way you're getting away with that

At Uni we used to play a game where just before your presentation you were given a band and you had to drop as many song titles by that band into your presentation  as possible. The one I'm proudest of... "Now you might not understand this, but a Norwegian would".

53 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It's mad that this went out without anyone saying "hang on a minute..." I work for a company that frequently used illustrations and we are always consciously trying to include different gender, ages and ethnicities.

Not having a go at you at all but the fact that you have to consciously consider trying to include those sensuality, gender, ages and ethnicities tells you what is wrong. Its still not natural to think its an irrelevance to even consider those issues that demonstrates its still embedded deep down in societies brain. It seems its almost like a list of boxes we have to tick before publishing things. Doesn't mean the prejudices aren't still there, they are, the fact that we have to consider them in the first place is the problem

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Another vaccine has come to the party...

UK has 60 million doses on order.

Those pub 🍻 in the summer are getting closer and closer!

Thanks for answering part of my q re doses! Do you know the next part re MHRA approval timeline? 

18 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Not having a go at you at all but the fact that you have to consciously consider trying to include those sensuality, gender, ages and ethnicities tells you what is wrong. Its still not natural to think its an irrelevance to even consider those issues that demonstrates its still embedded deep down in societies brain. It seems its almost like a list of boxes we have to tick before publishing things. Doesn't mean the prejudices aren't still there, they are, the fact that we have to consider them in the first place is the problem

You have that backwards.

Biggotry runs deep and needs calling out. We are a long long way from being a society of equals be it race, gender or whatever.

Pulling up those that call out these things really makes you part of the problem.

14 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Good news this. Any idea on the timeline for approvals, UK order amount etc. (I don’t think it has been submitted yet has it?)

Yes, good news for the UK variant...less so in their SA trial (49% in HIV+ participants, 60% in the rest). I think the other problem they had was people dropping out as the Pfizer vaccine was approved. Still, the more the merrier! 

Edited by Toilet Duck
Typo!

15 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Good news this. Any idea on the timeline for approvals, UK order amount etc. (I don’t think it has been submitted yet has it?)

I've been trying to Google/Twitter search this for days and turned up very little, other than this disappointing tweet:

I expect we'll find out a lot more about supply in the next couple of weeks, especially with J+J apparently on the verge of releasing data.

Edit: BTW, we have 30m J+J on order.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Upvote 1

Just now, JoeyT said:

Got no idea. Assume they need to formally submit the data to the MHRA?

Generally takes about 2-3 weeks after that doesn’t it?

@Toilet Duck any thoughts?

Really depends on how long it takes them to get their submission ready and then how straightforward the data is. If it’s Pfizer simple, then it should be fairly quick! 

2 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

You have that backwards.

Biggotry runs deep and needs calling out. We are a long long way from being a society of equals be it race, gender or whatever.

Pulling up those that call out these things really makes you part of the problem.

That's definitely not how I read that post.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That's definitely not how I read that post.

'it seems like a list of boxes we have to tick'  belittles all of the excellent work done by many to ensure we properly represent our diverse society. I can't see any other way to read that?

Just now, HalfAnIdiot said:

'it seems like a list of boxes we have to tick'  belittles all of the excellent work done by many to ensure we properly represent our diverse society. I can't see any other way to read that?

I'd read the rest "Doesn't mean the prejudices aren't still there, they are, the fact that we have to consider them in the first place is the problem"

6 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Got no idea. Assume they need to formally submit the data to the MHRA?

Generally takes about 2-3 weeks after that doesn’t it?

@Toilet Duck any thoughts?

Pfizer was announced 9th November, approved 3rd December. So 3.5 weeks

AZ was announced 23rd November, approved 30th December. So 5.5 weeks

So likely this will be approved by end of Feb. Just in time to free up a load of capacity as people with Pfizer/Az come in for 2nd doses!

Is novavax 2 shots?

31 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Personally I think it's like an interim period of trying to have better more inclusive representation on purpose until it becomes natural. But that's just my view.

In this case it's not really about inclusive representation, it's just crazy to me that no one said "why are only women doing the housework and childcare in 2020?"