When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

33 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

making it up as you go along...

It's absolutely shameless 😂

It's like after ticket day when those of us who have failed to get tickets desperately try to come up with some sort of new 'fairer' system for allocating tickets that are basically just a way to ensure we get tickets

Edited by Mr.Tease

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

They’ll sort something out and all this will be just a distant memory. 

As is the case with so many news stories. All these ‘flash in a pan’ scandals are really not worth the energy to worry about. It’ll get fixed somehow, there’s nothing we can do about it, and the sun will still come up tomorrow. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

My Wife's grandparents have had both Pfizer jabs and I've had the virus. Wife / Daughter didn't have any symptoms but one would assume if i've caught it through chance at a supermarket then they've more than likely had it by default of living in the same house as me...

Anyhow I keep making the joke about us going to visit them but think it's another week or so until they are fully protected.

What do people think? Risky?

this is what that Prof Van Tam guy said the other day

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

As is the case with so many news stories. All these ‘flash in a pan’ scandals are really not worth the energy to worry about. It’ll get fixed somehow, there’s nothing we can do about it, and the sun will still come up tomorrow. 

sounds like a bit like Trump and his relax, it will all be over in a couple of weeks thing.

24 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

yep thats what i was saying about self assessment of risk ... it won't stay the same and the govt have no idea of circumstances ... we might all stick to the  rules but actually in some circumstances sticking to rules will be no help whatsoever ... 

Absolutely, I've always believed in the spirit of the law over the letter. And no, this isn't an excuse to get away with what you want but simply using common to sense to do what you can to lower the spread of the virus.

For example, back in December the rules said you could go to the pub every single night, with a different group of people. That's sticking to the rules, but would be incredibly irresponsible and very much helping spread the virus.

6 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

well yeah, no shit people are watching more tv and exercising less, its winter and not summer!

I get your point but there’s much more in their study than that, such as:

1. Reported compliance with government guidelines and confidence in the government
2. Mental health including depression, anxiety and stress
3. Harm including thoughts of death or self-harm, self-harm and both psychological & physical abuse
4. Psychological and social wellbeing including life satisfaction, loneliness and happiness
5. ***New in this report*** Perceived life differences, changes in time use, and health behaviours between lockdowns
in spring 2020 and January 2021.

It is quite interesting to be fair to them. 

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

sounds like a bit like Trump and his relax, it will all be over in a couple of weeks thing.

Not really. It’s more an existential point. The News is rarely worth getting wound up about. It’s a waste of precious energy.

That’s not to say we shouldn’t be concerned and hold the government to account over objective scandals, but that’s not the currency of The News. Their currency is to keep us in a moderate level of futile outrage over things that we can’t do anything about and don’t really concern us anyway. 

Just putting this up there again. Its going to happen isn't it? 

I get what people say in terms of logic and risk but I'm not sure it sits that well with me as many have suffered through restrictions to, quite rightly, protect the vulnerable. For that group to then just decide that rules no longer apply, through their own risk assessment, once they have the vaccine all feels a bit selfish to me and may just lead to resentment. 

I am torn though, I have a young daughter and my parents who have followed the rule to the letter are also making comments intimating that they want to visit once they have the vaccine. Its not a straightforward one because if it does slow any of the criteria for unlocking (and it more than likely will do, regardless of how effective the vaccine is on transmissibility) then that isn't good for anyone. 

Time will tell I suppose. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I work in a supermarket ... so yep quite a few contacts ..... at the moment ive 2 weeks off so will likely go and see my folks at the end of that (maybe ) .... although im nervous with that ... will wait for jab i think 

ive just become aware of quite how transmissible this virus is though in terms of real life .... 2 colleagues have passed it from one to the other  both wearing facemasks and a very short interaction ..... im now off to upgrade to a N95 mask  and would advise anyone else reading to do the same .... 

I think you're right to wait. I hear too many people using the excuse "we can have a bubble so...", as if being allowed to form a bubble is some sort of safety cushion. The bubble is there for the people who need it, not for everybody who is eligible.

51 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Why have the EU pushed for the contract to be made public if they aren't confident of their position?

If it's anything like the Curevac contract (which has now mysteriously been taken down)  there is a clause which gives the pharma company a veto on publication.

26 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I've never done so much exercise in all my life (3 hours a day!) even carrying out a scientific experiment of doing that "six pack in 30 days" app to see if such a thing as possible, yet have been putting on almost a pound a week despite eating exactly the same- proof that no good ever comes from it!

My mental health has been fine, but I've never had so many referrals or counselling enquiries in my life as I have over the last 3 months, plus nearly every friend I message seems to be struggling too. tough times for a lot of people, with no particular end date in sight. Have to hope vaccine rollout helps bring light at the end of the tunnel for people.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

best reasonable efforts

Think they broke the internet. That's probably why I couldn't get to the Curevac contract. Never have so many been so interested in such boring contract law.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

best reasonable efforts

“Best Reasonable Efforts” means

(a) in the case of AstraZeneca, the activities and degree of effort that a company of similar size with a similarly-sized infrastructure and similar resources as AstraZeneca would undertake or use in the development and manufacture of a Vaccine at the relevant stage of development or commercialization having regard to the urgent need for a Vaccine to end a global pandemic which is resulting in serious public health issues, restrictions on personal freedoms and economic impact, across the world but taking into account efficacy and safety; and

(b) in the case of the Commission and the Participating Member States, the activities and degree of effort that governments would undertake or use in supporting their contractor in the development of the Vaccine having regard to the urgent need for a Vaccine to end a global pandemic which is resulting in serious public health issues, restrictions on personal freedoms and economic impact, across the world.