When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, Chef said:

Do you know if there are more participants in the >65's in the US trial to hopefully make things clearer or are we effectively in a live mass trial with it currently being rolled out in the UK? 

Yes, they had to include a lot more older people and a more diverse population, so the data from the US trial should be a lot tighter! (hence the FDA are waiting for that before they make any decision). 

• Upvote 1

This is well worth a read given various hyperbolic news reports:

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-reports-that-guidance-from-stiko-in-germany-has-recommended-the-oxford-astrazeneca-vaccine-only-for-under-65s/

That site is an excellent resource for expert opinion on scientific matters of the day. These things are far too often poorly communicated by journalists and twitter in general.

Not the biggest fan of Sky releasing the findings in a headline grabbing way like this. Especially as @Toilet Duck has explained that it isn’t necessarily an issue at this stage, and more something that needs monitoring. 
Surely reporting it like this is going to have a negative impact to uptake of the vaccines, at a time when we really need to be ramping them up. And it could all be unnecessary scaremongering. 

Edited by st dan

Sign me up and I'll wash it down with  pint of Guinness:

AN IRISH pharmaceutical company are in "advanced stages" of producing a tablet that stops the spreads of the Covid-19.

MSD Pharmaceutical, otherwise known as Merck & Co. in the US and Canada, is reportedly on the verge of producing this new pill-form treatment for coronavirus after it passed a number of successful tests.

https://www.irishpost.com/news/irish-firm-in-advanced-stages-of-creating-pill-that-stops-spread-of-covid-19-202501

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Not seeing the big drops that we were ... seems like some plateauxing beginning to happen in positive case numbers .... obviously week on week numbers showing a decent drop still 

That’s how exponential decay works, as the numbers get lower you won’t see the jaw dropping falls in the week on week numbers. But as a percentage change, it’s getting stronger. The 7DRA in cases reported is 30.4% down on this time last week which is the largest week on week drop we’ve seen in case numbers in over 6 months

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

That’s how exponential decay works, as the numbers get lower you won’t see the jaw dropping falls in the week on week numbers. But as a percentage change, it’s getting stronger. The 7DRA in cases reported is 30.4% down on this time last week which is the largest week on week drop we’ve seen in case numbers in over 6 months

I’ll take that ... ta ... just don’t like seeing the daily numbers increasing ... although sometimes there’s going to be a lag 

28 minutes ago, st dan said:

Not the biggest fan of Sky releasing the findings in a headline grabbing way like this. Especially as @Toilet Duck has explained that it isn’t necessarily an issue at this stage, and more something that needs monitoring. 
Surely reporting it like this is going to have a negative impact to uptake of the vaccines, at a time when we really need to be ramping them up. And it could all be unnecessary scaremongering. 

I agree. I've just returned from my first shift at a vaccination centre where I spent hours watching the over 70s / vulnerable people have the Oxford vaccine. So many of them expressed their excitement to me at finally receiving their jabs and several said they had barely left the house since April. It's just so disconcerting to see it reported this way tbh. 

18 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’ll take that ... ta ... just don’t like seeing the daily numbers increasing ... although sometimes there’s going to be a lag 

We test different amounts of people depending on the day of the week. Most important comparison is today vs last Thursday, tomorrow vs last Friday etc

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

aren't the numbers of tests determined by people having tests because they have symptoms?

Yes and no... Not all people who get tested have symptoms (some are tested weekly through work etc, others are living in areas where asymptomatic testing takes place). Unless you think more people magically get symptoms every Thursday and Friday. 

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

Yes, they had to include a lot more older people and a more diverse population, so the data from the US trial should be a lot tighter! (hence the FDA are waiting for that before they make any decision). 

Are we expecting a particularly rich dataset to come out of the UK AZ deployment?