Where do you camp and why?

blazingstars

15 hours ago, Jake9502 said:

Me and my girlfriend's first time. We're looking for tips on which campsite would be best for us! We are looking to get some sleep at some point and looking for somewhere slightly quieter? Any ideas and also where would be best to park in relation to this! Any first timer glasto tips welcome!!

Ive always camped in Dairy Ground and loved it.

Really close to the Other stage, a short work to Pyramid, close to Arcadia. If you're coming from Ped gate A its not a bad walk. Its quiet and theres a 24 hr breakfast place on the walk home :)

I am not really about the not sleeping vibe - Dairy Ground is about a 40 min walk from the SE corner, but tbh I would take that any day over 5 days of no sleep.

You are going to have the best time ever :)

11 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Coming in from Gate A (coach) at around 1pm - mid day. 
What are the chances of 2 tents getting into Oxlyers? Its either there or Bushy Ground, have always camped towards Michaels Mead/Hawkwells. 

If you get straight in you should be ok.

Oxlyers mostly fills up by Wednesday afternoon but as with most fields there are spaces if you are prepared to look. Possibly not 2 tents together but 2 tents nearish each other (obviously depending on the size of your tents). Drop the tents with one person by the pathways and the other 3 go look around, head right in as it sometimes looks full from the edges but are odd gaps dotted about. Also depends how shy you are as you might need to ask people to move guy ropes/flags/chairs and stuff about to accommodate you. Most people I've found have no problem with this if you ask nicely.

Edited by The_Amazing_Oblong

9 minutes ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

If you get straight in you should be ok.

Oxlyers mostly fills up by Wednesday afternoon but as with most fields there are spaces if you are prepared to look. Possibly not 2 tents together but 2 tents nearish each other (obviously depending on the size of your tents). Drop the tents with one person by the pathways and the other 3 go look around, head right in as it sometimes looks full from the edges but are odd gaps dotted about. Also depends how shy you are as you might need to ask people to move guy ropes/flags/chairs and stuff about to accommodate you. Most people I've found have no problem with this if you ask nicely.

Thanks! I'm trying to get in a bit earlier so it shouldn't be too much of a problem and have never had a problem chatting with neighbours on that kinda stuff. Just dont wanna do the extra 10 minutes of walking with all our gear to find it full to turn back. Will see how we feel on the day/heat always comes into a play. 

For years, I camped in Kidney Mead but then had a few issues with gits attempting to ransack my tent and stealing from others around us. Last festival, we were later in so ended up in Hitchin Hill and it was a delight. Quieter than down by the Pyramid, a bit more space and the toilets/taps didn't have long queues/were as clean as can be.

Just that bit of a longer walk from the Hill of Death.

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Can I ask a question about the tipis that I've always wondered? I would never do it as too expensive but are you all literally sleeping in one room in there? The lack of privacy would very much put me off!

Yeah you do. It’s not glamorous at all. But the location is unreal. 

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

For years, I camped in Kidney Mead but then had a few issues with gits attempting to ransack my tent and stealing from others around us. Last festival, we were later in so ended up in Hitchin Hill and it was a delight. Quieter than down by the Pyramid, a bit more space and the toilets/taps didn't have long queues/were as clean as can be.

Just that bit of a longer walk from the Hill of Death.

Another vote for Hitchin Hill, should think I'll be there again this year.

• 2 weeks later...

All of my time going that I can remember, from a small child until eighteen, I camped in a van in the campervan fields with either my parents or my aunt and uncle. Then at the age of eighteen (2008) I camped with friends in a tent for the first time and it was on the far side of what was dance village. HAted it and spent most the time back at my uncle's campervan. The following year I camped with friends and we decided on Park Home because of its central location and having heard it was fairly lively. We have been camping there ever since for these exact reasons. It is within short walking distance of the entire site and has a great atmosphere, the right amount of liveliness without being unbearable.

• 2 years later...

Rescuing this thread as I have a question and I prefer not to open a new one.

We have the bus departing from London Wednesday 12PM (noon), how long take take to arrive to the site? And as we will arrive most likely way later than most of the people on Wednesday, what would be the easier/best spot to camp without losing too much time considering the time we will arrive?

Thanks!

On 5/9/2019 at 9:52 PM, gratefulbread said:

Where is this pic taken from? Hawkwell? 

Screenshot_20190509-215143~2.png

I camped there in 2013.....looks like someone is stood on the edge of the farm where all the cows go and taken that.

VERY steep angle...not great at night when trying to sleep.

Camped in Oxlyers in 2017. Friends picked the spot but it was just the idea of trying to be central to a lot of things so it was easier to get back to camp and grab something if need be. Quick walk to Other and all of Silver Hayes.

this year its WV, so im def stuck on the outskirts.

Edited by Suprefan

3 hours ago, AlexOvd said:

We have the bus departing from London Wednesday 12PM (noon), how long take take to arrive to the site? And as we will arrive most likely way later than most of the people on Wednesday, what would be the easier/best spot to camp without losing too much time considering the time we will arrive?

Thanks!

How many of you will they be and how big is your tent. 

3 hours ago, AlexOvd said:

Thanks!

I think if that was me arriving at that time with no friends already in, I’d go for Darble or Pylon which is the first couple of fields you come to once you get through Gate A off the coach. Especially if you think you’re going to spend a lot of time at John Peel or Silver Hayes. There’ll be plenty of space but it’s just a trek from the late night stuff. 

if there just one tent you could try your arm at the back of oxylers.

im not great with easy side knowledge it just depends if you want trek with all your stuff straight off the coach or get off set up and get stuck in. 

Just popping in to say to any newbies, whatever you do DO NOT CAMP in the Park Home Ground. It's horrible there. Really noisy, miles from anything, stinky toilets, full of people from somewhere rubbish like Kent or something. Don't bother. Go somewhere else. Seriously, I cannot stress this enough, DO NOT PUT YOUR TENT IN PARK HOME GROUND, just walk past it. Thanks. 

• Upvote 1

2002 Pennards

2003 Woodsies

2004 Cockmill

2005 Cockmill

2007 Kidney Mead

2008 Kidney Mead

2009 Kidney Mead

2010 Paine's Ground

2013  Paine's Ground

2014 Park Home Ground

2016 Park Home Ground and West Campervan

2017 South Park and West Campervan

2019 South Park and West Campervan

2022 East Campervan

Moved around over the years

Edited by Boomtowner

Just had a thought about getting in on Wednesday and whether or not this may be a good approach. I’m sure someone will come up with a very good reason why it wouldn’t work. 

could I buy a car parking pass for the worthy view car park despite not having a booking in worthy view and then skirt round to enter via Pennard Hill gate? 
presumably there wouldn’t be much of a queue there meaning that you could be among the 1st to enter when it opens and would then be very close to pennards in order to get exactly the spot you wanted

would it work? 

1 hour ago, blutarsky said:

Just had a thought about getting in on Wednesday and whether or not this may be a good approach. I’m sure someone will come up with a very good reason why it wouldn’t work. 

could I buy a car parking pass for the worthy view car park despite not having a booking in worthy view and then skirt round to enter via Pennard Hill gate? 
presumably there wouldn’t be much of a queue there meaning that you could be among the 1st to enter when it opens and would then be very close to pennards in order to get exactly the spot you wanted

would it work? 

3 potential deal breakers:  

- dunno if you can easily skirt around the WV site to get to Pennard gate - might end up being quite a long walk

- ticket system might not let you buy a WV car park ticket without a WV booking

- Vaguely remember Pennard gate is only for WV campers and locals. Having said that though I actually can’t think how they would tell, other than the amount of luggage you had.

No 2 is probably the most serious issue.

ETA: Just got curious so had a more detailed look on Google earth & OS map. It doesn’t look like any roads or public footpaths could get you from WV car park to Pennard gate… If seriously considering it I'd grab a couple of twixes and start reconnoitring now. 😉

Edited by jimmillen
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, blutarsky said:

would it work? 

We used to have a work around for this. We'd buy a campervan ticket for West and arrive Tuesday night, take everybody's tents in and set them all up. No queueing on a Wednesday morning at the West campervan entrance meant a pick of spaces and an easy set up, just a few quick trips back to the van.

Going to miss West Campervan fields.

We went through Gate D last year and stopped in Dairy Ground ( our first festival) - it was good but a bit far to pop back to get warmer clothes in the evening, and we also party a lot and felt at times we were fairly loud compared to most of the campsite.

want somewhere a bit more party vibes this year, but we’re coming through Gate A after coach from Liverpool so haven’t a clue when we’ll arrive and what will he available.

pennards sounds a spot but feels very far from gate A.

12 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

pennards sounds a spot but feels very far from gate A.

It's a trek, for sure. I personally do it each time because I love camping in Pennards. It's close to the green futures/healing fields, which are lovely to amble through to start a day. The Park is a great field to wake up to - it feels nice and chilled there most of the time. The toilets at the top are usually more decent than they have a right to be, which I think is because there's slightly less direction towards that part of the site. Yes it can be noisy, but there's something about the white noise of Glastonbury that I find easy to fall asleep to, and I don't try until I'm knackered and ready to sleep anyway.

I'm curious to try other camping fields, and one year I know I'm going to find the noise a bit much, but in terms of proximity to the things that help make a great festival for me, Pennards can't be beaten.

Happy to be corrected.

14-16 my small group did woodsies, 17 it was just 3 of us in 2 small tents and despite getting in at 3pm on Wednesday  we managed a lovely spot on the side of Row Mead. 2019 our group was back to the size of 8 we had a lovely spot in Kidney Mead and will be there again this year.

Screenshot_20220304-013512_Chrome.jpg

I'm an advocate of Oxylers, it's a great location that's central to everything we need (bar SE Corner but at 5/6am what's a walk), other stage, arcadia silver hayes all in great locations. worth noting that we pretty much camp out in the queue tuesday night though so we can get our pick of the spot and i'd much rather be in and set up so we can have a quick sleep if need be and do it that way