Where do you camp and why?

blazingstars

To answer the OP we camped in Dairy fields the first five festivals.

Last two have been Worthy View and then hospitality camping in Silver Hayes (behind Pussy Parlour).

Up for a bit of a change this time I think, although we won’t be arriving until midday on Thursday so choices will be limited I think. 

33 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

image.png.749fd5b5c9da61991ea8d31c365d273f.png

The wonders of the modern world! 

Paid for some balloons outside Tobacco Dock and the guy we brought them from had one of these! 

32 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

image.png.749fd5b5c9da61991ea8d31c365d273f.png

A mate of mine organised a huge charity hike last summer, from Eastbourne to Stoke - a shade under 300 miles. It was to raise money for the two hospitals that cared for his son, who sadly passed away the year before. I joined him for a good few miles of that. 

We had buckets, tshirts, cards with the justgiving page, all the normal jazz - but the real winner was the izettle machine to take card payments. Sooo many people smiled wanly at our charitable attempts, saying 'oh, i'm afraid we dont have any cash, but i'd love to contribute, i just cant you see' and then their faces dropped when we plopped out the card machine and told them we can accept cards too 😄

ended up raising over £25k, and a very decent portion of that was via card! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 3/4/2022 at 12:36 AM, MaxPower said:

We went through Gate D last year and stopped in Dairy Ground ( our first festival) - it was good but a bit far to pop back to get warmer clothes in the evening, and we also party a lot and felt at times we were fairly loud compared to most of the campsite.

want somewhere a bit more party vibes this year, but we’re coming through Gate A after coach from Liverpool so haven’t a clue when we’ll arrive and what will he available.

pennards sounds a spot but feels very far from gate A.

Oxlyers 100%. We always arrive via Gate A and it takes longer to fill up than Pennards. The walk isn't too bad either. Due to the proximity of Silver Hayes at one end and the track to the SE corner the other it definitely has more of a party vibe.

14 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

Oxlyers 100%. We always arrive via Gate A and it takes longer to fill up than Pennards. The walk isn't too bad either. Due to the proximity of Silver Hayes at one end and the track to the SE corner the other it definitely has more of a party vibe.

Yeah think that’s a shout, we end every night at stone circle pretty much so it’s always a trek regardless tbh. 

Any Oxylers specific tips? 

3 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Yeah think that’s a shout, we end every night at stone circle pretty much so it’s always a trek regardless tbh. 

Any Oxylers specific tips? 

We tend to camp at the end towards Silver Hayes and some of the food stands. But you also want to be far away enough that you're not kept up all night. That end is close to lock ups as well which are very handy.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Most of the time I’ve camped in oxylers but it has a bad rep for tent thieves. Happened in both 2015 and 2017.

Luckily nothing crazy taken but some of my friends had their entire cash stash gone from their bumbag while they were sleeping.

We've always camped in Oxylers and have never had anyone in our group been robbed (fortunately), though have heard of incidents over the years, always keep valuables on us and just a small bit of soare cash super stashed.

At the last festival one of our mates woke up to find 2 cans missing from a crate near the entrance to his tent, beer thieves had left him a tenner in the crate😄 so at least one sort of theft over the years while there

Edited by lukemack

21 minutes ago, lukemack said:

We've always camped in Oxylers and have never had anyone in our group been robbed (fortunately), though have heard of incidents over the years, always keep valuables on us and just a small bit of soare cash super stashed.

At the last festival one of our mates woke up to find 2 cans missing from a crate near the entrance to his tent, beer thieves had left him a tenner in the crate😄 so at least one sort of theft over the years while there

24hr bar. Honestly i wouldn't even mind if that happened - £5 for a warm can

21 minutes ago, lukemack said:

24hr bar. Honestly i wouldn't even mind if that happened - £5 for a warm can

1 hour ago, balti-pie said:

A mate of mine organised a huge charity hike last summer, from Eastbourne to Stoke - a shade under 300 miles. It was to raise money for the two hospitals that cared for his son, who sadly passed away the year before. I joined him for a good few miles of that. 

We had buckets, tshirts, cards with the justgiving page, all the normal jazz - but the real winner was the izettle machine to take card payments. Sooo many people smiled wanly at our charitable attempts, saying 'oh, i'm afraid we dont have any cash, but i'd love to contribute, i just cant you see' and then their faces dropped when we plopped out the card machine and told them we can accept cards too 😄

ended up raising over £25k, and a very decent portion of that was via card! 

We bought one for collecting fines after rugby. People used to have no cash and would rack up a huge fine over several weeks, then bargain it down at point of payment. Now there are no excuses - pay on the day. We've collected over £600 towards the end of season do. 

• Upvote 1

I'll be coming to Glastonbury for the first time from Canada. Arriving around 9-10am on the Wednesday. Anyone have recommendations on where to camp? I plan on having a fun time, but I will definitely need to be able to sleep when the time comes. Thanks!

7 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Sleep with your wallet, phone and drugs inside your sleeping bag.

Didn’t stop them one year cutting a hole in the bottom of my friends sleeping bag and taking their stuff.

These we’re pretty advanced thefts.

I've done 10 years at the back of Oxlyers beind the BBC introducing spot, great spot and usually a bit of space although it gets busier every year. There's still space there Wednesday afternoon.

Just get to the hedge line and walk down and you are at Silver Hayes.

On 3/4/2022 at 1:36 AM, chazwwe said:

14-16 my small group did woodsies, 17 it was just 3 of us in 2 small tents and despite getting in at 3pm on Wednesday  we managed a lovely spot on the side of Row Mead. 2019 our group was back to the size of 8 we had a lovely spot in Kidney Mead and will be there again this year.

Screenshot_20220304-013512_Chrome.jpg

That's my absolute favourite spot as well. Camped at the back Oxlyers last few years as there's been about 6 tents worth of us and that's where the majority wanted go, but I can't handle it any more. It's the guy rope assault course that does my head in, much prefer being 3 or 4 rows back from a path. When we did Kidney Mead it was just above your x, just to the right of the path that goes up to the lockups.

Having said that, I'm at the mercy of others this year. Got a couple of friends taking our tent in for us as we are going by coach but they are open to suggestions. I'm thinking maybe Paines, we will have about 5 tents in the group so anyone know if that will be feasible?

2 minutes ago, mazola said:

That's my absolute favourite spot as well. Camped at the back Oxlyers last few years as there's been about 6 tents worth of us and that's where the majority wanted go, but I can't handle it any more. It's the guy rope assault course that does my head in, much prefer being 3 or 4 rows back from a path. When we did Kidney Mead it was just above your x, just to the right of the path that goes up to the lockups.

Having said that, I'm at the mercy of others this year. Got a couple of friends taking our tent in for us as we are going by coach but they are open to suggestions. I'm thinking maybe Paines, we will have about 5 tents in the group so anyone know if that will be feasible?

It was such an ace spot. We've decided as a group we're going pretty much the same place, we were 2-3 tents in from the corner only had 3 tents, this year will be 4, but will be there early wednesday.

34 minutes ago, Divein said:

I've done 10 years at the back of Oxlyers beind the BBC introducing spot, great spot and usually a bit of space although it gets busier every year. There's still space there Wednesday afternoon.

Just get to the hedge line and walk down and you are at Silver Hayes.

Is there an actual path (or gap) to walk down, or are the tents right up against it?

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

57 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Is there an actual path (or gap) to walk down, or are the tents right up against it?

Usually yeah I think last time someone put a tent right up against but it was like the only one so it just sent people through their camp. 

there’s also a ditch that run along the hedge so even if gents do get out right up against it there’s usually enough space to walk single file 

• Upvote 1

Theft’s nothing. Our pals had set up in Pennards a few years ago on the Wednesday. They went for a wander and when they got back someone (fucked) was having a dump in their tent. Think he had a miserable time cleaning it up…

There’s going hard on Wednesday afternoon and going hard on Wednesday afternoon! 

10 hours ago, lukemack said:

I’d be more worried about getting extra curriculars nicked!

We started in oxlyers which was ok in 97… pennards the following year but then discovered the amazing dragon field and stayed there for a few years until it became crew camping, then williams field? (behind lost vagueness at the time).. I think we were looking for some relative peace and quiet after that so we ended up in park home for a couple of years… never really liked the long walk home.. also had 2 or 3 years in the tipis right by the park which was the best place ever location wise being a big fan of the park stage.. loved that it had grass still even in a muddy year and pretty close to the green fields which I love to end my night in.  Tipi field would be my first choice every year if we could.  

Last time I was in the Oxfam crew camping which was pretty good but a bit of a trek.  This year Toms field which is going to be excellent I reckon.  If I wasn’t working or tipi-ing I think I’d go for Lime kiln 🙂

6 hours ago, kalifire said:

Out of interest, does anyone believe certain fields contain better neighbours? Or is that luck of the draw?

Further out from the action = safer without a doubt. Depends what your vibe is if you mean what the non-thiefs are like

18 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Didn’t stop them one year cutting a hole in the bottom of my friends sleeping bag and taking their stuff.

These we’re pretty advanced thefts.

Did they have prior knowledge that the stuff was in there? Do they go around randomly slashing sleeping bags on the off chance? How did they not wake up with someone in their tent, with a knife, cutting through their sleeping bag? So many questions!

16 hours ago, whitehorses said:

Theft’s nothing. Our pals had set up in Pennards a few years ago on the Wednesday. They went for a wander and when they got back someone (fucked) was having a dump in their tent. Think he had a miserable time cleaning it up…

There’s going hard on Wednesday afternoon and going hard on Wednesday afternoon! 

It’s not the first time I’ve heard a horror story like that. Absolutely revolting. Toilets are never that far away. The mind boggles.