Where do you camp and why?

blazingstars

19 hours ago, whitehorses said:

Theft’s nothing. Our pals had set up in Pennards a few years ago on the Wednesday. They went for a wander and when they got back someone (fucked) was having a dump in their tent. Think he had a miserable time cleaning it up…

There’s going hard on Wednesday afternoon and going hard on Wednesday afternoon! 

Nowhere near as bad, but at the first ever festival I went to (not Glastonbury, a tiny one called Tales of The Jackalope) me and my mate didn't know what we were doing, so we borrowed my mates tall fishing tent and when we got there, pitched it nowhere near most of the other tents. We went to watch some music, then when we popped back we found some people chilling out in our tent as they thought it was a first-aid tent. Which was fair enough on their part tbh.

18 minutes ago, Fish Bulb said:

Nowhere near as bad, but at the first ever festival I went to (not Glastonbury, a tiny one called Tales of The Jackalope) me and my mate didn't know what we were doing, so we borrowed my mates tall fishing tent and when we got there, pitched it nowhere near most of the other tents. We went to watch some music, then when we popped back we found some people chilling out in our tent as they thought it was a first-aid tent. Which was fair enough on their part tbh.

Haha 

I'm still trying to decide where we should camp, I volunteered in 2019, and not been as a punter since 2013. I camped in Oxylers back in 2013, and it was pretty chilled out with plenty of space when we arrived late Wednesday afternoon. Seems it's stock has risen, and is a much more popular place to camp these days.

I think Kidney Mead or Big Ground have the most appeal to me, as I had to walk down Muddy Lane from my crew camp in 2019, and I quite liked coming in at the festival from that direction. But I'm not sure how difficult it will be to find space. And I can't really imagine persuading my crew to arrive super early and get in line.

Is it really get in at 8am or bust, with Big Ground/Kidney Mead? I don't need a view of the Pyramid or anything fancy like that, I just like the location.

1 hour ago, Sku said:

I'm still trying to decide where we should camp, I volunteered in 2019, and not been as a punter since 2013. I camped in Oxylers back in 2013, and it was pretty chilled out with plenty of space when we arrived late Wednesday afternoon. Seems it's stock has risen, and is a much more popular place to camp these days.

I think Kidney Mead or Big Ground have the most appeal to me, as I had to walk down Muddy Lane from my crew camp in 2019, and I quite liked coming in at the festival from that direction. But I'm not sure how difficult it will be to find space. And I can't really imagine persuading my crew to arrive super early and get in line.

Is it really get in at 8am or bust, with Big Ground/Kidney Mead? I don't need a view of the Pyramid or anything fancy like that, I just like the location.

For KM/BG you would need to be through the gates reasonably sharpish - at Gate B you'd probably get away with 9:00am, other gates would need to be a bit earlier based on the extra time it'd take to walk across site.

Remember that although gates officially "open" at 8am, that's not an exact time - odds are it'll be somewhere around 7, so by 8 there's likely an hours worth of overnight queuers on site. And because people will be queueing at the gates, to get through the gate in sufficient time, you'll either need to be queuing from stupid o'clock or arriving on an early coach.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, incident said:

For KM/BG you would need to be through the gates reasonably sharpish - at Gate B you'd probably get away with 9:00am, other gates would need to be a bit earlier based on the extra time it'd take to walk across site.

Remember that although gates officially "open" at 8am, that's not an exact time - odds are it'll be somewhere around 7, so by 8 there's likely an hours worth of overnight queuers on site. And because people will be queueing at the gates, to get through the gate in sufficient time, you'll either need to be queuing from stupid o'clock or arriving on an early coach.

Do any of the gates get noticeably longer or shorter queues? Bit tricky to compare I guess, it's not like you can queue at several different gates at the same time. 😂 

Just now, jimmillen said:

Do any of the gates get noticeably longer or shorter queues? Bit tricky to compare I guess, it's not like you can queue at several different gates at the same time. 😂 

The problem is that it's all anecdotal and varies year by year.

In very general terms I'd expect Gate C to be a bit easier than the other 3 main gates first thing, just because there's fewer car parks feeding in to it - it's mostly Live In fields and those people are less likely to rush through the gates.

We've certainly heard complaints of crazy queues at A, B, and D over the years.

Gate A has opened earlier than any other gate by at least half an hour for the last couple of festivals. I was near the front of the queue in 2019 and managed to trek across the entire site to Pennards without seeing any but a small handful of others.

Edited by kalifire

Kinda related...

I appreciate this probably varies years on year and theres factors like management, traffic work and weather (hello 2016!) but im wondering what we can expect in terms of traffic, gate ques and avaiable fields once on site, if we were to leave North Devon at 4am.

Our last Glastonbury was 2016 and we left Tuesday evening to overnight it. Overnight it we did..... in traffic for 13 hours before being sent the wrong way round once on site and rejoining the que (there were tears from the wife).

Obviously this trauma all melted away once we were in and pitched but its left a little bit of a bad taste about leaving late Tuesday and are now considering the early Wednesday approach.

Appreciate any input you beautiful weirdos x

41 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Gate A has opened earlier than any other gate by at least half an hour for the last couple of festivals. I was near the front of the queue in 2019 and managed to trek across the entire site to Pennards without seeing any but a small handful of others.

My coach usually gets in about 5/6am and we still didn't go any further than Darble in 2017. Looking at photos, our tents were up for 8:15. There's less of us this year so think we're gonna pack light and see if we can get a spot in park home or pennards

5 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Just outside the JP , hopefully similar  this year depending on resale and arrival times .. best toilets onsite nearby , pretty central as I like to return to stock up supplies and change into evening wear 🙂 

Bit of a weird question but just curious - what makes up your festival evening wear? Trousers?

13 hours ago, TheGChild said:

Kinda related...

I appreciate this probably varies years on year and theres factors like management, traffic work and weather (hello 2016!) but im wondering what we can expect in terms of traffic, gate ques and avaiable fields once on site, if we were to leave North Devon at 4am.

Our last Glastonbury was 2016 and we left Tuesday evening to overnight it. Overnight it we did..... in traffic for 13 hours before being sent the wrong way round once on site and rejoining the que (there were tears from the wife).

Obviously this trauma all melted away once we were in and pitched but its left a little bit of a bad taste about leaving late Tuesday and are now considering the early Wednesday approach.

Appreciate any input you beautiful weirdos x

2016 was a cluster fuck due to the mud and associated carnage, unless it’s like that again then that should really have been a one off experience. 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

15 hours ago, incident said:

The problem is that it's all anecdotal and varies year by year.

In very general terms I'd expect Gate C to be a bit easier than the other 3 main gates first thing, just because there's fewer car parks feeding in to it - it's mostly Live In fields and those people are less likely to rush through the gates.

We've certainly heard complaints of crazy queues at A, B, and D over the years.

I’d agree C is usually better, because closest to the gate are the CV fields not car parking, and that’s why B can be very bad with the overnight car parking close by. We did that one year but it wasn’t successful for us as to get in really early you had to join the overnight queue. 

16 hours ago, nikkic said:

Anybody here camp in Baileys? 

Is there usually any space on Thursday afternoon or is it completely Sergio Ramos? 

It will be busy, but there will still be space I'd say, probably a better chance of finding space there than alot of the other fields.  There's also a little overspill field just off Bailey's near the entrance to that field that usually gets opened on the Thursday.

Edited by merago

Got tickets for this year after doing the last few years volunteering, so I have no idea what time which campsites fill up these days! Our group have the coach ticket package, leaving from Manchester on Thursday (so unsure of the departure/arrival time atm). 

Anyone have any ideas where would still have space for either a 6 man tent or potentially 3x 2 man tents on Thurs? 

I assume we can't be too picky with what kind of vibe we're after while arriving that late, but if possible we'd rather be closer to some action/fun vibes! 

Would be good to have an idea of where to walk to with all our gear and get stuck in ASAP rather than walking around with no clue for ages from gate A. 

Cheers!

1 minute ago, SophusBeuford said:

Got tickets for this year after doing the last few years volunteering, so I have no idea what time which campsites fill up these days! Our group have the coach ticket package, leaving from Manchester on Thursday (so unsure of the departure/arrival time atm). 

Anyone have any ideas where would still have space for either a 6 man tent or potentially 3x 2 man tents on Thurs? 

I assume we can't be too picky with what kind of vibe we're after while arriving that late, but if possible we'd rather be closer to some action/fun vibes! 

Would be good to have an idea of where to walk to with all our gear and get stuck in ASAP rather than walking around with no clue for ages from gate A. 

Cheers!

The Gate A fields are fine and will have space. I've stayed in Pylon a couple of times and it has been fine.

Just now, SophusBeuford said:

Cheers!

Just inside Gate a they will be able to tell you which areas are full … I think there is a map there showing this too … as a general rule the outer fields will be the emptier ones so if you need to choose in advance I’d choose one of those 

Just now, SophusBeuford said:

Cheers!

To be blunt about it - given that at best you'll be through the gates Thursday lunchtime, and potentially later - it's going to be a case of going wherever has space.

There's a field out in the suburbs called Back House that in the past has been kept closed until Thursday, so that may be an option, but the best suggestion is that when you go through Gate A, locate the Campsite Crew base that should be there (usually a caravan), and take a look at the map they'll have up showing current density, and ask them where to go.

Then when you get to the field, check back in with the Campsite Crew there, as they'll know where there's sufficient space within their patch.

1 minute ago, Buddy Holly said:

google earth shows there was a bit of space left on Friday 2019

Screenshot (38).png

Top sleuthing!! 

That could be an option then. 

A mate has offered to take our tent, but he’s going to be in the camper van field so would be a big ask to get him to take our tent in and set it up for us.