Where do you camp and why?

blazingstars

On 4/29/2019 at 5:00 PM, Jack.194 said:

Looks like Oxylers it is! Thanks to all those that responded, now I've just got to get my head around the map!

Need be careful. Oxylers is very flat and if it rains heavy it can take on the appearance of a beach with the tide (& liquid mud) washing in and out, particularly at the edges.

9 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Need be careful. Oxylers is very flat and if it rains heavy it can take on the appearance of a beach with the tide (& liquid mud) washing in and out, particularly at the edges.

But it won't rain so no need to fret pet oxlyers is a decent spot ?

I've always approached Oxlyers from Gate D from habit. I started camping there before they expanded the campsites and put a load of crew camping in the way (pretty sure we used to park around where Dairy Ground is and walk through the old dairy. It was a pretty straight run down the railway track then. Having come in from Gate A last time due to getting the coach I agree with Divein it's an easier route from Gate A, down the hill and up through Silver Hayes.

Edited by The_Amazing_Oblong

Me and my girlfriend's first time. We're looking for tips on which campsite would be best for us! We are looking to get some sleep at some point and looking for somewhere slightly quieter? Any ideas and also where would be best to park in relation to this! Any first timer glasto tips welcome!!

On 4/29/2019 at 5:32 PM, Quark said:

Read it carefully, tale it all in, get your head around where the stages are in relation to each other....then rock up, take one look at the place and forget it all in an instant :lol:

You'll have a banging time.

Although I would disagree with @kalifire on one note - we normally camp in Big Ground, and while it's great in terms of being able to watch Pyramid from a chair outside your tent I wouldn't call it the liveliest come night time. More likely to find chilled campfires than raucous shenanigans.  And it can be a bit of a schlep uphill if you want to duck back there between sets to refuel :)

This. I come with a plan and then just blow my beans as soon as I get in and want to get the tent up on the first available piece of grass and go mental. 

18 minutes ago, Jake9502 said:

Me and my girlfriend's first time. We're looking for tips on which campsite would be best for us! We are looking to get some sleep at some point and looking for somewhere slightly quieter? Any ideas and also where would be best to park in relation to this! Any first timer glasto tips welcome!!

Snigger :D

When are you arriving? Can be a bit determined by time of arrival as to where you'll find a space. And is it just the two of you with one tent?

28 minutes ago, Jake9502 said:

Have a look at torts glasto guide where all the campsites are explained and also loads of other tips for newcomers. 

Enjoy the first time ? it will get even better with practice. 

9 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Have a look at torts glasto guide where all the campsites are explained and also loads of other tips for newcomers. 

Enjoy the first time ? it will get even better with practice. 

thanks everyone ? 

Yeah we are sharing a tent for our "first time" ?? I'll give the torts glast guide a look up, were probs arriving Thursday morning, early! 

1 hour ago, Jake9502 said:

thanks everyone ? 

Yeah we are sharing a tent for our "first time" ?? I'll give the torts glast guide a look up, were probs arriving Thursday morning, early! 

The only piece of advice I will say is that you don't get a choice where to park unfortunately as you just get directed wherever there is space and whichever car park the stewards are wanting to fill at that point. 

In regards to where to camp then arriving on Thursday will limit you slightly but one of the outer campsites will be slightly quieter, Bushy Ground or Darble are near Gate D and quiet enough. Alternatively then Pylon etc are closer to Gate A. To be a bit closer then South Park or around that way may still have space. 

2 hours ago, Jake9502 said:

thanks everyone ? 

If there is any chance to arrive on Wednesday then I would go for it. You get settled in , better choice of campsite and gives you longer to explore the enormity of the site. We love the Thursday, its A great day to wake up on site. 

13 hours ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

I've always approached Oxlyers from Gate D from habit. I started camping there before they expanded the campsites and put a load of crew camping in the way (pretty sure we used to park around where Dairy Ground is and walk through the old dairy. It was a pretty straight run down the railway track then. Having come in from Gate A last time due to getting the coach I agree with Divein it's an easier route from Gate A, down the hill and up through Silver Hayes.

What time do you arrive on site and how do you find the queuing at Gate D?

I camp in Oxylers and have never done anything but Gate A. I always think D looks easier from the map but when it comes to decision time at the crossroads, I always end up opting for Gate A as it's what I'm used to

2 minutes ago, mufcok said:

I camp in Oxylers and have never done anything but Gate A. I always think D looks easier from the map but when it comes to decision time at the crossroads, I always end up opting for Gate A as it's what I'm used to

D has been hit and miss for me over years.  Most years arrived at the queues about 5am on the Weds - some times was through the gates by 8.45 sometimes like 2013 was a complete clusterf**k of 4-5 queues merging into one and people climbing down the ditches to jump the queue.. getting in closer to 11.  

Camped in Spring Ground for years until it became disabled camping.  Then moved onto to Hitchen Hill.   Did Lime Kiln in 2007 too when I knew it would be wet so the top of the hill was the place to be.    Since my partner hurt her back we’ve done Worthy View since 2014 so as to avoid lugging the stuff from the car. 

In all my years going to Glasto I’d say the places to avoid are near paths, taps and toilets for obvious reasons.  

9 minutes ago, tumbles said:

D has been hit and miss for me over years.  Most years arrived at the queues about 5am on the Weds - some times was through the gates by 8.45 sometimes like 2013 was a complete clusterf**k of 4-5 queues merging into one and people climbing down the ditches to jump the queue.. getting in closer to 11.  

Yeah that sounds very hit & miss. Touch wood.. I've never had many issues at Gate A, it's fairly well organised

Gate D had an issue in 2016. Remember waiting for ages didn't move until about 9.30 and hearing from other people at gate A that they were already in. 

Not too sure what the issue was heard various rumours from the turnstiles had fallen over to security not turning up on time. 

Tipi's. Largely because of location and the fact we can't face a Wednesday start anymore and by Thursday lunch all good camping for 12 people is gone. It's £190 each but i dont do gigs throughout the year much so its worth it. 

22 minutes ago, mufcok said:

As Tumbles said - hit and miss. It used to be ok. Up to maybe 2007 we always arrived about 8am and started the shuffle in. Since then we still arrive at 8am but it's been static queues and taken longer and longer to get in. There have been a couple of years where I'm convinced the gate opened a bit later than others.

Of course there are more people trying to get in during recent years with additional capacity and it seems everyone aims to get there for gate opening Wednesday which wasn't as much the case some years ago.

41 minutes ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

As Tumbles said - hit and miss. It used to be ok. Up to maybe 2007 we always arrived about 8am and started the shuffle in. Since then we still arrive at 8am but it's been static queues and taken longer and longer to get in. There have been a couple of years where I'm convinced the gate opened a bit later than others.

Of course there are more people trying to get in during recent years with additional capacity and it seems everyone aims to get there for gate opening Wednesday which wasn't as much the case some years ago.

Making me think more of going towards gate A myself now! Then again I've always camped in Hawkwell and now feeling the need for a bit more relaxed quieter space like Darble or Bushy ?‍♂️

52 minutes ago, Cuboid said:

Tipi's. Largely because of location and the fact we can't face a Wednesday start anymore and by Thursday lunch all good camping for 12 people is gone. It's £190 each but i dont do gigs throughout the year much so its worth it. 

Can I ask a question about the tipis that I've always wondered? I would never do it as too expensive but are you all literally sleeping in one room in there? The lack of privacy would very much put me off!

I’m hoping to get a Tipi next year. I’m also hoping to get tickets for the better half (which would be her first Glastonbury) and she’s quite easily overwhelmed so I think the relative space plus location of the tipi field would be ideal for her. As far as I understand it, it’s just an open space with a ground sheet and nowt else.

Edited by kalifire

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I’m hoping to get a Tipi next year. I’m also hoping to get tickets for the better half (which would be her first Glastonbury) and she’s quite easily overwhelmed so I think the relative space plus location of the tipi field would be ideal for her. As far as I understand it, it’s just an open space with a ground sheet and nowt else.

Yeah the location seems the biggest draw for me. And do they have their own showers/loos etc in that field?

I'll always slum it, though, personally. Glastonbury is expensive enough!

17 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Can I ask a question about the tipis that I've always wondered? I would never do it as too expensive but are you all literally sleeping in one room in there? The lack of privacy would very much put me off!

I was assuming that they're either a large family like the Waltons or into free love.