Where do you camp and why?

blazingstars

8 hours ago, incident said:

The precise configuration of gate A (and B,C,D) does change several times a day based on demand. Queueing systems may be put in and taken out as needed. Lanes will be moved, opened, closed, switched directions, or designated staff/first time/reentry only or whatever. But to be honest I don't recognise what you're describing for the Monday at all unless you mean the long path between Darble and the John Peel Stage which is well away from the gate and yeah is there throughout the weekend.

Hmm, studying the map, maybe it's the walk across Pylon ground that's confusing me (I camp in Kidney Mead so end up at Pylon Ground via near the Silver Hayes entrance)- maybe I'm so excited on the Wednesday once I'm through the gate, I black out, don't take any of Pylon Ground in...

Actually, I think what's happening is when I get through gate A, I get to Kidney Mead via turning let, going through Darble > past John Peel stage, where as when leaving I'm so tired and confused, I've been making the wrong turn for the last 16 years and end up next to Silver Hayes entrance > Pylon Ground > gate A, and it's the path across Pylon Ground that feels like it goes on forever.

16 year mystery solved! Thanks!

I like the bottom of Pennards, its convenient for me as it’s close to where I spend most of my festival and I do like a pop back to the tent for a nap or supplies, love the noise and festival sounds too, can be magical sometimes. 

Charm x

On 4/2/2019 at 11:42 AM, JoeyT said:

I now pitch my tent up next to friends who take campers / caravans in the East Campervan Fields.

We all used to camp on the grass opposite to where the beat hotel used to reside. Top webbs ash I think it was called, doesn't seem to be labelled on the map these days.

Must admit moving up to the campervan fields has been a god send. Being able to wake up of a morning and take the festival on at your own speed rather than waking up right in the mixer is great. 

The £5 - £10 save per day due to cooking breakfast rather than buying it is an added bonus.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing this year. Do you arrive with them in their vans or do you arrive separately then join them? Reason I ask is my mate is going Wednesday morning but we won't be able to make it until the evening and I'm not sure we can just stroll into the campervan fields with a tent.

36 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

I'm thinking of doing the same thing this year. Do you arrive with them in their vans or do you arrive separately then join them? Reason I ask is my mate is going Wednesday morning but we won't be able to make it until the evening and I'm not sure we can just stroll into the campervan fields with a tent.

Yes, you can stroll in with a tent. 

Edit: but better to give your tent and gear to your mate to take in their van and you just stroll in with a Day sack 

Edited by caballosblancos

1 hour ago, Dave_c said:

I arrive with them but there won't be an issue if you're looking to arrive separately.

How are you going to be arriving? If by car make sure you head to the festival from a direction that when you arrive you'll be parked on Gate C side of the site. You literally have to walk through the East campercan fields to get to Gate C so you can find the van on your way.

We normally camp in Pennards and love it for similar reasons to @Charm, but this year arriving by coach around 9.30 on the Thursday.... any recommendations for spots over in the south west corner of the site that might be doable.... there'll be two 3 man tents so not a massive crew.

46 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I arrive with them but there won't be an issue if you're looking to arrive separately.

How are you going to be arriving? If by car make sure you head to the festival from a direction that when you arrive you'll be parked on Gate C side of the site. You literally have to walk through the East campercan fields to get to Gate C so you can find the van on your way.

Yes arriving by car. Not sure which campervan site he is in but if it's east then I'll do that, thanks.

52 minutes ago, Kay95 said:

We normally camp in Pennards and love it for similar reasons to @Charm, but this year arriving by coach around 9.30 on the Thursday.... any recommendations for spots over in the south west corner of the site that might be doable.... there'll be two 3 man tents so not a massive crew.

No but I remember a tent pitch up front of us one year on Thursday morning, sometimes it’s worth a walk right in to see if there’s any space, maybe dump your packs at the lock ups first so you can easily search.    

Charm x

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:51 PM, ivan said:

10 times in Big Ground I reckon , quite often inches from where we were before according to my mate

Mainly for the view of the site as you can see virtually all of it and its always amazing to sit by the tent on the first night just as the sun goes down and see all the lights come on.

And when we finish the night at the Stone Circle we get to walk back through most of the site having a bimble on our way back home , which can take us hours due to unplanned stop offs to just watch something interesting !

Even in the bad mud years it never gets too bad where we are as there is not much foot traffic and the water just goes past us down to Pyramid Stage

Bang on with all of these. Generally aim for near the tree in BG as it's such a good marker.  It's also an easy skip through from Muddy Lane to find your tent.  Nothing quite like sitting up there at the end of the day with a fire going, few ciders and a smoke to finish the day while looking at the site. Bliss.

Past few times I've camped in Darble. We get the coach in and usually at gate A before 7am so could really pick somewhere closer to the action, but I hate packing up Monday morning so much that I'd rather not face a massive walk back.

Theres always so much space too, no worrying that someones gonna park their tent right in front of your door. The walk back in the early hours can be a bit of a drag (fingers crossed dry land again this year) but it tires us out for a decent sleep anyway.

This was taken at 8am Wednesday morning in 2017. Masses of space but really couldnt imagine having walked any further with all our stuff in that heat ?

20170621_081804.jpg

Edited by kaytee...

Not wanting to be pessimistic  but does anyone know what Wicket Ground is like in a wet year? Is it prone to flooding? I will be with my 14 and 11 year olds and arriving Thursday by coach from Manchester with a fairly large tent so thinking at that as our most likely option.

But would be good to know if we should think about any other options near Gate A if weather is unkind. Will probably be spending most time in Pyramid, Other and John Peel.

Volunteering this year so no choice and am presuming we will be in that field, alongside the fence, in that corner, just South of Gate C.

Right next to the late night area, when I have a shift at 10:00 or whatever the next morning :(.

And I mean "No Choice". You enter at the bottom of the hill and the stewards basically say, "It gets cramped in this field. We're filling it from the top. Don't leave too much space between tents".

"But my bladders getting on a bit. Please may I camp near the loos near the bottom of the hill", doesn't cut any mustard in my experience, despite the fact that I've never seen the hill/field filled up to the bottom (and no one else would ask to camp near loos surely?).

Well. You did ask :) 

When ticketed I usually aim for Row Mead.

Loads of whys.

Where equals downhill from, but near the loos (but not directly below. You don't want that run off heading your way). There's nostalgia to that. One of the rivers that led to the flash flood of 2005 was just a few feet away from my doorway. I know that they won't let that stream happen again. It's a safe spot now.

Great view. And sound from the main venue. Not far from Gate B (so not as far from the car). Pretty central to the main stages and market drags (= easyish breakfast). I camped near Gate A once (My companions got there early and chose said spot). Sod that. Miles from everything that year it was (before Arcadia and that Car Cinema happened that way).

Downsides to said spot are: I think they are gradually shrinking it year on year. Since The Stones played and they halved it. Big Pyramid crowds may well be leaning on your tent.

If you want whatever your treasured site is these days, you'll need to aim to get in the queue by Tuesday evening these days.

Never mind new areas. Let's open up the camping space again? Maybe?

8 hours ago, Kim Wrong-Un said:

Not wanting to be pessimistic  but does anyone know what Wicket Ground is like in a wet year? Is it prone to flooding? I will be with my 14 and 11 year olds and arriving Thursday by coach from Manchester with a fairly large tent so thinking at that as our most likely option.

But would be good to know if we should think about any other options near Gate A if weather is unkind. Will probably be spending most time in Pyramid, Other and John Peel.

Not camped on Wicket in wet years I've observed pools of standing water in the underlating terrain there. Avoid the dips and you should be ok. Like all Glastonbury, mud is a feature of a wet year and the top of a hill provides best assurance of minimising the effects of water. I have seen and there are plenty of pics around of tents being inundated with deep liquid mud in the flatter popular areas.

Your only issue may be arriving Thursday as this could restrict your choice of campsite. Others have stated Cockmill family area is pretty much full by Wednesday afternoon but I am not sure if or when Wicket reaches or nears capacity. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lycra said:

Not camped on Wicket in wet years I've observed pools of standing water in the underlating terrain there. Avoid the dips and you should be ok. Like all Glastonbury, mud is a feature of a wet year and the top of a hill provides best assurance of minimising the effects of water. I have seen and there are plenty of pics around of tents being inundated with deep liquid mud in the flatter popular areas.

Your only issue may be arriving Thursday as this could restrict your choice of campsite. Others have stated Cockmill family area is pretty much full by Wednesday afternoon but I am not sure if or when Wicket reaches or nears capacity. 

Thank you, good tip to look out for dips.

9 hours ago, MrZigster said:

If you want whatever your treasured site is these days, you'll need to aim to get in the queue by Tuesday evening these days.

Nah that's not true. Only if you want the super busy popular areas like Pennards or Row Mead. My favourite is Bushy these days and we rock up by coach on Wednesday afternoon no problems. Still space on Thursday too.

I actually like the campsites near Ped Gate A. Yes there is a bit of a walk home but the pay off is more space and much quieter so a decent night sleep. Nicer loos too in my experience.

Sod queuing from Tuesday evening! But then I've never come by car. We used to camp in Park Home but you could get a spot there if you were in the gate A queue by 7ish then. As I say though too busy and noisy for me now.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

On 4/5/2019 at 9:16 AM, Kay95 said:

Bailey's and South Park will have room but the best for Thursday arrivals is the green oasis that is Back House tucked between Baileys & Dairy.

This is only opened on Thursday morning and is hidden on all sides by hedges. No through traffic so guaranteed grass even in a muddy one.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 8:47 AM, JoeyT said:

On 4/5/2019 at 7:18 AM, Dave_c said:

Make sure you know whether it’s east or west ( or in the case of larger campervans Bath and West!) if it’s East you want Blue parking and if West you want the West car parks ( pink/orange?) 

also there are several 5 or 6  large campervan fields - the chances of finding your mates van by wandering through are nil especially if it’s dark.  Ask them to meet you somewhere by the field number sign or something easily identifiable in the right field! You could be wandering about for hours like we did once trying to find “a blue VW camper” ! If you have a location share app on your phone try that. Also make sure your mates know what time you are arriving if it’s the evening- they Are likely to be in the festival site enjoying themselves and be about an hour from their van when you arrive or you may not get through to them.  If you are arriving by coach and they are in East then you have to go into the festival site and walk right across it to get out the other side to get up to the campervan fields - this could also take some time. So best to meet on site somewhere in that case ( meeting point at Williams Green/ under the pyramid tree etc) and get them to help you with any stuff back to the van. Best option is to give them all your stuff to take with them and to pitch your tents and you just come with a small back pack and meet them on site - couple of beers/ciders and you are good to go to join in the party. 

1 hour ago, sedra said:

Make sure you know whether it’s east or west ( or in the case of larger campervans Bath and West!) if it’s East you want Blue parking and if West you want the West car parks ( pink/orange?) 

also there are several 5 or 6  large campervan fields - the chances of finding your mates van by wandering through are nil especially if it’s dark.  Ask them to meet you somewhere by the field number sign or something easily identifiable in the right field! You could be wandering about for hours like we did once trying to find “a blue VW camper” ! If you have a location share app on your phone try that. Also make sure your mates know what time you are arriving if it’s the evening- they Are likely to be in the festival site enjoying themselves and be about an hour from their van when you arrive or you may not get through to them.  If you are arriving by coach and they are in East then you have to go into the festival site and walk right across it to get out the other side to get up to the campervan fields - this could also take some time. So best to meet on site somewhere in that case ( meeting point at Williams Green/ under the pyramid tree etc) and get them to help you with any stuff back to the van. Best option is to give them all your stuff to take with them and to pitch your tents and you just come with a small back pack and meet them on site - couple of beers/ciders and you are good to go to join in the party. 

Good advice, thanks for the tips. 

On 4/7/2019 at 11:57 AM, Fishman said:

Bailey's and South Park will have room but the best for Thursday arrivals is the green oasis that is Back House tucked between Baileys & Dairy. This is only opened on Thursday morning and is hidden on all sides by hedges. No through traffic so guaranteed grass even in a muddy one.

This picture from the satellite pic thread shows Back House in all it's glory for those Thursday arrivals. Handy for Gate D and closer to the naughty corner than the outer reaches up by Gate A.

Satellite Picture 2014 Back House.jpg

At the top of Michael's Mead, usually get to the spot around 11am on the Wednesday and there is still plenty of space up there, starts filling up by about 1pm tho.  It's nice and quiet and has a great view of the festival.  There's a hill up to it so you don't want to be carrying all your stuff at once, I usually make 2 or 3 trips to and from the car, although I don't mind the walk.

I'm still hoping I'll taking up my usual camping spot this year!