New security measures in place

brettredmayne

6 minutes ago, Keithy said:

I think the unfortunate side effect of this will be even more people turning up earlier. Like last years weather related announcement to not set off if you hadn't already had the effect of people leaving earlier knowing there would be chaos, this year everyone will assume the queues are going to be bigger than normal and therefore 'the earlier you get there, the better' mentality.

They are going to be searching for knives. It is still very very hard to purchase any sort of explosive material and even harder to purchase an automatic weapon, aside from the fact that it would be very hard to smuggle an automatic weapon into Glastonbury. London showed the danger posed by nutters with simple weapons and these searches are a necessary consequence.

The security teams are not going to be making you open every little tin and container. At worst it will be empty your bag on a table, ask you to declare sharp objects and a pat down of everything.

I don't _quite_ get the point of this if so. Most (if not all) of the food stalls will need knives. My fave jerk stall uses a whacking great cleaver to chop up my chicken. Are they all submitting plans on how their knives won't be stolen or otherwise misused?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to we r fstvl a couple of weekends ago on a day ticket and it was bloody horrific. The queues was about an hour long, they were holding people back against three separate gates and gradually letting people through in dribs and drabs so they could then queue again to get their ticket checked. The crowd where just as bad as the security guards, pushing forward against the barriers trying to open them while the security guards pushed back against them. The security guards were screaming at the crowd and viva versa. I saw one girl mouth off to them so they ripped her ticket up in front of her. I can't imagine for a second the crowd or the security at Glastonbury will be remotely like this but it was all together horrible experience.

26 minutes ago, Ashl said:

They were also convinced we were drug dealers based on the number of times they asked us are you dealing drugs, maybe drug dealers have organised packing and a trolley to get through the mud, who knows!

I wonder if anyone ever answers yes when asked this...

They need to be opening the cv fields earlier this year to get everyone in before the car traffic starts.i don't know what the cv searches are normally like but we have to expect them to be more in depth this year.

all the added security must be adding a big cost to the festival, it will be a huge inconvenience to punters but I suspect the real losers will be the charities or may end up with smaller donations this year

19 minutes ago, ogriff said:

I don't _quite_ get the point of this if so. Most (if not all) of the food stalls will need knives. My fave jerk stall uses a whacking great cleaver to chop up my chicken. Are they all submitting plans on how their knives won't be stolen or otherwise misused?

I think it's a lot less likely a potential attacker would go to the elaborate lengths of getting a job at one of the food stalls or banking on their ability to steal a knife at an opportune moment. 

That said, I'm not personally worried about potential attackers either way. There's much softer targets than Glasto. But it's also true that the risk level of someone using a knife from the food stall is a lot less than someone just bringing one in. So these measures have some logic to them. 

In reality you are not going to get in quicker with a lighter load unless everyone has a lighter load, which they won't. There is only so many ways to filter queues. On that basis I'm sure most will go with the mentality that it's better to queue for ages with everything once, than queue for ages multiple times.

32 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

They will have dogs I reckon. Dugs + drugs = banned entry :(

As the exasperated ned next to me on the way in to Rock Ness with a heavy canine presence said. "I thought this was a music festival not fucking crufts."

Edited by mcshed

Isn't it better to carry less the first time through (i.e. tent and rucksack with a few cans in to get you through the first few hours and maybe your bbq / food and then return to your car for second or third trips for the rest of your gear?  That way it means the initlal queues will be more manageable and the flow of people will be more balanced over the whole day? Just a thought.

31 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

They will have dogs I reckon. Dugs + drugs = banned entry :(

If this worked Boomtown would be a very different festival.

If they're AT ALL smart they'll be purely explosives dogs so they don't wear out in moments.

It's a difficult one for the organiser's, I'm pretty sure Glastonbury will have recieved advice from the authorities. I am also sure that that advice will allow for common sense on the part of the search staff. 

The key for everyone in making this work, is to take note of the advance notice. Pack in a manageable way and above all be patient on the way in. Be considerate of fellow festival goers and remember why the festival have had to introduce these measures. Bare in mind once you are in you have five days of fun ahead of you, I've spent enough time in traffic queues before to be rather sanguine about this these days.

32 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I've got the Stone Roses the weekend before which I would say sadly is a far far more likley target. I expect the queues to get in there will be immense.

You and me both. We queued for ages at the Etihad; Wembley is probably going to be another level. Gotta be done though.