2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

39 minutes ago, Jupperrs said:

Have been thinking about the headliners over the weekend.. and sparked a conversation with some of my friends, wonder what people think.

It seems like a lot of festivals are having pretty fallow years, and we were wondering if it’s due to the state of modern music. The UK charts are almost exclusively filled with grime/hip hop/rap acts + a few mega pop acts (Ariana Grande etc) 

It seems that music isn’t really producing festival style acts at the moment, and the ones that could do festivals wouldn’t really “fit in” at Glastonbury/ other “rock” festivals.

On top of this, I get the sense that even the pop/ RnB acts that are coming through at the moment don’t really seem to have a massive drive to play glasto. Perhaps the American ones now see coachella as an easier alternative.

Do we think Glasto needs to embrace the change a little? Previous mentions of Post-Malone etc made me think... he’s an artist who’s had critical success, as well as a very successful album, yet if he were to even sub glasto would probably receive great backlash... 

Unless the festival embraces modern style of music surely we’re going to have some fallow years to follow also?

There’s no festival in the world that has as diverse a range of musical styles on offer that Glastonbury does.

Also Post Malone can fuck right off. 

Edited by Rubber Soldier

1 hour ago, Jupperrs said:

Have been thinking about the headliners over the weekend.. and sparked a conversation with some of my friends, wonder what people think.

It seems like a lot of festivals are having pretty fallow years, and we were wondering if it’s due to the state of modern music. The UK charts are almost exclusively filled with grime/hip hop/rap acts + a few mega pop acts (Ariana Grande etc) 

It seems that music isn’t really producing festival style acts at the moment, and the ones that could do festivals wouldn’t really “fit in” at Glastonbury/ other “rock” festivals.

On top of this, I get the sense that even the pop/ RnB acts that are coming through at the moment don’t really seem to have a massive drive to play glasto. Perhaps the American ones now see coachella as an easier alternative.

Do we think Glasto needs to embrace the change a little? Previous mentions of Post-Malone etc made me think... he’s an artist who’s had critical success, as well as a very successful album, yet if he were to even sub glasto would probably receive great backlash... 

Unless the festival embraces modern style of music surely we’re going to have some fallow years to follow also?

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Post Malone can fuck so far off...

1 hour ago, Rubber Soldier said:

1 hour ago, briddj said:

Another vote here for Post Malone to fuck off.

dont worry, this isnt the booking committe... just grumpy people with computers.

He is spectacularly shocking mind.. but thats ok, i can just fuck off to another stage.... 

2 hours ago, Jupperrs said:

The way I see it is pop music etc has dominated the charts for years however festival goers don't tend to be pop lovers. Yeah there's crossover but V festival went down the route you're suggesting and look what happened there and to be fair Glastonbury does book it's fair share of chart toppers from all music genres and some even headline. It's about getting a good mix.

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Post Malone can fuck so far off...

3 hours ago, Rubber Soldier said:

3 hours ago, briddj said:

Another vote here for Post Malone to fuck off.

To add insult to the injury that his musical outputs cause, I just stumbled upon this gem:

"According to Post, he chose "Post Malone" as his stage name when he was 14 or 15. The name was rumored to be a reference to the professional basketball player Karl Malone, but Post later explained that while "Post" is his last name, he used a "rap name generator" to get "Malone"."

Given how much we have been scraping the barrel Calvin Harris probably isn’t that bad a shout.i’d be nowhere near him but he does seem very popular. Wonder what reaction/crowd he would get at Glastonbury..?

There are reasons why he may be less likely but then there are for the strokes and killers who have been heavily discussed.