2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

33 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but there's a smell of lame pretentiousness coming from some people.

I feel bad now though after seeing your picture ahah. I hope you get which Rick and Morty fans I was on about.

Hahaha no I was just joshing. I know exactly the kind you're talking about. 

The "If you don't like it it's because you're not intelligent enough to understand it" kind of pretension is something I'm familiar with being both a Radiohead and Rick and Morty fan. Comes with the territory it seems!

45 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'm slowly coming round to the idea of a Killers headline set, been at least a decade since I last saw them and with the right level of intoxication it could be fun.

It's certainly a solid backup option if nothing else floats my boat that night.

I’d agree with that. Stormzy is the surprise/risky booking and the killers would be the solid mainstream booking, a wide appeal and unless there is a clash I will be there. As you say, a few bevvies and a party, what’s not to like? 

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Doubt it would put her in the frame for this year.

Nah potentially not. But it was accepted she was inactive this year after touring rep. However it seems like a new album or new music is coming sooner than we think.

I wonder how this board would react if it was Stormzy, The Killers, Taylor Swift and the Cure was a dud

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

She'd need to stand up a pared-back touring show in short order.  Her touring show last year was too big for the Pymild.

Yeah that was part of the larger tour though. When she did Big Weekend etc she didn’t bring a big stage show at all.

I'm not for a second saying that she’s a serious contender. But after Ed’s 2017 show she has to know what Glastonbury is now... and the importance of doing it in the U.K. 

Just now, Matt42 said:

Yeah that was part of the larger tour though. When she did Big Weekend etc she didn’t bring a big stage show at all.

I'm not for a second saying that she’s a serious contender. But after Ed’s 2017 show she has to know what Glastonbury is now... and the importance of doing it in the U.K. 

She will know what it is, but she doesn’t seem to want to do those type shows because it limits her own show. Even those R1BW and Jingle Ball shows are twenty minutes with, as you say, minimal stage show.

17 minutes ago, Fishman said:

Yeah - totally agree. And I love the fact I walk past the teenager's rooms grumbling about the shite music coming out. It's part of what being a Dad is about. 

But do have a listen to PM though.

Just listened.  I don't like him much, which is as it should be.  Sounds like he'd be a decent Other headliner though., with that bass heavy sound.

21 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

She only played six songs at Big Weekend though plus you have to factor in that it was for BBC. I think some people also oversell 'the importance' of Glastonbury to many artists. Some will dig it and get the vibe, some will see no difference to any other festival. As for Ed, if you want to bring him into the mix, he's gone on record saying Tay Tay won't play Glastonbury.

Edited by jyoung

3 minutes ago, Livvy13 said:

That was a quote from back in 2014 or something ridiculous and even Taylor said she wouldn't do festivals back then. 

But look at this list of festival shows she has played and bear in mind she could have headlined any major festival in the world, every year since 2012... Obviously it doesn't make it impossible but I think it makes it highly unlikely. Of course people will throw her name into the mix and suggest it's possible though. Believe me, I'd love it to happen.

Screenshot (43).png

15 minutes ago, jyoung said:

But look at this list of festival shows she has played and bear in mind she could have headlined any major festival in the world, every year since 2012... Obviously it doesn't make it impossible but I think it makes it highly unlikely. Of course people will throw her name into the mix and suggest it's possible though. Believe me, I'd love it to happen.

Screenshot (43).png

Very true and the last 2 on that list were both part of the tour. BST was her only UK date in 2015. 

She played mid-afternoon at V and only done a handful of songs

I remember watching (on TV) Taylor Swift at the V Festival a few years ago.  Even back then it seemed surprising she had such a low billing.

Her performance felt really stripped down and kind of unimpressive.  I'm not particularly familiar with her stage show, but I'd hope a headlining set would have a lot more going on.  Unless she plays a lower slot like she did at V.  But why would she bother doing that?