2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

Sadly I think the time has came and went for Queens to headline Glastonbury. 

Its harder to break into the first team when you’re 34 than it is at 17. I think Foals aren’t far off falling into this category too.

You're thinking to yourself ‘they’re one big album off headlining the thing’ next album and singles come and go and it just pushes them away further and further with each attempt to break the mould.

Like it or not but 1975 and Catfish are the young up and coming tricky wingers making a name for themselves in the premier league, there’s much more chance and reason to give them the boost whilst their upwards trajectory is still on the rise. 

5 minutes ago, StevieGed said:

Sadly I think the time has came and went for Queens to headline Glastonbury. 

Its harder to break into the first team when you’re 34 than it is at 17. I think Foals aren’t far off falling into this category too.

You're thinking to yourself ‘they’re one big album off headlining the thing’ next album and singles come and go and it just pushes them away further and further with each attempt to break the mould.

Like it or not but 1975 and Catfish are the young up and coming tricky wingers making a name for themselves in the premier league, there’s much more chance and reason to give them the boost whilst their upwards trajectory is still on the rise. 

Let’s hope they are like Gael Kakuta...

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Need to agree to disagree on that one bud.  It's why the world and his dog seemed to watch Dolly Parton, but no one seemed to give a fiddlers about Kasabian playing a few hours later.

Dolly Parton got the biggest crowd I have ever seen at Glastonbury, it was close to, if not, more than The Stones got and I walked round the top of Kasabian and the crowd was pretty big I thought. As @ghostdancer1 said, The Killers headlining Glastonbury is exactly what you're average Glastonbury punter wants, as do those watching at home.

A lot of people on here seem to get caught up in the notion that they and people who post on this forum are your average Glastonbury punter and they judge everyone else by their own tastes, when unfortunately that is no longer the case when it comes to Glastonbury. 

Hence why The Killers are back headlining and not Nick Cave.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Divein said:

A lot of people on here seem to get caught up in the notion that they and people who post on this forum are your average Glastonbury punter and they judge everyone else by their own tastes, when unfortunately that is no longer the case when it comes to Glastonbury. 

People on a dedicated Internet forum misjudging what the average person thinks? Na, I'm not having that for a second! 

• Upvote 1

QOTSA shows are very loose and all depend what mood Homme is in. They don't have structured shows and big productions like most big bands. Hence why they're a risk. Have seen some great great QOTSA shows and some shite shite QOTSA shows over the years. 

You never know if Homme is going to be all positive and nail it or just roll out the "you work for me" security guard shtick and kick a photographer in the face. 

27 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

your average Glastonbury on the BBC viewer doesn't go to festivals, doesn't like camping, doesn't like mud, doesn't know what a longdrop is, doesn't want to go to the toilet in a portaloo after that smelly one at the outdoor P!nk gig they went to 8 years ago, doesn't give a fuck about stages in tents let alone anywhere else.

they flick around the BBC after Ant&Dec or Celebrity Jungle Dancing on Ice or whatever other shite is on on Saturday night, and want to see Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, The Killers, Adele, Dua Lipa, or some other mainstream stuff that they recognise from the radio.

they certainly don't give a shite about anyone with "mystique" or a rare festival booking. The have no clue how often The Killers play festivals. They've never heard of TRNSMT or Latitude or almost any festival that gets discussed on here.

I'd say 95% of armchair viewers want to see The Killers over Kate Bush ("what's this weird old woman shit?  flick over to Graeme Norton. pass me the Dominos" etc)

Totally agree, I know loads of people who always say to me why do I go to glasto, with the mud, the queues, camping etc etc. They would rather just watch it on telly. I get fed up trying to explain the ethos of the festival, the sense of belonging and the euphoria we get, never mind the intense excitement of the build up. They just don’t get it. So the headliners are basically what the armchair viewers judge the festival by.  Good for them, all the better chance of tickets for the rest of us. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Fine. There's a huge audience sitting at home curious to see what The Killers will come up with.

That's the point though, they don't (generally). They don't give a toss about what they come up with, whether it's rare or edgy or pushes the boundaries. Chances are they flicked through the Radio Times over their cornflakes and earmarked it for later viewing. They just want the 'hits'. 

I'm no advocate for either The Killers or The Cure's booking if that's what we get, but with the former I can at least understand it from a booking perspective. Generally popular to most attending, generally watchable to those at home. Safe booking and that's it. 

49 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

your average Glastonbury on the BBC viewer doesn't go to festivals, doesn't like camping, doesn't like mud, doesn't know what a longdrop is, doesn't want to go to the toilet in a portaloo after that smelly one at the outdoor P!nk gig they went to 8 years ago, doesn't give a fuck about stages in tents let alone anywhere else.

they flick around the BBC after Ant&Dec or Celebrity Jungle Dancing on Ice or whatever other shite is on on Saturday night, and want to see Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, The Killers, Adele, Dua Lipa, or some other mainstream stuff that they recognise from the radio.

they certainly don't give a shite about anyone with "mystique" or a rare festival booking. The have no clue how often The Killers play festivals. They've never heard of TRNSMT or Latitude or almost any festival that gets discussed on here.

I'd say 95% of armchair viewers want to see The Killers over Kate Bush ("what's this weird old woman shit?  flick over to Graeme Norton. pass me the Dominos" etc)

100% correct and the point I was trying to make earlier (although you made the point a million times better than I did)

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'm slowly coming round to the idea of a Killers headline set, been at least a decade since I last saw them and with the right level of intoxication it could be fun.

It's certainly a solid backup option if nothing else floats my boat that night.

Couple man called them a backup option.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'm slowly coming round to the idea of a Killers headline set, been at least a decade since I last saw them and with the right level of intoxication it could be fun.

It's certainly a solid backup option if nothing else floats my boat that night.

I am of a similar opinon... but not because I havent seen them for a decade... somehow I have managed to see them about 5 times over the last decade without even trying or wanting to.

But as you say they are not awful and they are entertaining with big sing along songs. Great when your pissed. 

59 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

On what evidence are you coming up with such findings? I know loads of people who no longer, or just don’t, go to Glastonbury but do regularly attend other festivals. They know their music, and choose what to watch like anyone actually there.

Just now, henry bear said:

On what evidence are you coming up with such findings? I know loads of people who no longer, or just don’t, go to Glastonbury but do regularly attend other festivals. They know their music, and choose what to watch like anyone actually there.

He is generalising obviously but I know tons of people who watch Glasto on BBC and have never been to a festival and cant stand camping. They get millions of viewers so its probably quite safe to say thats a shit ton of people who dont got to festivals..? Devils advocate here ha 

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I've not even heard Post Malone yet, but I'm fairly convinced that output that oldies don't even recognise as music is exactly what should be going on, rather than #wrongezra blandness.

Yeah - totally agree. And I love the fact I walk past the teenager's rooms grumbling about the shite music coming out. It's part of what being a Dad is about. 

But do have a listen to PM though.