2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

4 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

In a fight to the death? 

I don't like the killer lads, not edgy enough and don't love up to their name really. Not asking to be actual killers but killing a tune would be a bonus. I don't know what a post malone is. So I'm obviously old and confused. Not sure if I'm ready for Acoustic tent and ale yet but teetering on the edge. Oh woes. 

9 hours ago, nysmaw said:

To add insult to the injury that his musical outputs cause, I just stumbled upon this gem:

"According to Post, he chose "Post Malone" as his stage name when he was 14 or 15. The name was rumored to be a reference to the professional basketball player Karl Malone, but Post later explained that while "Post" is his last name, he used a "rap name generator" to get "Malone"."

I mean, I don't know about anyone else, but I find the fact that he actually admitted to this to be hilarious and kind of endearing :lol:

7 hours ago, Jupperrs said:

I like the Killers a lot, but it does just irk me that a band can play a (successful) set on a smaller stage in 2017, and then be bumped to headliners simply because there’s nobody else..

Ok, I'll bite. The Killers were a headliner sized band playing a secret set on a small stage. Even as I'm typing this I don't know why I'm bothering but I can't help myself. It's not like they were a normal, mid afternoon John Peel sized act who did well and are now back to headline the Pyramid. I'm still banging on. Though if they were and they packed the stage like they did and get the plaudits The Killers got, maybe bumping them up to headliners wouldn't be such a bad idea. I feel ill.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Ok, I'll bite. The Killers were a headliner sized band playing a secret set on a small stage. Even as I'm typing this I don't know why I'm bothering but I can't help myself. It's not like they were a normal, mid afternoon John Peel sized act who did well and are now back to headline the Pyramid. I'm still banging on. Though if they were and they packed the stage like they did and get the plaudits The Killers got, maybe bumping them up to headliners wouldn't be such a bad idea. I feel ill.

Exactly and it may have even been the agreement that if they came and did it they’d be given a headline spot for the next festival. 

Of the 3 rumoured headliners the Killers will get the biggest crowd and will go down the best for the TV audience.

i love them though so maybe I’m slightly biased

9 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Yup, I don't get personally what the difference is between The Killers playing a secret set and then headlining the Pyramid and Radiohead headlining the Pyramid after a secret Park set?, Biffy have been mentioned previous and Pulp to headline who both did secret Park sets. A secret set on a smaller stage doesn't determine the placing for a proper set at the fest.

I disagree that the Killers will be of much interest to the armchair viewer.  I suspect that  someone who doesn't often play festivals or has a bit of mystique about them would appeal more to the casual viewer than an ubiquitous act that the average fest punter can barely move 10 yards without bumping into.  They're inextricably tied to their era without having the sort of storied career or discography that would see them gradually morph into a heritage act. They're a nostalgia act for people too young to be nostalgic.  They're as shallow as a puddle and so will be their set.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

Couldn't access these boards for a good few minutes as it was displaying a holding 'upgrade' page. Got myself all excited that for no real reason at all that meant it was a stand by your beds moment. Even checked the bloody Glasto website. Alas, no announcement. As you were. 

That you Liam? 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I disagree that the Killers will be of much interest to the armchair viewer.  I suspect that  someone who doesn't often play festivals or has a bit of mystique about them would appeal more to the casual viewer than an ubiquitous act that the average fest punter can barely move 10 yards without bumping into.  They're inextricably tied to their era without having the sort of storied career or discography that would see them gradually morph into a heritage act. They're a nostalgia act for people too young to be nostalgic.  They're as shallow as a puddle and so will be their set.

Yep. No element of surprise. No ‘will they/won’t they’. No setlist quandaries. No exclusivity. No rarity. No controversy. Just The Killers doing what The Killers have done for fifteen years now, which is just... fine. I’m sure my mum will enjoy watching it and telling me how great it looked and how stupid I am for not going to see them.

12 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Though to be fair it would be fucking hilarious if they didn't do their one big song.

At some of their dates last year they actually opened with Mr Brightside, which is a fairly bold move. 

(For example: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-killers/2018/sittertobel-st-gallen-switzerland-23ea04db.html ) 

The Killers are a headline sized band, that shouldn't even be questioned. It just seems like a very dull booking in 2019, especially given the secret set last time. I guess big headliners are a bit thin on the ground at the moment though. It would make a bit more sense if it turns out they were talking to Macca and then turned to The Killers. If they've always been lined up as first choice it's a bit of a head scratcher 

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Yup, I don't get personally what the difference is between The Killers playing a secret set and then headlining the Pyramid and Radiohead headlining the Pyramid after a secret Park set?, Biffy have been mentioned previous and Pulp to headline who both did secret Park sets. A secret set on a smaller stage doesn't determine the placing for a proper set at the fest.

Not in the next festival they didn't. We've had two bumped up this time.