Elton John: Will You Be There?

Hutchmaster

Elton John: Will You Be There?  

538 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be at the Pyramid for Elton John's Headline Performance?

• 100%: He's a must see!
    • Very, very likely: would take a lot to sway me away
    • On the fence: Wouldn't mind seeing him, but will assess options on other stages.
    • Unlikely: Might go if my crew goes/nothing else takes my fancy, but not too fussed
    • Not a chance: Will definitely be elsewhere

1 hour ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Sir Paul honestly sounded fine on the telly. However, I've never heard anyone in my whole life miss the high notes by as much as Diana Ross (all respect to her, she is a legend) and yet all you lot said it was an insane party in the field. Elton will be fine.

In the field you couldn’t really hear her, at least where I was stood anyway. That may have been by design. I think Elton’s voice is in slightly better nick. People on here said Macca’s voice was shot before last year but he sounded middling to good imo. 

My group are really up for this, probably the most excited I've been for a headliner since the Stones in 2013. Setlist looks good, couldn't stand his eighties stuff when I was a kid and his music was never played in our house. Cameron Crowe was definitely my introduction to Elton, I'd never heard Tiny Dancer before Almost Famous (one of my favourite films) and then discovered how awesome his material from the Seventies was.

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I’ll be there with feathers on …. Hat updates have started … outfit ordered … this will be my most looked forward too since REM. …. Please don’t clash with prodigy though 

4B38E81B-4DBF-46E8-B670-C17BF5642A4D.jpeg

Nice spreadsheet you've got open there 😉 

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I wasn't really, it was mainly an excuse to post that clip, because it was the most joyful thing to come out of the pandemic.  I absolutely love it. But there is a serious point - is the performance actually going to be any good or not? I know there's going to be crowd and all that, but it does matter whether the actual show is good or not.  Obviously, the clip I posted isn't representative, any more than digging out an old clip of Macca struggling with Maybe I'm Amazed is. 

I'll check out the Disney video, although I wouldn't be surprised if it included pitch "assistance". 

The other point is that although his 70s catalogue is untouchable, the rest of his career - not so much.  I expect I'll probably be there all things considered. 

Honestly, the Dill Danding video is hilarious but also, like, the only thing wrong with his voice is he's not able to enunciate all the words right. Which in a solo piano video is embarrassingly obvious - but he's also hitting all the notes and sounds recognisably as Elton John. Which at his age is pretty good going. I'd argue the voice as a whole is in better shape than Macca's, it's just the enunciation on the fast songs that suffers.

This video is good - go to 11:30 for a great version of Tiny Dancer - you can hear the occasional issue with enunciation but it's brilliant. Then skip ahead to 44:45 to see him struggle with I'm Still Standing. Not as bad as the other video, but it's clear he's not great on that one. But it's the same performance so no question of if he was feeling better for one or the other or if one has been pitched-corrected or whatever. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Honestly, the Dill Danding video is hilarious but also, like, the only thing wrong with his voice is he's not able to enunciate all the words right. Which in a solo piano video is embarrassingly obvious - but he's also hitting all the notes and sounds recognisably as Elton John. Which at his age is pretty good going. I'd argue the voice as a whole is in better shape than Macca's, it's just the enunciation on the fast songs that suffers.

This video is good - go to 11:30 for a great version of Tiny Dancer - you can hear the occasional issue with enunciation but it's brilliant. Then skip ahead to 44:45 to see him struggle with I'm Still Standing. Not as bad as the other video, but it's clear he's not great on that one. But it's the same performance so no question of if he was feeling better for one or the other or if one has been pitched-corrected or whatever. 

And just to add to that, the Pyramid crowd are going to be belting out I'm Still Standing at a deafening volume anyway to be honest!

2 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Spot on

I'm Still Standing/Saturday Night's Alright/Crocdile Rock are real workouts to sing whatever age, let alone at 75

3 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I know a fair few people who have seen Elton recently and not heard any complaints about his voice and many are Glasto goers who say they'll go and see him again at Glastonbury so that's a pretty good endorsement for me. 

I saw him earlier this year in Brooklyn and he was fantastic.  the set is SOLID hits all the way through, and only when you leave you think about all the hits he didnt even have time to play.  Its a 2 hour show and he doesnt even play any of the lion king songs, for christ's sake (i'm ok with that, but it just goes to show how many hits the man has).  

I'll definitely be watching again, for the inevitable special guests, and for what will surely be an emotional night for him 

• Like 1