The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Just back from a camping trip to the Lake District, despite the lovely weather there’s plenty water there😉

AE892BE5-0DB4-4F3F-B89F-7FCF37D0C9B2.thumb.jpeg.67c751b1880b89e3ee363141b5e4edf7.jpeg

Useless fact alert did you know the lake district has more peaks and the peak district has more lakes. I can't even remember where I learned this fact but it has always stayed with me. Both beautiful places to visit though. 

• Upvote 2

it rained, and it rained well here... Not particularly heavy, but it was actual rain, and was sustained for a good long time from 4pm. Looks like we had some over night too, but everything is drying up again now. 

We're off to watch Coldplay tonight (I know I know, you all HATE them, but missus loves them, and I quite like them too, so stick it!) thinking of taking my reusable glasto poncho. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Useless fact alert did you know the lake district has more peaks and the peak district has more lakes. I can't even remember where I learned this fact but it has always stayed with me. Both beautiful places to visit though. 

The lakes in the lakes are bigger though, aren't they? I mean, they have Windermere, biggest in England. 

12 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

it rained, and it rained well here... Not particularly heavy, but it was actual rain, and was sustained for a good long time from 4pm. Looks like we had some over night too, but everything is drying up again now. 

We're off to watch Coldplay tonight (I know I know, you all HATE them, but missus loves them, and I quite like them too, so stick it!) thinking of taking my reusable glasto poncho. 

Confession time, we’re off to see Coldplay next week, I’ve the same excuse, mrs C is a fan😊

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

The lakes in the lakes are bigger though, aren't they? I mean, they have Windermere, biggest in England. 

Possibly this was just the number of them. The book I read it in did have the figures but I didn't manage to commit them to memory!

16 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

That sounds like one of those facts that geography teachers love. Just like the Great Lakes of Canada, Some men hate eating oranges

superior, Michigan, Huron, Eyrie, Ontario.

5 hours ago, gigpusher said:

only one lake in the lake district, Bassenthwaite ...the rest are merely meres.

9 hours ago, Alvoram said:

My coldplay gig escaped the rain last night. Incredible show 

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

My coldplay gig escaped the rain last night. Incredible show 

Threw it down tonight, right up until the support act, then dried up. We had already been in it for a while by then though. Thankfully took my poncho 😉 

On 7/14/2022 at 8:04 PM, Alvoram said:

We need to get out of the attitude of thinking of the UK as mild climate. Other countries hit 30s / 40s regularly and do just fine. Problem is, we’re just not setup for it. 

I bought aircon for our home 5 years ago, was told it was pointless by friends, but it’s been a god send with the dogs and cost me less than £400 per room.

Just been quoted £1200 per room a few months ago!!! 

Just going back to this....I've been looking at getting air con installed over the winter sometime/early next year ready for next summer. 

Probably only our bedroom and lounge/dining room needs doing but the prices are eye watering....a one room install with BOXT is nearly £3,000!

Any suggestions for anywhere cheaper?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2022 at 10:05 AM, DeanoL said:

Not cheaper but I think you can get an air source heat pump that'll do heating/hot water and also cooling in the summer. There's some government grants available too. More costly in the short term but the energy savings will eventually pay for itself.

And that return on investment will be much faster in the current environment.

• 2 months later...