The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

I remember 2011 being far worse than 2016 - set up the tent in the rain.  pelting rain during U2.  couldnt even walk through the tunnels in shangri la.  In 2016 there was a lot of mud, but I wasn't nearly as fussed by it.  

Anyway. 

which forecast model ended up being the most accurate?  I went back about 40 pages on the 2022 thread and it seems like MeteoGroup were the first to report what ended up being accurate.  

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

For the record... I love this weather. Cold, Im not too hot. Dry. Sunny. 

Bliss

so do I ... (shame about the heating bills)dont fancy scraping the ice from my tent either , I also love  warm summers and sunshine at Glastonbury too 

Edited by Crazyfool01

On 11/8/2022 at 12:08 AM, Olshansky said:

I remember 2011 being far worse than 2016

Weather wise, 2011 had much heavier rain over the festival but I remember it being relatively dry and firm underfoot by the sunday.

2016's weather wasn't that bad during the festival, just the ground conditions were pretty awful. It seemed that every day when the ground had started to dry and firm up a bit there'd be a little shower that put it back to square one.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BambooShanks said:

Weather wise, 2011 had much heavier rain over the festival but I remember it being relatively dry and firm underfoot by the sunday.

2016's weather wasn't that bad during the festival, just the ground conditions were pretty awful. It seemed that every day when the ground had started to dry and firm up a bit there'd be a little shower that put it back to square one.

As the mud began to dry it just became thicker and conditions became ideal for swallowing wellies. The pre festival rain combined with the build caused the muddy conditions. Actually wasn’t too bad and dry overhead until sunday afternoon. We’ve been so lucky since then though we could do without the scorching few days on arrival. fingers crossed the dry weather continues. 

On 11/8/2022 at 8:25 PM, Franky said:

2010 was the best of all years!!! Literally didn’t see a cloud in 5 days. 

Pure Heaven. 

This is insanity to me, I'll never understand how people enjoy a hot Glasto they must not sleep or walk

2011 always sticks out in my mind as the absolute worst for mud, but I also think it has blistering heat which for me was an awful combo

2016 I just remember that conditions when entering and setting up the tent were basically as bad as they could possibly be. It seemed everything I brought was already caked in muck and wet by the time the tent was up.

For the record, I think the weather this year was absolutely perfect. Ok it would be nicer to have blue skies, but that usually means being 4/5° warmer as well

1 hour ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

For the record, I think the weather this year was absolutely perfect. Ok it would be nicer to have blue skies, but that usually means being 4/5° warmer as well

Totally agree.

Whatever year it was when Kylie played was ridiculously hot. I barely left the shade before 7pm every day.

2 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Totally agree.

Whatever year it was when Kylie played was ridiculously hot. I barely left the shade before 7pm every day.

Considering global warming I think its gonna keep being how it was the last 3. either hot and dry, or nice and some spots of rain. I mean nobody is going to get upset with Weds being sort of warm, youre arriving and setting up camp. You dont want bibilical day 1. I know lots of people wanted it to be a bit warmer friday and saturday night, but thats how it goes. I mean it couldve been dropping buckets instead.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-64032458

Considering this summer was incredibly hot, this is mad. I felt like the Wednesday with getting 2 hours sleep, waiting 3/4 hours line, setting up my tent in the heat really impacted the rest of the week.

Luckily this year I by coach so hopefully some pain reduced. 

Im always Heatwave > Rain everyday of the week but can see how its taxing on other people 

20 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Considering this summer was incredibly hot, this is mad. I felt like the Wednesday with getting 2 hours sleep, waiting 3/4 hours line, setting up my tent in the heat really impacted the rest of the week.

Im always Heatwave > Rain everyday of the week but can see how its taxing on other people 

From that article:

"The warmest year since records began in 1850 was in 2016"

Uh oh.

21 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Adverse weather can also have a big impact on the rest of the week. In 2016, I left London at 4:30pm on the Tuesday with the intention of arriving for the car parks opening around 7pm-ish. Obviously the lead up to that week was very wet and as a result, they weren't letting in the camper vans at the usual time on the Tuesday night, I think because of the state of the ground. That caused a huge tailback on the main roads leading in and we were essentially static for hours. After 4 or 5 hours of waiting, I heard that the way in via Glastonbury town was a little easier, so I drove the long way around, down the A303 and round. I turned the ignition off in my car at 6:30am. 14 hours from door to car park with no sleep with a queue to get into and a tent still to put up. On the Wednesday I was completely done in. 

2010, 2019 and 2022 weather all the way for me. 

50 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

I see El Niño has been first off the mark this year, beating the Azores high and the Spanish finger 😉😊

On 12/21/2022 at 12:38 PM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Adverse weather can also have a big impact on the rest of the week. In 2016, I left London at 4:30pm on the Tuesday with the intention of arriving for the car parks opening around 7pm-ish. Obviously the lead up to that week was very wet and as a result, they weren't letting in the camper vans at the usual time on the Tuesday night, I think because of the state of the ground. That caused a huge tailback on the main roads leading in and we were essentially static for hours. After 4 or 5 hours of waiting, I heard that the way in via Glastonbury town was a little easier, so I drove the long way around, down the A303 and round. I turned the ignition off in my car at 6:30am. 14 hours from door to car park with no sleep with a queue to get into and a tent still to put up. On the Wednesday I was completely done in. 

2010, 2019 and 2022 weather all the way for me. 

2016 was muddy but manageable apart from the traffic logjam getting into the festival.  Here’s the stone circle in the mud!
57157383-DC76-4E3A-9383-E0448F4517F4.jpeg.5417316c25e11a5e2ce13df1d40ac13b.jpeg

On 12/27/2022 at 10:44 AM, TiZuff said:

no way was 2016 manageable. it was painful and a total slog.

It was a bit of a slog underfoot and welly swallowing mud as it dried out but quite a lot of reasonably dry weather until late Sunday afternoon. We managed to suss out the best pathways to negotiate around the site. Traffic arriving Wednesday morning was the worst bit, due if I recollect to trouble with camper vans getting stuck. We were in a queue of traffic that stretched back to the Villages before Street after leaving the M5, with folk leaving cars for a piss in the fields. 

11 hours ago, clarkete said:

But erm...most people did manage didn't they? 

We managed but it was a slog. I think the queues getting in made the biggest difference. People who managed to avoid them probably feel 💯 better towards that year than those of us who were stuck in them but the 10 hour wait to do the last 2 miles broke me a bit before I even began. We left our house just before 2pm on the Tuesday having foolishly deciding to take the festival’s advice to arrive later and didn’t get to our caravan until 5:30 in the morning. 

34 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

We managed but it was a slog. I think the queues getting in made the biggest difference. People who managed to avoid them probably feel 💯 better towards that year than those of us who were stuck in them but the 10 hour wait to do the last 2 miles broke me a bit before I even began. We left our house just before 2pm on the Tuesday having foolishly deciding to take the festival’s advice to arrive later and didn’t get to our caravan until 5:30 in the morning. 

Yeah, we had queues but nothing that bad and we only had thirty miles to come, plus our journey out was pretty smooth. 

My comment was pretty literal - not many I'm aware of left that year, as compared to say 2007 which was damp and miserable but maybe less muddy

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

Yeah, we had queues but nothing that bad and we only had thirty miles to come, plus our journey out was pretty smooth. 

My comment was pretty literal - not many I'm aware of left that year, as compared to say 2007 which was damp and miserable but maybe less muddy

We left after the legend slot which is the earliest we have ever left. When it started raining again I knew we had to go. In the morning we checked and we thought our best chance of getting out without needing to be towed was if we had a run up to it so we knew we had to go. I think with Brexit as well it easily goes down as my worst Glastonbury but 2017 more than made up for it. That was a joy from beginning to end. 

3 hours ago, gigpusher said:

We left after the legend slot which is the earliest we have ever left. When it started raining again I knew we had to go. In the morning we checked and we thought our best chance of getting out without needing to be towed was if we had a run up to it so we knew we had to go. I think with Brexit as well it easily goes down as my worst Glastonbury but 2017 more than made up for it. That was a joy from beginning to end. 

You lightweights 😉

We stayed until Monday morning /afternoon in CV East and it was dry as I drove out. 

By contrast 9 years earlier I was wet for several days and once it was clear the Sunday would offer no improvement I couldn't face it.