The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

it's flipping bad in many parts of the world...including nearby in mainland europe. Really starting to feel urgent.

It's gone way past urgent.

Unless we make massive changes asap, too many to list here, then we're in very big trouble. May be too late already.

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Unless we make massive changes asap, too many to list here, then we're in very big trouble. May be too late already.

having a discussion with my dad at the weekend ... he gives us 500 years as a species , personally id say less .... an interesting book to write would be one about how the planet recovers and if it could post humans ... with the ice caps gone ... would we just turn into a planet like mars 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

having a discussion with my dad at the weekend ... he gives us 500 years as a species , personally id say less .... an interesting book to write would be one about how the planet recovers and if it could post humans ... with the ice caps gone ... would we just turn into a planet like mars 

That's very optimistic IMO, I'd go for decades, positive feedback loops and all that, it's going to get faster and faster.

9 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Yes, maybe..but also maybe just saying it's too late we're fucked anyway doesn't help. 1.5 to 2 is happening, but we can still stop it getting higher than that.

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

That's very optimistic IMO, I'd go for decades, positive feedback loops and all that, it's going to get faster and faster.

I guess we can adapt to a point ... then we self destruct and end up fighting over space and destroying ourselves ... moving to places like greenland which might be cooler 

It’s an interesting theory. People talk about saving the planet but in reality it’s about keeping the climate in a state where the human race can survive. Long term the planet will outlive humanity and rebalance itself out. 

As@crazyfool1’s dad says. The existence of the human race is finite. 

I wonder which species will evolve to be the next dominant force on the planet. 

My money is on the Squirrels. 

Edited by squirrelarmy

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

It’s an interesting theory. People talk about saving the planet but it reality it’s keeping the climate in a state where the human race can survive. Long term the planet will outlive humanity and rebalance itself out. 

As@crazyfool1’s dad says. The existence of the human race is finite. 

I wonder which species will evolve to be the next dominant force on the planet. 

My money is on the Squirrels. 

it wont be the reds they are only fighting back with human help ... the greys might they are kinda like rats with bushy tails 🙂 

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

it wont be the reds they are only fighting back with human help

Once farming ceases on an industrial scale then woodland will return so the Reds will have more of a fighting chance. 

The greys scavenge on human rubbish so they will lose a source of their food. 

This is far beyond a weather topic though. If anyone wants to discuss how the squirrels are going to take over the world we can take this elsewhere. 

8 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

It’s an interesting theory. People talk about saving the planet but in reality it’s about keeping the climate in a state where the human race can survive. Long term the planet will outlive humanity and rebalance itself out. 

Yea it will.

It's not like we weren't warned, like 60 odd years ago at least.

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

What massive changes can happen without forcing that change by, well, force. 

problem is there are so many people that need to agree with each other and take the steps .... and the world just doesnt look like it can agree anything 😞 .... china being a big problem by pulling out of agreements or talks 

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

What massive changes can happen without forcing that change by, well, force. 

Yea that would be the only way.

IMO we need to immediately stop manufacturing unnecessary shit, but jobs, economy, blah, blah, blah...

We've got ourselves in a right mess and I've no idea how we get out of it, or if people really want to once they realise just how much needs to change.

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

problem is there are so many people that need to agree with each other and take the steps .... and the world just doesnt look like it can agree anything 😞 .... china being a big problem by pulling out of agreements or talks 

I hear a lot about China' s emissions being so big, but rarely hear about how a lot of those emissions are effectively Europe's as they manufacture most of our shit.

5 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I hear a lot about China' s emissions being so big, but rarely hear about how a lot of those emissions are effectively Europe's as they manufacture most of our shit.

yeah fair ... and we've also created a shit load ( not scientific I know ) of the problems in the west already 

24 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Yea that would be the only way.

IMO we need to immediately stop manufacturing unnecessary shit, but jobs, economy, blah, blah, blah...

We've got ourselves in a right mess and I've no idea how we get out of it, or if people really want to once they realise just how much needs to change.

I'm not one of these people who really feels about things (and i can imagine how hard it is for those of you who do), but looking at it objectively, knowing that our current lifestyles are completely incompatible with these changes, isn't the upcoming winter situation with energy prices a good thing? Gets people used to having less, doing less and being less comfortable? As long as it doesn't snap back to how it is now and stays that way, surely that's a step in the right direction?

Edited by efcfanwirral

7 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'm not one of these people who really feels about things (and i can imagine how hard it is for those of you who do), but looking at it objectively, knowing that our current lifestyles are completely incompatible with these changes, isn't the upcoming winter situation with energy prices a good thing? Gets people used to having less, doing less and being less comfortable? As long as it doesn't snap back to how it is now and stays that way, surely that's a step in the right direction?

I guess will get people used to being more careful in how they use energy, how important building insulation is, how maybe don't need to drive everywhere, and maybe that don't need to take as many flights...but I think biggest impact will be how many nations will realise they need to become less reliant on fossil fuels from elsewhere and invest more in other sources of energy...nuclear and renewables mostly. Not sure the transition away from fossil fuels is going to be a peaceful one though, and maybe we're seeing the start of that.

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I imagine a good few people ain't going to like this and I understand that people are really struggling, but food and energy prices have been too low for years.

But yea you may have a point.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I guess will get people used to being more careful in how they use energy, how important building insulation is, how maybe don't need to drive everywhere, and maybe that don't need to take as many flights...but I think biggest impact will be how many nations will realise they need to become less reliant on fossil fuels from elsewhere and invest more in other sources of energy...nuclear and renewables mostly. Not sure the transition away from fossil fuels is going to be a peaceful one though, and maybe we're seeing the start of that.

It's not particularly compatible with democracy either...

14 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

It's not particularly compatible with democracy either...

Might be if non-fossil energy becomes more affordable and also more secure. I like to think most humans don't want to fuck the planet, and as evidence of global warming becomes more evident will want to do something. We're actually an ingenious species, as far as we know the most ingenious in the universe, but this could be our greatest challenge...and the biggest factor in this is acting now doesn't help us right now, but will help decades in the future, will help our kids and our kid's kids.