The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

4 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

It's pretty standard for a commercial walk in, they all tend to have a rated time that they can maintain temperature for in emergencies, else with all the rules around food safety, we'd have to throw food away / use it up quickly, every time there's a power cut. 😮 

Ours is full of fries and bread products mostly 🙈 But it also stores our batched cooked foods like lasagnes, currys etc, the ones we cook in big batches then freeze down to rewarm later (I can hear Gordon Ramsey crying as I type, but hey, it's a small British pub, at least we home make the stuff, most pubs just buy it in!!! And most dishes are cooked to order, cannot freeze down and rewarm a cream based sauce for example, it'll split. It's just the ones that take hours and hours to prepare and cook that we don't make to order, but I'm rambling now, lol.) Losing our batched cooked stuff would mean a lot of expense and work remaking it. The meat and veg is fresh, so kept in the fridge. Although I'm sure if we had to claim, we may find some beef fillets, and legs of lamb, that need binning. 😉 

Frozen and reheated lasagna beats fresh. 

Apologies for those opening this thread and reading about food, after the gardening stuff.

30 degrees in the office. I just can't focus...

21 minutes ago, moogster said:

Frozen and reheated lasagna beats fresh. 

Apologies for those opening this thread and reading about food, after the gardening stuff.

30 degrees in the office. I just can't focus...

Don’t worry it’s like the appetiser before the real controversy kicks in 

9 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I assume this is the same show I'll be seeing in London on the 21st - hope it's good! And not too hot...

We have a festival this weekend (Supernormal) so am feeling a bit nervous! It's tiny so not a lot of walking and there is a fair amount of shade with trees etc but 35 degrees is nuts. We are going with three kids and someone having treatment for cancer so am a bit worried about how they'll cope more than anything. Well that and putting up two tents in 35 degree heat! 😰

Good luck with that! Festival in this sort of weather is my kind of hell.

14 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I assume this is the same show I'll be seeing in London on the 21st - hope it's good! And not too hot...

We have a festival this weekend (Supernormal) so am feeling a bit nervous! It's tiny so not a lot of walking and there is a fair amount of shade with trees etc but 35 degrees is nuts. We are going with three kids and someone having treatment for cancer so am a bit worried about how they'll cope more than anything. Well that and putting up two tents in 35 degree heat! 😰

Have you got tarps for above the tents? 

Makes such a huge difference. 

5 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Good luck with that! Festival in this sort of weather is my kind of hell.

Yeah I'm a bit nervous! Luckily it's not the kind of festival where we will be running around watching loads of bands but more going with the flow. Which in the daytime might be a lot of sitting in the shade.

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Thinking about buying a cheap weather station ...  pretty warm here at 31.5 .... but i think ive worked out keeping my house cool with a decent draught 

We have a weather station, I find I obsessively look at the temperature of the garden in this heat. It's currently registering 38.7😱

It's rather alarming. You may find yourself behaving the same. 

14 minutes ago, Kizzie said:

We have a weather station, I find I obsessively look at the temperature of the garden in this heat. It's currently registering 38.7😱

It's rather alarming. You may find yourself behaving the same. 

What have you got ? I’m currently looking at one that gives 3 temperature location readings … which means I can experiment to work out the best ways of keeping the house cool . Pretty basic but not going to spend a fortune … think this was about £40 on Amazon 

45 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

What have you got ? I’m currently looking at one that gives 3 temperature location readings … which means I can experiment to work out the best ways of keeping the house cool . Pretty basic but not going to spend a fortune … think this was about £40 on Amazon 

No idea, Neil may be able to enlighten you. 

Currently reading 38.9.

50 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

the heat will be over by monday and then that will be it until next summer (maybe).

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

You know how I’m always talking about living on the sunny side of the Pennines when compared to western parts. 

Finally have visual proof. 

49D4C208-2798-49F4-9133-B714936A7FBF.thumb.jpeg.13d06dbfb7c6dd3962e522626d0cc1b7.jpeg

It does show the effect of a changing climate so could be a picture we see every year. 

when Manchester dries out we know we are fucked 

Just now, steviewevie said:

It kind of does though doesn't it? Maybe they should have two temperatures, one in the shade and one not.

What did it get up to during that short silly hot one a few weeks ago?

About the same as today, my garden has the pebbles from hell. 

34 outside non sun temperature . fire personell really earning their money at the moment ... loads of field fires locally , why we dont ban disposable bbqs uk wide for the time being who knows 😞 .... imagine having to fight fires in the black kit they wear 😞 

Edited by crazyfool1