The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

Got home safe and sound, everyone. The descent into Manchester was sketchy as hell and the landing was genuinely quite scary as we were rocking all over the place and being blown around a lot 😂 hats off to the pilot though who seemed chuffed to bits as we were exiting the plane; he was laughing and smiling a lot so I think his adrenaline was pumping. 

Edited by Andre91

On 2/18/2022 at 10:40 AM, squirrelarmy said:

Panic stations because there’s a risk of losing ones hat in London. 

So far this “storm” is nothing but a load of warm/cold air. 

The previous storms this year and earlier this week have been far more severe and damaging but they didn’t get the same level of coverage probably because it didn’t affect those precious souls in the SE. 

It's mainly because of the red weather warning, which are pretty rare to be issued. Plus, what might be an amber or yellow warning in some parts of the country, become a red one in places like London due to the increased risks, often to do with architecture i.e tall buildings with large panel work.

For example, what would be a mild weather warning up in the highlands, can be classed as a red warning in a populated city. 

It's this red warning that the media have picked up on, nothing to do with SE favouritism. 

2 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

It's mainly because of the red weather warning, which are pretty rare to be issued. Plus, what might be an amber or yellow warning in some parts of the country, become a red one in places like London due to the increased risks, often to do with architecture i.e tall buildings with large panel work.

For example, what would be a mild weather warning up in the highlands, can be classed as a red warning in a populated city. 

It's this red warning that the media have picked up on, nothing to do with SE favouritism. 

Last nights storm was probably the worst one so far this year but as it’s in the north it’s just not being picked up on by the media.

Leeds is the UKs second biggest city by population so not buying the difference in warnings based on population. It seems like half the city is under water at the moment. 

32 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Last nights storm was probably the worst one so far this year but as it’s in the north it’s just not being picked up on by the media.

Leeds is the UKs second biggest city by population so not buying the difference in warnings based on population. It seems like half the city is under water at the moment. 

BBC are doing a live tracker, seems like it is being covered. Hope all affected are ok. My local area, Wiltshire, took a good kicking Friday, schools closed, trees down, roads still shut and people still without power. 3 storms in 4 days is not normal for any part of the country I'd wager. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-leeds-60436030

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Would have thought Birmingham and Manchester would be a lot bigger?!

2 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

There’s been loads on the news today from up north on the weather not a single mention of London 

13 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

ha! true!

carry on...as you were. 🙂 

Basically Birmingham is Englands biggest city. Leeds is 2nd.

The City of Manchester and The City of London don’t even make the top 10. What people call London and Manchester are large urban areas made up of multiple cities and councils. We are very pedantic up North about this kind of thing 😂

Anyway right now the weather is glorious. The sun is out and the beer garden is calling my name.

3 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

You do realise that the highest winds ever measured in this country were during the storm that hit down South? 

That's pretty convincing evidence that it was the bigger storm regardless of the size of the chip on your shoulder.

59 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Basically Birmingham is Englands biggest city. Leeds is 2nd.

The City of Manchester and The City of London don’t even make the top 10. What people call London and Manchester are large urban areas made up of multiple cities and councils. We are very pedantic up North about this kind of thing 😂

Anyway right now the weather is glorious. The sun is out and the beer garden is calling my name.

I couldn't care less. 

1 hour ago, waynewdk said:

With there being a 2 year break, do you think the festival will hold out better in the event of bad weather, I think grass will have recovered in places, deeper stronger roots, can anyone remember how the festival did after fallow year

No, at least not in any noticeable way. 2007 was one of the worst ever for mud, and came after a fallow year. Same with 1997.

Some of the fields have been used for crops in the fallow years, and so have been as churned up as much as they would during the muddiest festival. Ultimately, if there's tens of thousands of feet, lots of water, and soil that doesn't drain quickly then you're going to get mud regardless of how entrenched the grass roots are.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, waynewdk said:

With there being a 2 year break, do you think the festival will hold out better in the event of bad weather, I think grass will have recovered in places, deeper stronger roots, can anyone remember how the festival did after fallow year

I mean the grass could hold up better from  all the people walking, but thats mostly it after a long break.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MaxPower said:

I remain resolutely optimistic about the weather this year. Seems to be generally good that weekend most years now, feeling good for a scorcher in 2022.

You dont want dust for 5 days, youre gonna think you got covid afterwards when its just festival flu.  There needs to be a balance of a little rain and nice temps with  some sun. Maybe mid 20's  temp wise at most but I dont think anyone wants it to hit 30 or higher.