Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

People on Facebook not happy about losing the booking fees! Understandable, but that’s just what happens unfortunately. 

(£7.50 x 9000!) 😬

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

People on Facebook not happy about losing the booking fees! Understandable, but that’s just what happens unfortunately. 

(£7.50 x 9000!) 😬

Won’t see tickets or whoever be keeping that for their ‘hosting’.

3 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

£67,500!

2 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

Won’t see tickets or whoever be keeping that for their ‘hosting’.

Ticket agents only ones making any dollar at the moment? Surely, with the competition, there’s room for events to negotiate a % of the booking fee? 

18 minutes ago, stuie said:

Ticket agents only ones making any dollar at the moment? Surely, with the competition, there’s room for events to negotiate a % of the booking fee? 

I’d assume You have to contract for a few years with the same ticket agents to stop them all undercutting each other. 

Boomtown had a £1mil grant last year so they could probably afford to give the booking fee back as a goodwill gesture. I think it was 6k capacity and not close to being sold out so wouldn’t cost them the earth. 

1 hour ago, Old_Johno said:

Boomtown had a £1mil grant last year so they could probably afford to give the booking fee back as a goodwill gesture. I think it was 6k capacity and not close to being sold out so wouldn’t cost them the earth. 

Those DCMS grants came with some fairly specific strings attached to them as to what they could be used for - one of them was that the money could only be used for things prior to a certain date (think it was 1st April this year, but not certain) - so they can't use it to cover booking fees from Boom Village or any costs they're incurring now.

Regardless of that - I'd wager they lost significantly more than a million quid last year so even after the grant they'll be in the red. Same for Glastonbury.

10 hours ago, incident said:

As Ben mentioned, Boomtown doesn't and would be the largest after Glastonbury. Shambala doesn't either.

At some events the distinction isn't all that important - Bearded Theory does have a separate Arena and Campsite, but as there's no real checkpoint or other obstacle between the two it's not something you really notice. Just walk in freely, showing your wristband to the stewards stood on the side of the path. Similar applies at EOTR.

At Bearded we check for beer only to ensure everyone has one on their way into the arena!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Farmfest confirming a green light and asking for proof of negative LFT on arrival and Track & Trace sign up.

Seem to be the standard approach for many events now.

LFT is basically nothing. It's the cheapest form and will not deliver accurately.

35 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

LFT is basically nothing. It's the cheapest form and will not deliver accurately.

Best you go and let the scientists know as they think otherwise.

https://www.qmul.ac.uk/media/news/2021/smd/lateral-flow-tests-are-95-effective-at-detecting-covid-19-when-used-at-the-onset-of-symptoms.html

Farmfest going ahead in just over 2 weeks and with lfts beforehand. Surely no more cancellations at this point. Have they got cancellation insurance and we just haven't heard about it yet? 

49 minutes ago, Rex2 said:

Farmfest going ahead in just over 2 weeks and with lfts beforehand. Surely no more cancellations at this point. Have they got cancellation insurance and we just haven't heard about it yet? 

Small scale - 5000 max - and much of the organisation done by their own team, means  reasonably low overheads and costs to cover if committed I guess.  It's a risk for sure, but given that it's so close to the 19th I guess they may be thinking it's a (financial) risk worth taking as Bojo is unlikely to pull the plug within 11 days of unlocking.

1 minute ago, parsonjack said:

Small scale - 5000 max - and much of the organisation done by their own team, means  reasonably low overheads and costs to cover if committed I guess.  It's a risk for sure, but given that it's so close to the 19th I guess they may be thinking it's a (financial) risk worth taking as Bojo is unlikely to pull the plug within 11 days of unlocking.

I've got 110 above booked which is 1,000 people and their own land, but is mid August so could be pushing it. I'm 50/50 on that one! 

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

That study was on people that were already showing symptoms. How good is it at detecting people that are asymptomatic or whose symptoms have still to start? As those people can still spread it.

From the Farmfest regs. Seems to imply that if you do test positive you would be eligible for a refund – though I’m tending to assume that that isn’t the case. Anyone got any ideas generally? It doesn’t say anywhere on the site…

"If you refuse to take a test or show your result, you may be turned away from the festival and you will not be eligible for a refund."

12 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

That study was on people that were already showing symptoms. How good is it at detecting people that are asymptomatic or whose symptoms have still to start? As those people can still spread it.

Other studies of those sort of people showed an approx 99% accuracy rate especially in asymtomatic cases in the early days of infection. Here are some links to stuff. The full report is out there somewhere too.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-analysis-of-lateral-flow-tests-shows-specificity-of-at-least-999

https://www.healtheuropa.eu/analysis-shows-99-9-accuracy-of-lateral-flow-tests-for-covid-19/106548/

1 hour ago, Homer said:

From the Farmfest regs. Seems to imply that if you do test positive you would be eligible for a refund – though I’m tending to assume that that isn’t the case. Anyone got any ideas generally? It doesn’t say anywhere on the site…

"If you refuse to take a test or show your result, you may be turned away from the festival and you will not be eligible for a refund."

I only saw yesterday that Latitude says that you are eligible for a refund if you test positive but I assumed that was part of being a test event.

2 hours ago, Homer said:

I would have thought that a positive test would result in a refund. Otherwise they are creating an incentive for people to try and get around it somehow which doesn’t seem very responsible. 

2 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Other studies of those sort of people showed an approx 99% accuracy rate especially in asymtomatic cases in the early days of infection. Here are some links to stuff. The full report is out there somewhere too.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-analysis-of-lateral-flow-tests-shows-specificity-of-at-least-999

https://www.healtheuropa.eu/analysis-shows-99-9-accuracy-of-lateral-flow-tests-for-covid-19/106548/

Thanks for the info.

Both those articles talking about the risk about a false positive been very low (which is really good), but neither mention the percentage of false negatives, which also seems important i.e it's good they never say people have Covid when they don't (good specificity), but how many people that do have it does it not pick up(what's the sensitivity)?

This study suggests that the UK test only has a sensitivity of 52%.
https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n823

If a lateral flow tests says you've got Covid, you almost definitely do have it, but if you get a negative test, there is still a pretty high chance you do have it.

2 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

Thanks for the info.

Both those articles talking about the risk about a false positive been very low (which is really good), but neither mention the percentage of false negatives, which also seems important i.e it's good they never say people have Covid when they don't (good specificity), but how many people that do have it does it not pick up(what's the sensitivity)?

This study suggests that the UK test only has a sensitivity of 52%.
https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n823

If a lateral flow tests says you've got Covid, you almost definitely do have it, but if you get a negative test, there is still a pretty high chance you do have it.

But then, youd do a PCR test if you have symptoms anyway. So it would be asymptomatic people not covered, which if youre double vaxxed anyway....

9 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

That's why the text on the lateral flow results days "it's likely you were not infectious when the test was done" rather than "all clear".