Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

25 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I'm also now massively looking forward to Hot Chip and New Order in September. Going to be emotional!

I was massively looking forward to it anyway. 2 of my top 3 favourite bands and I get to return 'home'. If my house sales have not completed by then, it will probably be the last time I stay in my house. If they have, I will be staying at my parents. Going to be funny, sneaking up the stairs in the early hours, drunk as a skunk and trying not to wake anyone up. Just hope City are at home home that weekend as well.

12 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

What an amazing day that'll be! Not ashamed to say it but I think I might shed a few tears of joy when I finally get to Latitude in a couple of weeks, it'll feel a proper moment to celebrate 

Will almost definitely cry to Hot Chip. They had me just watching the live streamed gig last year!

6 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I was massively looking forward to it anyway. 2 of my top 3 favourite bands and I get to return 'home'. If my house sales have not completed by then, it will probably be the last time I stay in my house. If they have, I will be staying at my parents. Going to be funny, sneaking up the stairs in the early hours, drunk as a skunk and trying not to wake anyone up. Just hope City are at home home that weekend as well.

Oh yeah I've always been massively looking forward to, don't get me wrong. But Friday night is the first time I've danced to music in a field since 2019 and that has really intensified my excitement for it as I now remember what I've been missing much more acutely.

On 7/8/2021 at 12:13 PM, stuie said:

Sadly, on the day Noisily was supposed to start, this thread disappeared to Page 2.  

Have we all given up any hope now? 

I'm very happy for the people at Wembley - and for the nation, but after last night... but I can't help feeling we've been kicked in our communal bollocks.  Watching those scenes and still not being able to do what we love is total bullshit.

Not given up hope here - am going to Latitude next week, camping at Worthy Farm in August, Victorious Festival Aug Bank holiday weekend and Frank Turner’s Lost Evenings festival in September. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sedra said:

Not given up hope here - am going to Latitude next week, camping at Worthy Farm in August, Victorious Festival Aug Bank holiday weekend and Frank Turner’s Lost Evenings festival in September. 

August/September has never looked busier on my calendar!

5 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

How many eFestivalers are going to Latitude? 

Me - we bought tickets a while ago back in March after Glastonbury was cancelled again on the off chance it would go ahead. And the line up now is pretty good considering. 

For these festivals that are happening do people think there might be some special guests that might appear on the lineups just for something to do ? Or will it need to fit with a new release and or tour ? Playing below the station they might usually command on a festival lineup … 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

For these festivals that are happening do people think there might be some special guests that might appear on the lineups just for something to do ? Or will it need to fit with a new release and or tour ? Playing below the station they might usually command on a festival lineup … 

Damon albarn is already added to Latitude on a small stage so it looks like it! 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

It's quite possible I guess.. but for me the lineups this year are less important than ever. Just can't wait to be back at a proper festival.

In all honesty I'd not even consider Latitude in a normal year, but right now I'm looking forward to it as much as I do Glastonbury.

1 hour ago, incident said:

It's quite possible I guess.. but for me the lineups this year are less important than ever. Just can't wait to be back at a proper festival.

In all honesty I'd not even consider Latitude in a normal year, but right now I'm looking forward to it as much as I do Glastonbury.

Very true … although I’m still slightly apprehensive 🙂 that will hopefully change 

23 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

How many eFestivalers are going to Latitude? 

I'm going, although struggling to get up for it. Finding the whole idea quite stressful, I think mainly because of general uncertainty and return anxiety I've experienced at the socially distanced gigs. Spent a fair while on the Clashfinder and playlists this weekend in the hope that would fire me up, but it's not really had the desired effect. Could really do with a few exciting lineup additions at this point! There's enough great bands down the bill for it to be a good weekend (plus first proper festival in 2 years!), but very little to discover or out of the ordinary / tough to otherwise see acts. I guess that comes partly from only (mainly?) UK acts. 

I think I'd probably sell my ticket at this point if I could be 100% sure GM and EotR were going ahead, but still think they could be last minute cancellations as cases rise and people begin to panic again. Then again, their lineups could also disappoint / be too similar. This uncertainty is really not good for my head!

Edited by JHad

Latitude still isn't sold out, which is absolutely mad to me considering it's a very popular festival coming at the right time. There was a three/four week period earlier in the year when festivals were selling out left and right but the consumer confidence seems to have dropped off considerably since then.

27 minutes ago, JHad said:

I'm going, although struggling to get up for it. Finding the whole idea quite stressful, I think mainly because of general uncertainty and return anxiety I've experienced at the socially distanced gigs. Spent a fair while on the Clashfinder and playlists this weekend in the hope that would fire me up, but it's not really had the desired effect. Could really do with a few exciting lineup additions at this point! There's enough great bands down the bill for it to be a good weekend (plus first proper festival in 2 years!), but very little to discover or out of the ordinary / tough to otherwise see acts. I guess that comes partly from only (mainly?) UK acts. 

I think I'd probably sell my ticket at this point if I could be 100% sure GM and EotR were going ahead, but still think they could be last minute cancellations as cases rise and people begin to panic again. Then again, their lineups could also disappoint / be too similar. This uncertainty is really not good for my head!

One thing to point out there is that all acts are in that category right now, and you seem to have the same worries as me about the viability of the music industry for the rest of this year (I'm thinking indoor events not just festivals). I think this is one of our only chances to see any live music personally. 

On the anxiety around crowds I guess with a (big) field it's a bit easier to pick your own spot than a socially distanced gig as you can move around more? 

Edited by efcfanwirral
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JHad said:

Hang in there, your anxiety is natural, especially since it being so long since the last festival. I think you'll be surprised by how many people are having similar thoughts to you. There'll initially be some anxiety and awkwardness throughout those attending but give it a few hours and by sundown on Thursday, we'll all get into the swing of it again. I'm with you, it's not my ideal lineup and I didn't have any plans to return to Latitude (despite enjoying it previously) but I intend to grasp this opportunity with both hands. Add in some good weather, a few more acts announced, maybe the odd surprise set, a bit of comedy, a swim in the lake, nonsensical chats with randoms and we'll be flying. For me, this event will predominantly be about the experience, rather than the music.

By Friday evening, the outside world will temporarily not exist and we'll be right back in that festival groove, dancing, hugging and feeling free. I think the main issue will be afterwards, when we wonder when our next festival will be. But we'll deal with that on the Monday. 

I hope you still go and I'm certain you'll have a great time.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

One thing to point out there is that all acts are in that category right now, and you seem to have the same worries as me about the viability of the music industry for the rest of this year (I'm thinking indoor events not just festivals). I think this is one of our only chances to see any live music personally. 

On the anxiety around crowds I guess with a (big) field it's a bit easier to pick your own spot than a socially distanced gig as you can move around more? 

10 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Hang in there, your anxiety is natural, especially since it being so long since the last festival. I think you'll be surprised by how many people are having similar thoughts to you. There'll initially be some anxiety and awkwardness throughout those attending but give it a few hours and by sundown on Thursday, we'll all get into the swing of it again. I'm with you, it's not my ideal lineup and I didn't have any plans to return to Latitude (despite enjoying it previously) but I intend to grasp this opportunity with both hands. Add in some good weather, a few more acts announced, maybe the odd surprise set, a bit of comedy, a swim in the lake, nonsensical chats with randoms and we'll be flying. For me, this event will predominantly be about the experience, rather than the music.

By Friday evening, the outside world will temporarily not exist and we'll be right back in that festival groove, dancing, hugging and feeling free. I think the main issue will be afterwards, when we wonder when our next festival will be. But we'll deal with that on the Monday. 

I hope you still go and I'm certain you'll have a great time.

Cheers both! ❤️

Time for me to delve back into the playlist and remember how lucky we are to be going to a pretty decent festival 😊.

On socially distanced gigs, I've found the structure much harder, especially as the rules are slightly different in each venue. There's not really the freedom to get whatever it is you need from a gig on that day, whether that's getting down early and chatting with people or losing yourself anonymously in the crowd. I invariably head home feeling mentally nourished, calmer yet energised, and part of something bigger after a 'normal' gig or festival. Hopefully we can all feel that after Latitude. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JHad said:

Cheers both! ❤️

Time for me to delve back into the playlist and remember how lucky we are to be going to a pretty decent festival 😊.

On socially distanced gigs, I've found the structure much harder, especially as the rules are slightly different in each venue. There's not really the freedom to get whatever it is you need from a gig on that day, whether that's getting down early and chatting with people or losing yourself anonymously in the crowd. I invariably head home feeling mentally nourished, calmer yet energised, and part of something bigger after a 'normal' gig or festival. Hopefully we can all feel that after Latitude. 

That's the spirit! See you in the fields!

Whilst I completely understand and empathise with any uncertainty and anxiety people may be experiencing at the thought of returning to a full-on festival after all this madness, I would be fibbing not to admit that I (very fortuitously) have zero worry and would bite off my own leg at the moment if it meant that Green Man was confirmed and I knew that I'd be in a field with mates listening to music in a few short weeks...!

Ben

• Like 2

I was previously one of optimistic ones  on this thread but there’s just been too much tomfuckery by our government for me to take anything seriously.

I now expect the only events to go ahead this year are the ones with the government pilot handshake. My last two remaining festivals of this year will be in the bin within days.

We’ll see what Boris says, but there’s just no confidence left by organisers and then we get stories like this: 

https://ra.co/news/75650?fbclid=IwAR3w39wrRrz4910bnwJHBQl1-rIBepHpt-Rwji8R9uqu501rZ7By9wmL4OA

7 minutes ago, stuie said:

I was previously one of optimistic ones  on this thread but there’s just been too much tomfuckery by our government for me to take anything seriously.

I now expect the only events to go ahead this year are the ones with the government pilot handshake. My last two remaining festivals of this year will be in the bin within days.

We’ll see what Boris says, but there’s just no confidence left by organisers and then we get stories like this: 

https://ra.co/news/75650?fbclid=IwAR3w39wrRrz4910bnwJHBQl1-rIBepHpt-Rwji8R9uqu501rZ7By9wmL4OA

Yeah unless they come up with the insurance, which they won't because they know full well we'll be doing exactly what Holland has done within weeks.

Edited by efcfanwirral