Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

Sorry if this has come up already, but the only date Franz Ferdinand have between May 21st and August 4th is on the Saturday of Glastonbury in Mallorca. Is it out of the question for them to open the Other on Friday? They're probably just about still the right size for that slot

2 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

No thanks, I'll be celebrating White Boy Summer with the likes of Black Midi, Blossoms, Crowded House, Declan McKenna, Idles, and Sam Fender

White boy summer looks class this year! I’ll have to check out black midi too.

2 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

No thanks, I'll be celebrating White Boy Summer with the likes of Black Midi, Blossoms, Crowded House, Declan McKenna, Idles, and Sam Fender

I think there's going to be about two people on site who are at both Blossoms and Black Midi. One of which might be my sister, who quite likes Blossoms, and as long as there isn't anything else she desperately wants to see, will probably be dragged a long to come and watch Black Midi with me.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

Sorry if this has come up already, but the only date Franz Ferdinand have between May 21st and August 4th is on the Saturday of Glastonbury in Mallorca. Is it out of the question for them to open the Other on Friday? They're probably just about still the right size for that slot

I’ve argued that they’re a contender.

30 minutes ago, Miyn said:

I think there's going to be about two people on site who are at both Blossoms and Black Midi. One of which might be my sister, who quite likes Blossoms, and as long as there isn't anything else she desperately wants to see, will probably be dragged a long to come and watch Black Midi with me.

I feel like you overestimate how niche these bands like black midi, Squid, etc. are. They’re all fairly popular guitar acts amongst young people and I already know several people who like black midi and Blossoms without even having to ask.

1 minute ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

I feel like you overestimate how niche these bands like black midi, Squid, etc. are. They’re all fairly popular guitar acts amongst young people and I already know several people who like black midi and Blossoms without even having to ask.

I know there's some percentage, but I think its quite low. It depends how big of a crowd someone like Black Midi get. If they're high up park, maybe 4th or 5th down, against someone like D-Ross or O-Rod, they could get a fairly small crowd. Maybe a couple of thousand? I think most of the Blossoms crowd will be elsewhere, if there's decent competition. So the amount of people who were at Blossoms in the Black Midi crowd could be in the high double digits or low triple digits depending on who they're up against.

I was exaggerating saying they'll be about two, obviously I think there'll be more, but I think it will be a low number. Also thought it was funny putting them in the category of "White Boy Summer" along with Blossoms, Declan McKenna and Sam Fender. Which is why I commented.

2 minutes ago, Miyn said:

I know there's some percentage, but I think its quite low. It depends how big of a crowd someone like Black Midi get. If they're high up park, maybe 4th or 5th down, against someone like D-Ross or O-Rod, they could get a fairly small crowd. Maybe a couple of thousand? I think most of the Blossoms crowd will be elsewhere, if there's decent competition. So the amount of people who were at Blossoms in the Black Midi crowd could be in the high double digits or low triple digits depending on who they're up against.

I was exaggerating saying they'll be about two, obviously I think there'll be more, but I think it will be a low number. Also thought it was funny putting them in the category of "White Boy Summer" along with Blossoms, Declan McKenna and Sam Fender. Which is why I commented.

I think he was just lumping a load of white blokes together as a joke seeing as he also had Crowded House in there.

13 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

I think he was just lumping a load of white blokes together as a joke seeing as he also had Crowded House in there.

Yeah. I think I interpreted it as them saying they'll have a high crossover of fans and whatnot. Like a different version of Sad Girl Summer, as people were saying earlier.

3 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Psssh we got all the girls summer across the pond 

C0EF4E42-901B-4517-BFF0-90AF966E1F92.jpeg

Fair few on there I'd like to see at the farm - just checked and Bartees Strange isn't busy Glasto weekend and is playing Rock Werchter the Sunday after... Would make up for the lack of Glasgow show on his UK tour. 

8 hours ago, willutalk said:

May have been covered earlier, so excuse me if it has, but has anyone seen that NIN are adding shows to their Eden Project gigs?! What may be the significance of this? Does this make them more or less likely a Glasto slot?! 

They’ve announced that those gigs are the very last of their European run this year, plus there really isn’t anywhere for them to slot in so it’s (unfortunately) a big non-starter. 

Tbh as much as I’d love it I don’t think they’ll ever play Glastonbury again. Just not really their audience and they seem to largely only headline festivals these days. 

16 hours ago, Miyn said:

Our whole group will without a doubt be at Blossoms and one of my mates will definitely try dragging us all to black midi etc. i quite like squid from that lot and will definitely see them just not so keen on some of the others like black midi

10 hours ago, willutalk said:

May have been covered earlier, so excuse me if it has, but has anyone seen that NIN are adding shows to their Eden Project gigs?! What may be the significance of this? Does this make them more or less likely a Glasto slot?! 

Welcome back Will.

They are doing Hellfest in France on the Friday. They were billed as a festival exclusive but I don't know if that still stands. General feeling is that it seems unlikely they would play those UK dates, go to France and come back again.

If they are indeed ruled out, this feels like such a miss on Glastonbury's part.

Playing down the road at Eden Project the week before Glastonbury, then playing intimate London shows the week of Glastonbury, with a support act from the initial line-up poster. Stars seem aligned, but also not.

Would far rather see them headlining the Other on Sunday than Foals.

Edited by LinvoyPrimus

2 minutes ago, LinvoyPrimus said:

If they are indeed ruled out, this feels like such a miss on Glastonbury's part.

Playing down the road at Eden Project the week before Glastonbury, then playing intimate London shows the week of Glastonbury, with a support act from the initial line-up poster. Stars seem aligned, but also not.

Would far rather see them headlining the Other on Sunday than Foals.

It does happen quite often that you get these American acts come over and play London shows around the week of the festival but don't actually pop up - The National and Interpol do it on what seems like a fairly regular basis. You've got Jack White who's probably gonna do it this year. Am sure there's other examples. 

I guess in NIN's case you have this exclusivity with Hellfest which is obviously a big deal so just isn't gonna get broken, but it makes sense to chuck in a few more shows to make the trip properly worthwhile. 

Foals are Friday btw! 

Also PUP.