Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

14 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

I doubt you listen to Jack White or the War on Drugs so you don’t understand their size. I listen to both and I’m aware that they both are a big deal

Much bigger than the acts on the 2013 bill:

The Rolling Stones return to Hyde Park with Mick Taylor | Welwyn Hatfield  Times

Shit man, I just noticed I had a ticket to TWOD next month at the O2. Pretty weird for a band I’ve never listened to. Also I wonder what my White Stripes poster on the wall is doing there considering I’ve never heard of Jack White.

The point is that the Stones have a track record for pulling in big supports. It’s not a guarantee but it’s not off the table.

Edited by Matt42

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Shit man, I just noticed I had a ticket to TWOD next month at the O2. Pretty weird for a band I’ve never listened to. Also I wonder what my White Stripes poster on the wall is doing there considering I’ve never heard of Jack White.

Yeah it's annoying when people make assumptions and act patronisingly

13 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

Was getting smaller slots in 2013, though. Subbed the NME Stage at R&L that year.

But yeah, on their last stadium tour in 2018 they had acts like Florence and the Machine, Liam Gallagher and Elbow, so I don’t think Jack White is too big for it. Not that I’d be outright expecting it.

Neither do I but I think both Jack White and the war on drugs are too big for both of them to appear on the same bill which is what Matt has suggested. They could both open for the Stones but on different days 

15 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Was clearly just a reference to your condescending nonsense yesterday and a constant know-it-all attitude to anything related to the popularity of band X with the kids 

18 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The point is that the Stones have a track record for pulling in big supports. It’s not a guarantee but it’s not off the table.

When I saw the stones , Florence and the machine was supporting 

10 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

There's also the point that keeps getting made in the BST thread that the Stones aren't footing the bill for the support on the Hyde Park date so the promoter will likely cheap out compared to their stadium gigs - especially as they have to book like 15 supports. 

Potentially but I don’t think the event has sold out yet.

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

Subbed T and Reading that year too. Mental to think that now.

He played a secret set in the smallest tent in 2021. Don't think it was particularly busy either - against Tom Grennan for context

Jake Bugg subbing Reading/T was weird on the day (I was there). I think he was given these bookings in anticipation his second album was going to be massive, as his debut was pretty big. I think the industry was looking for a big new indie name so he was given a leg up. Unfortunately his second album fell with a thud and here we are.

5 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Huge fall from grace he had. Pretty mind blowing he reached those heights in the first place and so quickly. 

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Jake Bugg subbing Reading/T was weird on the day (I was there). I think he was given these bookings in anticipation his second album was going to be massive, as his debut was pretty big. I think the industry was looking for a big new indie name so he was given a leg up. Unfortunately his second album fell with a thud and here we are.

Pretty much what I was going to say - festivals like glastonbury hedging their bets for a future headliner (building history with him as they have with Stormzy, Billie etc) and getting it wrong.

Just now, gfa said:

Pretty much what I was going to say - festivals like glastonbury hedging their bets for a future headliner (building history with him as they have with Stormzy, Billie etc) and getting it wrong.

I can’t blame them though his first album was pretty big and lightning bolt was a massive track summer 2013. He was a name on everyone’s lips and all signs were pointing to a Sam’s Town for his second album. It’s all down to the fact that the second album just was ignored by the general public, that’s the sticker. People just didn’t engage with it. 

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

The National impressed everyone except those who knew their songs and hoped they’d play their favourite ones. A non-fans set.

It’s a fair call. A festival sub-slot to a load of people waiting for the Foos probably isn’t the time to be breaking out Geese of Beverley Rd.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

It’s a fair call. A festival sub-slot to a load of people waiting for the Foos probably isn’t the time to be breaking out Geese of Beverley Rd.

No, but it wasn’t a hits set either. Looking back, it’s a good setlist, it’s just that most the songs weren’t out yet. I guess if you think most the crowd won’t know your songs, you might as well play ones nobody would know anyway.

I think TWOD would be great if they were Park headliner size, but they're too big for that and, like I was saying a few weeks ago, not 'well-known' enough for Pyramid sub.

I'd love to be proved wrong, and also be happy if the crowd cleared out a bit for me.