Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

I don't think that's telling us much new. As discussed ad nauseam for insurance reasons they won't make the decision to cancel, it will need to come from government advice.

Ugh, I was really sure before that if it was cancelled they'd issue refunds but you guys are giving me the fear that I'm potentially looking at not going again until 2022. If lucky.

11 minutes ago, northernringo said:

No huge jump once again but the positive cases/tests ration increased once again. Number of tests carried out dropped once again too for some reason.

Despite what some people would have you believe, we aren't on the same growth curve as Italy (yet). 

Do you work in this sort of thing Ringo? 

5 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Ugh, I was really sure before that if it was cancelled they'd issue refunds but you guys are giving me the fear that I'm potentially looking at not going again until 2022. If lucky.

I'm sure they will issue refunds , they would piss too many people off if they didn't

Let's hope Italy is the worst Europe has to suffer. Reading the above, I'm convinced (and want to be convinced) there will be no decision on cancellation until as late as is possible (Early May?) and no one including the government will wish to cancel unless forced to, so preparation work will still proceed.

However, to repeat what I said elsewhere I really don't think it is appropriate for the festival to make any more announcements on acts until the virus peak is past, it's dubious taste to do so, there's no real pressing need for them to do so, and they'd just look silly if they made announcements and quickly after were forced to cancel the festival.

Just now, Tuna said:

Yes, given the timing of the payment and the immediate use of funds, I suspect we'll get concrete contingency plans given to us when the payment window is announced.

That is a good point actually. If they make people aware at point of paying that a refund is possible in event of cancellation I'm not sure how legitimately pissed off people will be? If it was me I'd probably be holding off making any big festival purchases until nearer the date. That said I rarely buy anything anyway as my tent/sleeping bag etc are all years old and still good. It would only be a bit of booze, which will get drunk!

6 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

Do you work in this sort of thing Ringo? 

I'm a Data Scientist so have a decent knowledge of statistics. Don't know much about biology (beyond A-Level anyway) or viruses themselves but at the end of the day it is just numbers really :) 

My figure compiling, etc. has been pretty basic to date though and I'm doing it entirely as a personal project. If I get some time this weekend I'm planning to run some analysis on the figures I've compiled so far but not sure how likely that will be.

4 minutes ago, northernringo said:

I'm a Data Scientist so have a decent knowledge of statistics. Don't know much about biology (beyond A-Level anyway) or viruses themselves but at the end of the day it is just numbers really :) 

My figure compiling, etc. has been pretty basic to date though and I'm doing it entirely as a personal project. If I get some time this weekend I'm planning to run some analysis on the figures I've compiled so far but not sure how likely that will be.

Has this crisis made you despair at the general level of understanding of statistics amongst the general population? :D

Edited by Madyaker

Southside Festival, huge festival with camping in Germany on June:

Dear festival fans, we are currently receiving many inquiries about the Corona virus.  The current situation is as follows:
 We are currently assuming that the festival will take place quite normally.  We continue to monitor developments closely and are in close contact with the responsible authorities.  If they come to the conclusion that events have to be canceled, we will of course inform you accordingly.
 In the extremely unlikely event that our party has to be canceled without replacement, you as a ticket buyer are of course entitled to a reimbursement of the ticket costs.

IMG_20200311_155352.jpg

Edited by AlexOvd

4 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Ooo cool! I'll be applying for Data Science jobs when I finally finish my PhD next year, any tips for getting a first job? 😅

Just now, Matt42 said:

Can I moot something stupid. Willing to take the hit.

Whats the deal with the Pilton Pop Party licence. Is it in September? Could Glasto be moved to September?

Surely that’s way more complicated than booking replacement acts for international artists who have cancelled? As was your argument earlier. 

It will either happen this year or it won’t. It will not be rescheduled. 

11 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Do you know much about a science book? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Can I moot something stupid. Willing to take the hit.

Whats the deal with the Pilton Pop Party licence. Is it in September? Could Glasto be moved to September?

The licence is basically for a village fete so I can't see how that would transfer to a multi-stage multi-day mega festival really.

2 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Surely that’s way more complicated than booking replacement acts for international artists who have cancelled? As was your argument earlier. 

It will either happen this year or it won’t. It will not be rescheduled. 

Probably. I only thought it because we’ve been running the argument that Glastonbury is a working dairy farm for the rest of the year (which it is) but there is technically one time of year when it isn’t. 

1 minute ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Southside using ‘extremely unlikely’ is all I needed to boost my confidence back above 90%

Hate to potentially bring that percentage down but I think it reads as ‘it’s extremely unlikely we will cancel AND not have a replacement of some sort’

Still definitely good news though

19 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Is right lad, your updates have been top notch, keep up the good work.