Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

There is a petition to close schools with over 250,000 signatures, of their plan is to not close schools just yet but they shut parliament down then I’d imagine there would be complete uproar.

Yeah, but these are the same people who preached austerity and pay freezes then turned round and gave themselves a whopping pay rise, so the sense of shame is low! 

34 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Might shock all of you but I did think this. Get the worst of this over by end of March? Ambitious?

Unrealistic. You don’t get a pandemic ‘over with’ in a few weeks. What’s critical now is the rate of growth. Italy is fucked, but if they do manage to lock themselves down, and there’s more time in the UK to prepare, that’s a material difference in the context of the outbreak. 

From my unqualified position, I think I’d like to see swift and significant action by the UK government to protect the country. They’ve supposedly taken back control, ffs. Let them use it. 

But in reality, we have Johnson whimsically pondering about “letting it move through the population” (AKA lets allow a few thousand to die so the financial sector isn’t too inconvenienced) with Philip bloody Schofield. 

I was supposed to have been attending the private view of the new Kurt Jackson exhibition - Art. Music. Activism. Kurt Jackson, Glastonbury Festival and Greenpeace next Friday in my home tome of St Just, this would almost certainly have also been attended (and probably opened by) Michael and other members of the Eavis family. Sadly I have just received the email below, and whilst yes I understand the reasoning for the cancellation I truly hope the festival don't take a similar stance.  :(

"It is with a heavy heart, that in light of the escalating Coronavirus situation, the Directors of the Jackson Foundation have decided to cancel the private view for ‘Art. Music. Activism. Kurt Jackson, Glastonbury Festival and Greenpeace’ on March 20th.

We have an obligation to our employees and visitors, and a responsibility to the community of our small town and the local area beyond. We strongly believe that bringing hundreds of guests from all over the country, the local area (and the world) and concentrating them in a social space for a couple of hours for them then to disperse their separate ways (to the local pubs, restaurants, accommodation etc) is not the responsible thing to do at this time.

Some people may think we are overreacting, but unfortunately it is increasing likely that this pre-emptive decision will, by the end of next week, seem the inevitable, and only choice.

We are planning, all being well, for the exhibition itself to open as advertised on Saturday 21st at 10am.

An exhibition catalogue has been produced and will be available to order from www.kurtjacksoneditions.com on March 20th. A selection of images is already uploaded to the gallery website with more added soon. For enquiries regarding purchases or anything else, please contact us.

Art. Music. Activism. Kurt Jackson, Glastonbury Festival and Greenpeace’ will still be an exciting and dynamic experience with the series of works drawn together from the last two decades of Kurt Jackson attending the Glastonbury Festival alongside the incredible ‘Greenpeace: 50 years of Making Waves’, which celebrates the history of the pioneering environmental charity through an incredible range of iconic photographs.

This decision was not taken lightly. An immense amount of work has gone into delivering an incredible preview, and we apologise to all of you out there who were looking forward to visiting on the night and have made arrangements for travel and accommodation. We hope you are able to recoup any expenses should you decide to cancel your trip to St Just. 

We would once again like to apologise for the disappointment and inconvenience caused by this decision, and we hope to see you at some point over the run of this wonderful exhibition.

All the best,
 Zinzi and Fynn Tucker. Caroline and Kurt Jackson."

Edited by StoneCircle

5 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Unrealistic. You don’t get a pandemic ‘over with’ in a few weeks. What’s critical now is the rate of growth. Italy is fucked, but if they do manage to lock themselves down, and there’s more time in the UK to prepare, that’s a material difference in the context of the outbreak. 

From my unqualified position, I think I’d like to see swift and significant action by the UK government to protect the country. They’ve supposedly taken back control, ffs. Let them use it. 

But in reality, we have Johnson whimsically pondering about “letting it move through the population” (AKA lets allow a few thousand to die so the financial sector isn’t too inconvenienced) with Philip bloody Schofield. 

Not just the financial sector tbf, but no one is considering the impact these Italian measures are going to have on everyone’s mental health.

If you consider that most of those who die of covid-19 would be expected to die in the near future anyway, is it really worth putting the entire population under house arrest to stop it spreading? There are going to be a lot of suicides if people have to spend 3-6 months under house arrest. 

9 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Ah, so the number of infections is actually much higher than the stats show at the moment and they're just playing catch up? 

From various reading about it, it sounds like you have your incubation period of anything up to 14 days (they've been pushing that its mainly 5 in the media today though) but then you don't go straight to pneumonia and death, it sounds like a 1-2 weeks of being ill first. It must've been there a while if the first diagnosis was someone close to death. 

Italy only locked down this weekend, so that is a LOT of people moving around who've been there now, many not taking it seriously at all. Plus we've got confirmed community spread here.  The graphs don't point towards us being exactly where Italy were 2 weeks ago, but that anecdotal stuff doesn't exactly reassure

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

From various reading about it, it sounds like you have your incubation period of anything up to 14 days (they've been pushing that its mainly 5 in the media today though) but then you don't go straight to pneumonia and death, it sounds like a 1-2 weeks of being ill first. It must've been there a while if the first diagnosis was someone close to death. 

Italy only locked down this weekend, so that is a LOT of people moving around who've been there now, many not taking it seriously at all. Plus we've got confirmed community spread here.  The graphs don't point towards us being exactly where Italy were 2 weeks ago, but that anecdotal stuff doesn't exactly reassure

We’ll be there soon enough. It’s our governments plan. Take it on the chin. Will that policy hold if NHS folds under pressure and plenty ‘younger and no underlying health conditions’ start suffering. It’s certainly be recorded in Italy.

So people don’t accuse me of being hyperbolic il ask this in the most calm way that I can.

Why are so many dying in Italy? Why is their death count going up faster than China did? Why is Italy’s daily death rate significantly higher than Iran?

Can someone explain this to me.

8 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Not just the financial sector tbf, but no one is considering the impact these Italian measures are going to have on everyone’s mental health.

If you consider that most of those who die of covid-19 would be expected to die in the near future anyway, is it really worth putting the entire population under house arrest to stop it spreading? There are going to be a lot of suicides if people have to spend 3-6 months under house arrest. 

Not to mention the potentially fatal impact on the economy.... yes the economy, it might be unpopular to focus on this but it needs to be considered.

If we take it as a given that the NHS is stretched and underfunded, if we’re plunged into a deep recession then how does that help the NHS in the longer term?

Its really not as black and white as locking the country down to save lives, lives will be lost in the long term if it’s not handled correctly 

'No testing on arrival from Milan'

Mattha Busby

Alberto Volpe, a 33-year-old, was feverish when he flew from Milan to Gatwick on Sunday after being forced to return home from a skiing holiday in Chamonix due to an injury to his girlfriend.

He said: 

The captain informed the port authorities that people with the coronavirus may have been onboard as the cabin crew reported a few people coughing, so we waited an hour and a half before disembarking but no one came on board to check us.

I find it crazy no one checked us. It was just like any other flight. In Italy, everyone is having their temperature measured. It is not happening in the UK and, most importantly, not on a flight containing people coming from the now quarantined areas. How else can you contain any possible risk? It’s bizarre.

We took the train home to Brighton and I measured my body temperature which was 37.5 degrees and I started having diarrhoea. We rang 111 and explained where we had been and were told we should be in quarantine. They gave us the option of driving to a tent for testing or waiting for someone to call us within 48 hours to arrange a home test. But more than two days later and we were not contacted. 

We rang them again this morning and they literally word for word said the same things. I’m sure I will be fine but I can’t understand why it takes so long to test someone who has a fever and has been in the area.

Madness!

2 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

We’ll be there soon enough. It’s our governments plan. Take it on the chin. Will that policy hold if NHS folds under pressure and plenty ‘younger and no underlying health conditions’ start suffering. It’s certainly be recorded in Italy.

How well do you think the conservatives would fund the NHS if the economy goes down the pan and we go into a massive recession, mass unemployment etc?

How many lives lost then? 

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

So people don’t accuse me of being hyperbolic il ask this in the most calm way that I can.

Why are so many dying in Italy? Why is their death count going up faster than China did? Why is Italy’s daily death rate significantly higher than Iran?

Can someone explain this to me.

Over 23% of their population is 65+, highest percentage of that group in all of Europe. Essentially, they’ve just got more elderly.. and as Neil pointed out, they’ve been shocking with their initial testing/response.

1 minute ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Over 23% of their population is 65+, highest percentage of that group in all of Europe. Essentially, they’ve just got more elderly.. and as Neil pointed out, they’ve been shocking with their initial testing/response.

How much of the population in China is 65+?

The highest recorded number of deaths in China per day was 108 I believe. 196 today in Italy. 

Are you still hyperbolic for thinking that something stinks? 

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

How much of the population in China is 65+?

The highest recorded number of deaths in China per day was 108 I believe. 196 today in Italy. 

Are you still hyperbolic for thinking that something stinks? 

What do you think "stinks"? 

The elderly thing is a factor but the main reason is lack of early testing. Japan has one of the oldest average populations in the world but they are in close proximity to China and have had experience with SARS so Japan were on it straight away. 

With Italy it’s probably more likely they thought the same as us, it’s the other side of the world, these things usually blow over and let’s just go skiing. They didn’t know they had a problem until people starting dying. 

Edited by squirrelarmy