Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

1 minute ago, D-Low said:

If tickets carried over to next year I wouldn’t be nearly half as worried as I am right now. I know it’s very unlikely. It just wouldn’t be viable but if anything was to come out of them cancelling, letting ticket holders retain their tickets would be the very small silver lining. 

i don’t think I can go through October’s stress again 😩

It's not very unlikely. We've seen event after event allow tickets to be carried over. Including Snowbombing most recently. I think Glastonbury will allow for tickets to be carried over and everything else goes on sale in October. That is the best case scenario and also what I see being most likely.

2 minutes ago, terryaanderson said:

How could you justify shutting down Glastonbury with two hundred thousand on site and outdoors, without shutting down the disease hotbed with a million users a day that is the London Underground?

Or any city anywhere on a weekend in Summer.

1 minute ago, terryaanderson said:

How could you justify shutting down Glastonbury with two hundred thousand on site and outdoors, without shutting down the disease hotbed with a million users a day that is the London Underground?

And also consider those massive holiday parks, centre parcs,  with pools, indoor entertainment venues. Kids softplays etc with thousands of people changeover every Saturday. Are they going to close them? 

13 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I completely agree with your post, everyone should be treated with care and dismissive-ness is not fair at all. However please don't be dismissive about anyone struggle with any type of mental health issue. Each person is impacted differently and could very well be struggling if they can't go outside. You wouldn't know their current mental state and this type of action might very well be a trigger to get worse. I'm not saying they shouldn't make further decisions because of that just asking please don't refer to people struggling with mental health as 'fragile' in ay type of scenario. Please don't think I'm having a go cause I don't mean to be.

Very true - was a bit fired up about the old people! Will edit now 

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

Sorry for what's coming below - this rant isn't aimed at you specifically nor is any offence at all - I've just hit a bit of a boiling point on some of this

"expected to die in the near future"??? This isn't just affecting people who are close to death, they may have years left in them without this accelerating it. If my parents in their 60s die from it, when they may not have done, is that acceptable because of their relatively advanced age? My Grandad is generally fine at 83, maybe got a good few years left in him taking away this virus, would that be acceptable too? 

This isn't the first time I've read something like this and it's a really dangerous assumption that it will mainly kill people who are nearly at the end of their lives. Ill people in their 20s-50s too, poor immune systems or ashma etc yes but doesn't mean they deserve to die. 

On the mental health thing if people are so bloody fragile that they can't stop going out and doing exactly what they want for a bit (for the good of others!!!), it's ridiculous and I don't really care about their mental health in that situation- what about the mental health of those with pre existing conditions who feel they are just a statistic because "only" they will die? or the doctors who read the accounts from Italy who are seeing the government just carrying on with some platitudes? To be honest it strips back the facade of our supposedly "civilised" society. It's not like being in prison nor is it house arrest, it's a necessary inconvenience to protect others. You can still work, can still get food, you just can't do all these luxury UNNECESSARY things that we normally do on a daily basis. For a while. 

As was pointed out earlier, they may not be taking measures because doing it "too early" means people will not accept them.The scary thing is people seem to need an absolute disaster before taking things seriously. It seems to be changing on here because everyone is reasonable and normal and thinks for themselves, but a lot of the the general public still either couldn't give a fat one about it to be honest, or are just still meme-ing about it and saying its overblown.

The biggest issue is that the healthcare doesn't get overwhelmed, meaning both people who may have survived won't get treatment so will die, and those who have normal everyday issues heart attacks, diabetes complications etc won't get treatment and may die too. The point of delaying spread is avoiding that nightmare scenario.  

I would say to anyone who might have thoughts along the lines of "only the old and already ill will die anyway" - imagine if it was your parents, or grandparents. Everyone deserves to go out with some dignity, and the way people are dying in these Italian hospitals is far from it - due to the nature of it their families can't come in with them so they're dying alone and scared. Nobody deserves that and any measures taken will be to avoid that as much as possible. I implore you to read those accounts if you think this isn't a big deal. 

Accuse me of scaremongering all you want, but this is the reality of people in Italy right now, very close to us - NOT Iran and NOT China (as if it matters but I know a lot of people don't see those places as real or anything to do with us). Basically, an impassioned plea that we need to take this seriously and call out the attitude that the older and weaker don't matter. They do. 

I am in a long distance relationship. I live in South London and my girlfriend of 18 months is an hour away in Brighton. It’s been this way for a few months and will continue for another couple of years (due to circumstances) when we’ll finally be able to move in together.

We have no car so rely on trains to spend time together. Usually spend Friday night until Monday morning together, alternating weekends between London and Brighton. 

If the government cancel all the trains and make us stay at home for months and not see it other it’ll absolutely cripple my mental health. I have no doubt others will suffer serious mental issues if we are all placed under house arrest. Suicides will happen. Coronavirus is no doubt an unfriendly disease but the alternative is far, far worse. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, terryaanderson said:

On the face of it that’s a really good point, apart from Glastonbury being an unnecessary luxury and the underground being the thing that keeps London running.

2 minutes ago, Smeble said:

On the face of it that’s a really good point, apart from Glastonbury being an unnecessary luxury and the underground being the thing that keeps London running.

Except if you don't shut down both, you're not decreasing the overall sickness number or even delaying it (as Glastonbury is a drop in the bucket). You'd just shut down Glatonbury for "optics" essentially. 

Also, in terms of what's important to many people's lives, Glastonbury takes precedence over a lot of the reasons people are taking the subway in the morning. 

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I am in a long distance relationship. I live in South London and my girlfriend of 18 months is an hour away in Brighton. It’s been this way for a few months and will continue for another couple of years (due to circumstances) when we’ll finally be able to move in together.

We have no car so rely on trains to spend time together. Usually spend Friday night until Monday morning together, alternating weekends between London and Brighton. 

If the government cancel all the trains and make us stay at home for months and not see it other it’ll absolutely cripple my mental health. I have no doubt others will suffer serious mental issues if we are all placed under house arrest. Suicides will happen. Coronavirus is no doubt an unfriendly disease but the alternative is far, far worse. 

Didnt mean to offend - should've been more sensitive about the mental health part - suffered with that sort of thing myself and really should know better (though I'm harsher on myself about it than anything I'd say to other people!) 

Tried to edit the post but cant so asked for it to be removed or edited by mods. 

If it helps, I dont think we'll get to the point where such travel is restricted, especially on such a commuter/close to each other route. I'm imagining "restrictions" will just be on football, gigs, maybe bars etc -  removing the luxury stuff essentially.

1 minute ago, assorted said:

Except if you don't shut down both, you're not decreasing the overall sickness number or even delaying it (as Glastonbury is a drop in the bucket). You'd just shut down Glatonbury for "optics" essentially. 

Also, in terms of what's important to many people's lives, Glastonbury takes precedence over a lot of the reasons people are taking the subway in the morning. 

Also I think, genuinely, closing down Glastonbury could cause damage to a large proportion of people's mental health. This may sound really sad but I was put on anti-depressants shortly before last Glastonbury and missing out on tickets was one of the (many) reasons. I feel if it got cancelled this year I may well need to go back on them as I have kind of being living for the festival since October sale success.

Just now, Chrisp1986 said:

Also I think, genuinely, closing down Glastonbury could cause damage to a large proportion of people's mental health. This may sound really sad but I was put on anti-depressants shortly before last Glastonbury and missing out on tickets was one of the (many) reasons. I feel if it got cancelled this year I may well need to go back on them as I have kind of being living for the festival since October sale success.

I was about to type similar was looking  for the words for it ... thanks 

1 minute ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Also depends if you consider the economic incentive of hosting Glastonbury quite essential. May be a luxury for spectators of the festival. But workers, not so much.

Cases could keep rising for months – UK health secretary

Responding to Hunt’s assertion that England’s deputy chief medical officer had said the peak for UK cases could come within the next fortnight, Hancock replied that Dr Jenny Harries had actually said the climb towards the peak is expected to intensify within the next couple of weeks – and it could go on climbing for months.

The deputy chief medical officer ... said that, in the next couple of weeks, we may see the numbers starting to rise fast to their peak.

We do not expect numbers to peak in the next fortnight, we expect numbers to continue to rise after that and the peak would be after a matter of a couple of months, rather than in a matter of a couple weeks. This is a marathon and not a sprint.

So they’re anticipating the peak being in June

My dad is an organiser of an event with over 5000 people in June. At this current moment he is currently pressing on with preparations and meeting the rest of the team so that the event can go ahead as planned if possible, the Glasto team will be doing exactly the same. However, he is saying that he thinks it is extremely unlikely that they will be able to go ahead and that it will most likely have to be cancelled. Obviously, he isn't cancelling the event at this point, however he is just preparing to have to cancel, as well as preparing at the same time to go ahead. I think this will be the same situation with any big events/festivals taking place this summer, and that's why it's impossible to say at this point whether Glastonbury and other festivals will 100% go ahead or 100% be cancelled as it depends on the spread of the virus over the next month or two, not just in the UK, but worldwide.

19 minutes ago, terryaanderson said:

Very easily on the basis that the tube basically allows London to exist and closing it would cripple the city.

The US president, Donald Trump, has hinted that he may advise Americans not to travel to Europe and will discuss declaring a national emergency when he gives a televised address later on Wednesday. He is due to speak at 8pm EDT (midnight GMT).

3 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Agreed. When people target just events they are de-valuing culture, the arts, communal gatherings, things that are often treated with less import in capitalist societies but actually have as much import to the human condition as many of the things viewed as necessities.

But again, it's not like shutting one thing down or the other works anyways. You have to shut it all down or else what you are doing is simply symbolic with no basis in science.